LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by Scott1 »

Disagree about Fearns,hes a beast of an 8. I'd only be worried that Eddie would start looking at him again!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:45 pm
Longshanks wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:34 pm
FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:09 pm Thompstone, May & Holmes out, plus Gilliland and Bungaroo from development squad, only Nadolo coming in, suggests that some real room has been created to reshape the back 3.
To me, this has Alex Lewington written all over it. He is reportedly "available" and, knowing how Tigers is by reputation a tough club to settle into as a seasoned player, his past experience at Welford Road gives him a real advantage.
Tough club to settle in to? Says who?
Matt Toomua possibly?

Sorry. I know I've got to let it go.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:09 pm It’s a fairly significant clearout.
Definitely gives Borthwick (and Murphy) the scope to put their own shape on things.

Cortes, Hills and Lines going, only one player incoming in Rowntree’s promotion, room to add one more there. Admittedly five senior hookers plus an academy graduate (age grade international) does look slightly over staffed.

Locks, Spencer, Batley (admittedly on loan) and Jordan going, two developing options added so far, room for one more quality addition, then opportunities for the development guys.

Kalamafoni, Thompson and Boladau (loan?) from senior squad plus Eveleigh let go from development squad, room to add at least one more senior player after Brink I’d say, then opportunities for development squad, plus academy graduates to backfill them.

Halfbacks look fine. Albeit the addition of Henry without a senior player making way, maybe one of Henry, McPhillips or Hardwick are to be utilised as cover elsewhere, 12 or 15.

Scott coming in for Viljoen effectively, balances the numbers, plus Kelly coming in for Thomas as developing prospect.

Thompstone, May & Holmes out, plus Gilliland and Bungaroo from development squad, only Nadolo coming in, suggests that some real room has been created to reshape the back 3.

1x Depth Prop - maybe.
1x Starter Lock - definitely required.
1x Senior Back Row - should do.
2x Back Three - definitely required.
Agree with the breakdown of what we need at the end. Also agree with the "maybe" on a prop signing. With Leatigaga able to cover both sides and talent in the development squad prop would be my area of least concern in there. Whitcombe will be ready for PRC and some Challenge Cup rugby next season. Osman Dimen is a year old and not lacking for physicality.

With regards to the bit in bold I fear that the clubs finances taking a hit will mean there isn't as much cash left for completely re-shaping the back three. More likely a squad signing to replace Holmes (although rumours that Lewington and Walker have turned offers down) and a Championship signing (with Spittle going to Doncaster, David Williams could be a target).

Second row is still where I'm hoping for a strong signing.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scott1 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:47 pm Disagree about Fearns,hes a beast of an 8. I'd only be worried that Eddie would start looking at him again!
He is nearly 31, last I saw carrying some extra baggage & will want a hefty pay packet. Spend some of that on an experienced 2nd row & a genuine 7 to alternate with Reffell.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:18 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:47 pm Disagree about Fearns,hes a beast of an 8. I'd only be worried that Eddie would start looking at him again!
He is nearly 31, last I saw carrying some extra baggage & will want a hefty pay packet. Spend some of that on an experienced 2nd row & a genuine 7 to alternate with Reffell.
My bad,I thought he was 29 for some reason
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scott1 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:34 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:18 pm
My bad,I thought he was 29 for some reason
I am trusting Wikipedia...
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Fearns is 30. He turns 31 later this month.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:09 pm Thompstone, May & Holmes out, plus Gilliland and Bungaroo from development squad, only Nadolo coming in, suggests that some real room has been created to reshape the back 3.
To me, this has Alex Lewington written all over it. He is reportedly "available" and, knowing how Tigers is by reputation a tough club to settle into as a seasoned player, his past experience at Welford Road gives him a real advantage.
Coley and Geordan both agreed in their podcast that the Tigers environment doesn’t suit everyone
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Mark62 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:01 pm

Coley and Geordan both agreed in their podcast that the Tigers environment doesn’t suit everyone
The same can be said for every club.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:14 pm

You asked the question I answered it. Why then use it to try and make a further point. Total waste of time
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Don't underestimate the pulling power that Borthwick will bring. He has a very good reputation and I personally think players will want to play for him. Plus, he'll know a good lock when he sees one.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Mark62 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:35 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:14 pm

You asked the question I answered it. Why then use it to try and make a further point. Total waste of time
This is a discussion forum so I was just commenting that other players also struggle at other clubs.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

ABClub wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:05 pm
FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:09 pm It’s a fairly significant clearout.
Definitely gives Borthwick (and Murphy) the scope to put their own shape on things.

Cortes, Hills and Lines going, only one player incoming in Rowntree’s promotion, room to add one more there. Admittedly five senior hookers plus an academy graduate (age grade international) does look slightly over staffed.

Locks, Spencer, Batley (admittedly on loan) and Jordan going, two developing options added so far, room for one more quality addition, then opportunities for the development guys.

Kalamafoni, Thompson and Boladau (loan?) from senior squad plus Eveleigh let go from development squad, room to add at least one more senior player after Brink I’d say, then opportunities for development squad, plus academy graduates to backfill them.

Halfbacks look fine. Albeit the addition of Henry without a senior player making way, maybe one of Henry, McPhillips or Hardwick are to be utilised as cover elsewhere, 12 or 15.

Scott coming in for Viljoen effectively, balances the numbers, plus Kelly coming in for Thomas as developing prospect.

Thompstone, May & Holmes out, plus Gilliland and Bungaroo from development squad, only Nadolo coming in, suggests that some real room has been created to reshape the back 3.

1x Depth Prop - maybe.
1x Starter Lock - definitely required.
1x Senior Back Row - should do.
2x Back Three - definitely required.
Agree with the breakdown of what we need at the end. Also agree with the "maybe" on a prop signing. With Leatigaga able to cover both sides and talent in the development squad prop would be my area of least concern in there. Whitcombe will be ready for PRC and some Challenge Cup rugby next season. Osman Dimen is a year old and not lacking for physicality.

With regards to the bit in bold I fear that the clubs finances taking a hit will mean there isn't as much cash left for completely re-shaping the back three. More likely a squad signing to replace Holmes (although rumours that Lewington and Walker have turned offers down) and a Championship signing (with Spittle going to Doncaster, David Williams could be a target).

Second row is still where I'm hoping for a strong signing.
Osman Dimen is a year old and not lacking for physicality.

Gosh we are starting them young these days :smt040
As Good As It Gets
HarryTigerFan

Post by HarryTigerFan »

A back 3 option could be Nick Abendanon. Announced his retirement last month but this was only because he got no offers. He has stated he is still feels like he has it in to perform at the highest level for a few more years and was looking for a english club. 33 years old so maybe only a one or two year deal while we bring through some younger players. In my opinion worth a gamble. Abendanon, Nadolo and Veainu would be a very exciting back three
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I am surprised that Spencer is going and especially Joe Batley. The games he player were impressive and 6!6" as a youngster and 19 stone is ripe to be moulded into a really good lock. I hope Bristol give him a good crack of the whip.
A life long Tiger