LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by RichieB »

With reference to no specific post on the matter, the Jordan O debate has in my opinion gone past the point where it is of interest. Perhaps a separate thread for those who wish to continue the discussion? I prefer to see posts on this thread which relate specifically to transfers in and out and tempt us with fantasies of players we probably won't get.
Just my opinion.....
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RichieB wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:09 am With reference to no specific post on the matter, the Jordan O debate has in my opinion gone past the point where it is of interest. Perhaps a separate thread for those who wish to continue the discussion? I prefer to see posts on this thread which relate specifically to transfers in and out and tempt us with fantasies of players we probably won't get.
Just my opinion.....
Yes 100% agree.
The Simon Cowell wannabes need to calm down a bit!!!
Suggesting that a young bloke who isn't the finished article by the age of 21 has no future is a pathetic opinion.
It's not as if anyone has been playing in a settled team and so quoting recent stats just isn't relevant.
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Fissler suggesting Harry Potter a done deal as well as a major academy overhaul

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest- ... f-academy/
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

DingDong wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:07 am
Mark62 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:21 pmSo I hope all these posters that are bringing up these stats, won’t be the same ones that are complaining that we haven’t given a young player a chance, when he moves to another club.
Given a chance? Olowofela has had 39 appearances so far, and if that isn't given someone a chance then what is???

Ask any academy grad what they would wish for and they'll tell you just an opportunity ie a run of back-to-back games during a season, 39 games is nearly 2 seasons!

BTW scoring 6 tries in 39 appearances, who'd sign him for a starting place in the Premiership? IMO he needs to make way for a more effective winger and develop more from the bench and in Prem Cup games.
Exactly the point I was making. :smt023
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Harry Potter

Post by fortysix »

Well the Olafewla question looks as if it has been answered. Harry Potter, no less, hope he can weave some magic....
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Harry Potter

Post by WhitecapTiger »

In case anyone was wondering.....

LEICESTER Tigers are hoping that Harry Potter will cast a magic spell on the wing next season after luring him away from Australia.

Wimbledon-born Potter qualifies for both England and Australia after his parents moved to Melbourne when he was ten.

Potter, who has spent the last four seasons playing for Sydney University where he won consecutive Shute Shields, was recommended by Tigers’ new attack coach Rob Taylor.

Potter, who can also play at outside centre and on the wing, signed for Super Rugby franchise Melbourne Rebels last August. He will arrive in Leicester later this summer.

Meanwhile, The Rugby Paper understands that the Tigers are having a massive clear out of backroom staff, following the departure of chief executive Simon Cohen two weeks ago.

We have been told that one of those leaving will be head of performance pathway and talent identification Ged Glynn, an ally of Cohen.

This comes in the weeks after Andrea Pinchen was promoted to succeed Cohen, ahead of Steve Borthwick’s arrival as head coach on July 1.

NEIL FISSLER
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

happywomble wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:11 pm Fissler suggesting Harry Potter a done deal as well as a major academy overhaul

Good news that HP is looking like a done deal, and that GG is likely to be going. I am now quite excited about the building of a cohesive team structure, and fresh blood in the boardroom.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Dangerous4 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:30 pm
happywomble wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:11 pm Fissler suggesting Harry Potter a done deal as well as a major academy overhaul

Good news that HP is looking like a done deal, and that GG is likely to be going. I am now quite excited about the building of a cohesive team structure, and fresh blood in the boardroom.
Isn't it already confirmed Glynn is leaving?
Flash

Re: Harry Potter

Post by Flash »

Looks like he gets paid to write articles based on what he reads here.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

It was confirmed on Friday.
Fissler ahead of the curve as usual.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Dangerous4 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:14 pm
Mark62 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:21 pm [*]
DingDong wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:01 pm For all you stat lovers!! -for the last 5 Premiership games Olowofela started on the wing, his stats in bold and our other winger that day in brackets:

Versus Worcester
Metres run - 22 (0) - Tackles made - 4 (6) - Tackles missed - 5 (1)

Versus Sale
Metres run - 4 (13) - Tackles made - 2 (3) - Tackles missed - 3 (0)

Versus Bath
Metres run - 31 (30) - Tackles made - 5 (2) - Tackles missed - 3 (1)

Versus Bristol
Metres run - 29 (140) - Tackles made - 6 (9) - Tackles missed - 5 (0)

Versus Irish
Metres run - 60 (23) - Tackles made - 1 (5) - Tackles missed - 2 (1)

Overall makes average metres, doesn't make as many tackles, misses a whole lot more! The second worse for tries scored (by one try!). Start him in the Premiership Cup games but not Premiership starting quality by a country mile, if you want Tigers to compete at the top.
So I hope all these posters that are bringing up these stats, won’t be the same ones that are complaining that we haven’t given a young player a chance, when he moves to another club.
So play him even though his overall quality is below Premiership standard? Then wonder why we end up low down!

How crazy can you get?
Garbage in - garbage out. Who were the opposition? Who was he playing against? Who was playing inside him. I suspect Olowofela would have more try scoring opportunities playing outside Messrs Youngs, Ford, ANOTHER, Tuilagi, with May on one wing and Veianu at Fullback than he would if I was playing at centre, my best mate Bill was playing inside me and Phil the boot was playing at FH. Utterly meaningless data. I guess being coached by E Jones and S Borthwick might also help to develop a players confidence and ability as opposed to a coaching team that has just been ripped apart.

We lost our way as a club when we stopped investing in homegrown players. Tuilagi is the last player to have come from our academy and become an automatic first choice in the Tigers XV never mind at international level. Have patience and give younger players a chance. They won't all make it, but some will and they will form the basis of a team with a Tigers culture.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

BFG wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:04 pm
RichieB wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:09 am With reference to no specific post on the matter, the Jordan O debate has in my opinion gone past the point where it is of interest. Perhaps a separate thread for those who wish to continue the discussion? I prefer to see posts on this thread which relate specifically to transfers in and out and tempt us with fantasies of players we probably won't get.
Just my opinion.....
Yes 100% agree.
Suggesting that a young bloke who isn't the finished article by the age of 21 has no future is a pathetic opinion.
It's not as if anyone has been playing in a settled team and so quoting recent stats just isn't relevant.
Ok, I'm going to bite...

a) You end a sentence asserting that other people need to calm down by using not 1 but 3 exclamation marks!!!
b) You agree that the topic of Olowofela is no longer interesting and not relevant to the thread - then you continue discussing the topic of Olowofela.
c) Olowofela is 22 already.
d) No one is suggesting he should be discarded because he isn't the finished article. But after nearly 40 first team appearances, the fact that he still can't tackle is a bit of a problem and needs working on pretty sharpish if he's going to be as good as we all hope he will be.
e) I can just imagine the coaches meeting and discussing player performances:
Mike Ford: "Olowofela's tackle statistics have been..."
Steve Brothwick: "Hold on there Fordy! The team hasn't been settled so let's not waste our time looking at statistics! Anyone got a coin we can toss to decide if we think Jordan's been playing well or not?"

Personally, I look forward to seeing Olowofela get more game time when rugby resumes and, either improving his tackling, beating more defenders and scoring a lot more tries, or settling into the role of a useful backup player.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Tiglon wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:14 pm
Just my opinion.....
Yes 100% agree.
Ok, I'm going to bite...

a) You end a sentence asserting that other people need to calm down by using not 1 but 3 exclamation marks!!!
b) You agree that the topic of Olowofela is no longer interesting and not relevant to the thread - then you continue discussing the topic of Olowofela.
d) No one is suggesting he should be discarded because he isn't the finished article. But after nearly 40 first team appearances, the fact that he still can't tackle is a bit of a problem and needs working on pretty sharpish if he's going to be as good as we all hope he will be.
Steve Brothwick: "Hold on there Fordy! The team hasn't been settled so let's not waste our time looking at statistics! Anyone got a coin we can toss to decide if we think Jordan's been playing well or not?"

Personally, I look forward to seeing Olowofela get more game time when rugby resumes and, either improving his tackling, beating more defenders and scoring a lot more tries, or settling into the role of a useful backup player.
Just a thought but maybe your imagination is getting a bit carried away with expectation, maybe!
Wingers stats can often look not so good, it's a fact that teams attack the edges more often.
Given the unsettled nature of the last few seasons I'd suggest being a bit more patient and giving everyone a chance to grow.
It's a team game, Nathan Earle looked superb with Sarries and hasn't looked as good with Quins.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Just a note re Potter, although he signed for the Rebels, he hasn’t played for them yet so it is like signing a championship player.

He might turn out to be another Olowefela as opposed to a Holmes but unless he gets a run in a settled successful back line I guess we’ll never know.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

BFG wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:46 pm
Tiglon wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:14 pm

Yes 100% agree.
Ok, I'm going to bite...

Just a thought but maybe your imagination is getting a bit carried away with expectation, maybe!
Wingers stats can often look not so good, it's a fact that teams attack the edges more often.
Given the unsettled nature of the last few seasons I'd suggest being a bit more patient and giving everyone a chance to grow.
It's a team game, Nathan Earle looked superb with Sarries and hasn't looked as good with Quins.
Nope, I just have higher standards than you. You might be happy with Tigers being 11th every season, but I'd rather they were in the top 4.

And no, it isn't a fact that teams attack the edges more often. You just made that up.

Finally, how many times do I have to say "I hope Olowofela gets more opportunities to progress and more game time" before people stop accusing me of not wanting to give him a chance or wanting to discard him? You're arguing with things I haven't even written.