Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by Hot_Charlie »

sk 88 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:27 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:03 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:12 pm I dont think we really lost sight of the academy,it was still defeating all comers. The secret though is the transitioning from academy to the first team. I dont believe the coaching setup was good enough to blood them,I believe it is now though.
Before the overhaul the academy was not in a good way. It's one of the things Glynn oversaw that went well. Getting in Jamie Taylor and breaking up the old boys brigade that were more interested in what school you went to and who your dad was than your ability. The academy shake up produced the perennial winners of recent times and a return to us having a development team full of potential.

The development pathways has certainly taken a step forward under Murphy and McGinty with the loans getting our development squad playing senior rugby at lower levels.
Sam Edwards - son of Diccon
Harry Glynn - son of Ged
Jack Rowntree - son of Graham.

Kit Smith - Oakham
Emeka Ilione - Rugby

Leaving Archie Vannes, no parental connection, not a public school boy.

Not that I really disagree about your points the academy is better now but, you know, let's not over egg that pudding.
Let’s look at the detail though. For starters, there’s a good chance natural ability can be passed down; not always, but reasonably often.

Now on to schools: surely it’s pointless looking at where they went to school whilst in the Academy? Many go to state schools but move into the private schools when they move - on assumes partly based on the the possible necessity to board and their academic capabilities?

Really you have to look where they were before the academy to make a judgement.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

It is true that a number of academy players do move to, for want of a better term, partnership schools for their 6th form
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

I have a feeling we are going to have a popcorn Friday and/or popcorn Monday. Bank holidays have been announcement days recently if my memory serves me correctly.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:00 pm I have a feeling we are going to have a popcorn Friday and/or popcorn Monday. Bank holidays have been announcement days recently if my memory serves me correctly.
That would lead nicely into the LTTV this week with McGinity - one can only hope!!

Also given we’ve had some form of player / staff announcement every day this week it would imply there is one more day to come.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:35 pmLet’s look at the detail though. For starters, there’s a good chance natural ability can be passed down; not always, but reasonably often.

Now on to schools: surely it’s pointless looking at where they went to school whilst in the Academy? Many go to state schools but move into the private schools when they move - on assumes partly based on the the possible necessity to board and their academic capabilities?

Exactly - do Oakham players get into the academy, or do academy players get into Oakham? I know in the late 90s/early 00s at least it was about half and half
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:00 pm I have a feeling we are going to have a popcorn Friday and/or popcorn Monday. Bank holidays have been announcement days recently if my memory serves me correctly.
Given that McGinty’s interview is tonight on LTTV, wouldn’t be surprised if the signings are announced at 12 or live when the video is released at 8pm.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:35 pm

Before the overhaul the academy was not in a good way. It's one of the things Glynn oversaw that went well. Getting in Jamie Taylor and breaking up the old boys brigade that were more interested in what school you went to and who your dad was than your ability. The academy shake up produced the perennial winners of recent times and a return to us having a development team full of potential.

The development pathways has certainly taken a step forward under Murphy and McGinty with the loans getting our development squad playing senior rugby at lower levels.
Harry Glynn - son of Ged

Kit Smith - Oakham
Emeka Ilione - Rugby

Not that I really disagree about your points the academy is better now but, you know, let's not over egg that pudding.
Let’s look at the detail though. For starters, there’s a good chance natural ability can be passed down; not always, but reasonably often.

I think this has had a thorough airing in the past, and many lower tier coaches and players can point to the talented and worthy who got ignored or passed over for those with position and backing. England (and other countries) have never used the talent base that is available. AWJ is a case in point, not the most talented in the Swansea region but middle-class parents who paid for coaching courses and connections forged.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Scott1 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:22 pm Wow,everyone is agreeing! Things must be looking up 😜
Don’t jinx it 😂.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The influence of Troy Thacker has now thankfully dissipated, as far as I’m aware he’s still coaching County. Not that I hold a grudge but the trials were a sham.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Without deviating too much the Acadamy should , and mostly has been, about finding and nurturing talent for the future - no matter who , no matter from where.It is the nurturing and utilisation that always presents the most difficulty.Leicester have always produced players , though it could be argued that under specific and particular coaches (as has been alluded to in this thread) talent and ability were not always the major factors in play.We undoubtedly have improved massively in getting game time into these young players - not just here - and for that again , the club have to be applauded.It should perhaps also be remembered that the transition of players to senior rugby is much ,much easier in a winning and stable environment - too much pressure and reliance placed on the next young star etc with emphasis placed on first team results.Whilst we cant necessarily claim to have had that stability in recent seasons we are obviously doing something right.Now it needs to go a stage further so we can see and applaud the next Martin Johnson. Harry Ellis or Matt Smith...
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:28 pm
RagingBull wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:18 pm IMO all 5 are worthy of their place.
Vanes - England U18
Rowntree - England U18
Ilione - England U18
Smith - England U18
Edwards - England U17
Glynn - Been starting for Leicester Lions and our A league this season
Thanks RB, while trying to be as inclusive as possible it is also important that players are not discriminated against because of either a surname or school.
Yes the academy actually seems to work now. My point was that it wasn't always like that. As Mark and JP have pointed one of the main issues has been moved on. One of the other main issues went to the Gloucester academy and was then sacked with rumours of bullying if I remember rightly.

The academy prospects in recent years have been excellent and let's hope we see some more break into the squad next season.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Scott1 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 5:12 pm I dont think we really lost sight of the academy,it was still defeating all comers. The secret though is the transitioning from academy to the first team. I dont believe the coaching setup was good enough to blood them,I believe it is now though.

Harry Glynn - son of Ged

Kit Smith - Oakham
Emeka Ilione - Rugby

I know of at least one of those who was at a run of the mill mainstream school all the way, and only went to public school after getting into Tigers academy. No preferential treatment on the way up, just hard earned.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I know for instance when Coley first got into the academy he moved from Robert Smyth to QE, not necessarily because of the education but more because QE were prepared to give more flexibility in time tables to help with the demands of the academy.
I think there are still a number of such establishments, I often see Brooksby Melton college by a players name, not a rugby hotbed as far I’m aware but no doubt work with the academy.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

JP14 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:29 am The influence of Troy Thacker has now thankfully dissipated, as far as I’m aware he’s still coaching County. Not that I hold a grudge but the trials were a sham.
I remember Troy Thacker from the EPDC when I was in the academy.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Reports circulating on Twitter that Ben Muncaster has signed for Edinburgh as many on here predicted.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play