Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Matt Scott

Post by mightymouse »

Good signing..
really good centre .. where we desperately need cover
Looks like his international days are over so will hopefully be available plenty
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Matt Scott

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

mightymouse wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:37 pm Good signing..
Looks like his international days are over so will hopefully be available plenty
Youngs
Ford
Scott
Tuilagi
A N Other
Nadolo
Veainu

Very impressed
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:40 pm
Youngs
Ford
Scott
Tuilagi
A N Other
Nadolo
Veainu

Very impressed
Think we may see more of Veainu on the wing with Steward at 15
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:42 pm
Youngs
Ford
Scott
Tuilagi
A N Other
Nadolo
Veainu

Very impressed
I personally prefer Veainu at 15 but you may be right.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Great signing! Very happy,well done all involved!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

A quick look at the comments on the Edinburgh fans' forum...

"I'm gutted"

"Me too, if that's true. Scott was different class to our other centres this season, and had an ability to makes breaks none of the others could. We will be duller to watch without him."

"Alas, we miss out on his X factor, which makes a difference in the tight games. He came on as a sub in the home 1872 game and won it for us - I’ve no doubt we’d have lost that without his clean breaks."

"Disappointing."

"Really gutted by this and unless there is someone of Scott’s calibre already signed then I think we are goin* to be a weakened side next season. Scott was integral to that backline, when he played Edinburgh played. Bennett’s early season form due to Scott’s poise, vision and running lines. Came off the bench in the1872 cup game and swung the game in our favour and overall was a far better player than what left for Gloucester.
Always trusted in Cockers judgement but this one does baffle me.
On the up side, a little trip to Welford Road, whenever we kick off again, and the savouring thought of a Scott Tuilagi centre partnership"

"WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY *sobs into pillow*"

"Gutted to lose Scott."

"Disappointed to see Scott go he has looked really good when fit"
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:43 pm A quick look at the comments on the Edinburgh fans' forum...

"I'm gutted"

"Me too, if that's true. Scott was different class to our other centres this season, and had an ability to makes breaks none of the others could. We will be duller to watch without him."

"Alas, we miss out on his X factor, which makes a difference in the tight games. He came on as a sub in the home 1872 game and won it for us - I’ve no doubt we’d have lost that without his clean breaks."

"Disappointing."

"Really gutted by this and unless there is someone of Scott’s calibre already signed then I think we are goin* to be a weakened side next season. Scott was integral to that backline, when he played Edinburgh played. Bennett’s early season form due to Scott’s poise, vision and running lines. Came off the bench in the1872 cup game and swung the game in our favour and overall was a far better player than what left for Gloucester.
On the up side, a little trip to Welford Road, whenever we kick off again, and the savouring thought of a Scott Tuilagi centre partnership"

"Gutted to lose Scott."

I sincerely hope that the last quote is not a portent
I'm not cynical just experienced
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:42 pm
Youngs
Ford
Scott
Tuilagi
A N Other
Nadolo
Veainu

Very impressed
I'm a big fan of Freddie Steward think we'll see a lot more of him next season.

We have generally played with two playmakers in the backline. I wonder if we are going to move away from having the second playmaker predominantly at 12 and go back to having them at 15 like when Geordie was our 15. Zach Henry is supposed to be a 10 and 15. Would give us a very different dynamic at the back.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:43 pm A quick look at the comments on the Edinburgh fans' forum...

"I'm gutted"

"Disappointing."

"Gutted to lose Scott."

I attend a fair few Edinburgh games being based up there these days. Scott has indeed been very good since re-signing. We've outbid Edinburgh for him rather than Cockers or Scott looking for release so he won't have come cheap but then again the SRU aren't rolling in cash at the best of times.

On recent form he will definitely start. He can cover 13 very well too which is useful given our defensive frailties when neither Manu or Taute have been available at outside centre.

With Scott signed and Hardwick a year more experienced I'm more hopeful about the midfield next season. Zach Henry looks like a better fit than McPhillips in the squad as well.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

A great peice of work by the team. Really positive about "next season" (Think this season will be binned off). Were we linked with hi a couple of seasons ago but he decided to remain in Scotland or am i thinking of another Scottish centre? Anyway, great buy and the team is looking stronger with a mix of Youth and experience, with lots of academy lads getting their faces in the picture. Good for the furture and means a stronger and more finacially stable club. Win win all the way. A Manu and Scott partnership looks quite classy. If it wasnt 07:30hrs and i hadnt started working (from home) i would be :smt030 :smt030
There is never any points for 2nd place...
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

[
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:28 am A great peice of work by the team. Really positive about "next season" (Think this season will be binned off). Were we linked with hi a couple of seasons ago but he decided to remain in Scotland or am i thinking of another Scottish centre? Anyway, great buy and the team is looking stronger with a mix of Youth and experience, with lots of academy lads getting their faces in the picture. Good for the furture and means a stronger and more finacially stable club. Win win all the way. A Manu and Scott partnership looks quite classy. If it wasnt 07:30hrs and i hadnt started working (from home) i would be :smt030 :smt030
Think you are thinking of Huw Jones who we were linked with some time ago
Hehehehehehehehe
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

"I'm gutted"

"Disappointing."

"Gutted to lose Scott."

Reading the quotes, he doesn't seem to be an 80 mins player, wasn't he number 1 choice at Edinburgh or coming back from injuries?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

He'll be 30 by the time he joins us, with a patchy injury record and bad concussion behind him.

But, centre is a position we're a little weak in and recent recruitment hasn't strengthened us so I'm glad we've got this done. I expect he'll be in the starting XV.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Positive news for sure. Would be fascinating to have the off-the-record commentary from Cockers!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

A good , solid signing.Increases both our depth and quality in a position where we were (and perhaps are still) lacking.
Thanks, Richard C , still looking out for us in a fashion.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....