LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:02 pm Would be a interesting Backs coach.
I felt that Quins attack was always their strongest suit especially their fast offloading game.
He has got some ties to the area being from Mansfield and having attended Loughborough University. Not sure I can see his free flowing, offloading attack working with a Borthwick. I'm expecting some more pragmatic and tactical at least initially.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Happy to hear about Mcphillips.
Again, fine prospect.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

baz1664 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:52 pm From the departures it is clear we need at least two new wingers and a lock, i think Henry will be a solid understudy for Ford, as for centre I think the four of Manu, Scott, Eastmond and Taute should suffice with back up from Worth and Hardwick, the back row looks solid, adding Fearns would be class, if Brink keeps fit he could be something special.

Good news Blake is leaving, a coaching re shuffle is very much required!!

One of the key moves SB needs to make is change the captain, TY is not the man for the job, Liebenberg for me would be perfect, young but has a captains head, has done the job before with SA under 20, seems intelligent and has leadership qualities.
TY is a good skipper.
Where others have cried off rather than be team players and continue to work to improve he has stuck around and continued to fight.
The new hooker will be a good addition to the squad and help share the load which is important.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:17 pm
I felt that Quins attack was always their strongest suit especially their fast offloading game.
He has got some ties to the area being from Mansfield and having attended Loughborough University. Not sure I can see his free flowing, offloading attack working with a Borthwick. I'm expecting some more pragmatic and tactical at least initially.

My own italics:

Winning Rugby.The professional game is built on this.We have to learn how to consistently win again.To a great extent , what it looks like and how we do it.does not matter.No club gets tired of winning , and in recent years we have lost the habit.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:44 am

My own italics:

Winning Rugby.The professional game is built on this.We have to learn how to consistently win again.To a great extent , what it looks like and how we do it.does not matter.No club gets tired of winning , and in recent years we have lost the habit.
I think Borthwick will look for winning rugby first and foremost which is what we need. You're right winning is a habit and that's partly down to belief. When you're winning you back the team tactics and your teammates, you don't get players trying to do risky things to make a difference.

I'm assuming Borthwick will look at our strengths and work to those. We've got a good scrum, a decent rolling maul and a lineout that he should be able to make tick. The forwards should be able to carry hard and we've got an international flyhalf that can mix play. I'd put money on us playing territory with the lineout and scrum being used to generate penalties for field position. Ball in hand I'd expect us to have multiple runners cutting lines off of Ford, not playing particularly wide but relying on Ford to pick the right option. When that's working we might go wider again. Initially a big emphasis on us playing on the front foot.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Yes Mark was born in Mansfield but educated at Lawrence Sherriff Grammar school in Rugby and played like his father Neil for Rugby Lions ~ yes they were once in the Premiership! Interesting point that in 89/90 Mark made his 1st XV debut playing alongside his father in the game against Quins.
Could this be a return to his roots in the Midlands??
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Hopefully we might get some announcements in the next couple of days :smt003
A2O
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

BFG wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:37 amTY is a good skipper.
Where others have cried off rather than be team players and continue to work to improve he has stuck around and continued to fight.
The new hooker will be a good addition to the squad and help share the load which is important.
Agree about TY, leads by example but we need a great skipper not just a good one. George Ford would be my pick, already Captained England in both seniors and u20's. Pundits regularly compliment him for his on field leadership and organisation skills both for England and Tigers, Ford also has the right Tigers DNA born from his time in the academy.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

DingDong wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:41 am
BFG wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:37 amTY is a good skipper.
Agree about TY, leads by example but we need a great skipper not just a good one. George Ford would be my pick, already Captained England in both seniors and u20's. Pundits regularly compliment him for his on field leadership and organisation skills both for England and Tigers, Ford also has the right Tigers DNA born from his time in the academy.
Totally agree about Ford and if it’s going anywhere he will get it. The only issue is of course that he will be away with England for up to 12 weeks.
Other alternatives really are few and far between, without us knowing who is coming in. A player with proven international captaincy, as Horwell did at Quins, could do a job.
Within the squad Coley, but his communication style is all his own, and possibly Vieanu.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I would keep TY as club captain then pick a team one,preferably GF
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Agreed, Tom Youngs is a great club captain, but Ford would be my team captain. Also have B Youngs, Green, Liebenberg and Reffell in the leadership group for a good mix of different players.

McGinty also on LTTV Friday, so imagine recruitment will be announced sometimes before or live on the podcast.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Aled Waters signs

Wowowowowow
What a signing!!
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Aled Walters confirmed.
Flash

Post by Flash »

strawclearer wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:10 pm
trendylfj wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:47 pm Aled Walters leaving the boks "for a UK club" - now he would be a good addition to the coaching set up.
Well spotted - and he'd certainly be a good addition :smt023
It's as if you knew strawclearer
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Walters appointment along with Borthwick should certainly help attract top quality players to the club. Good news and well done to the recruitment team.