Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Matt Scott

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

trendylfj wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:12 am [
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:28 am A great peice of work by the team. Really positive about "next season" (Think this season will be binned off). Were we linked with hi a couple of seasons ago but he decided to remain in Scotland or am i thinking of another Scottish centre? Anyway, great buy and the team is looking stronger with a mix of Youth and experience, with lots of academy lads getting their faces in the picture. Good for the furture and means a stronger and more finacially stable club. Win win all the way. A Manu and Scott partnership looks quite classy. If it wasnt 07:30hrs and i hadnt started working (from home) i would be :smt030 :smt030
Think you are thinking of Huw Jones who we were linked with some time ago
Yes thats him. Thank you.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I think Scott is a solid signing.
If I recall he finished strong at Gloucester and there were murmurs that letting him go back to Edinburgh was a mistake.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

He was at the end of a good team try against us in 2016 when we beat them by the scruff of the neck.

https://youtu.be/zX3jWo_iE9k
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:57 pm He was at the end of a good team try against us in 2016 when we beat them by the scruff of the neck.

13 on his back there too JP which makes him more valuable, as he is versatile
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:34 pm
JP14 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:57 pm He was at the end of a good team try against us in 2016 when we beat them by the scruff of the neck.

13 on his back there too JP which makes him more valuable, as he is versatile
Absolutely.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

There should be no doubt we've signed a good player but those stats are pretty impressive. Hopefully he can make that level of clean breaks for us, our backline didn't deliver much this season.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

And who's that making a classy last pass? Just saying.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Chobbsy wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:43 am
strawclearer wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:43 pm A quick look at the comments on the Edinburgh fans' forum...

"I'm gutted"

"Me too, if that's true. Scott was different class to our other centres this season, and had an ability to makes breaks none of the others could. We will be duller to watch without him."

"Alas, we miss out on his X factor, which makes a difference in the tight games. He came on as a sub in the home 1872 game and won it for us - I’ve no doubt we’d have lost that without his clean breaks."

"Disappointing."

"Really gutted by this and unless there is someone of Scott’s calibre already signed then I think we are goin* to be a weakened side next season. Scott was integral to that backline, when he played Edinburgh played. Bennett’s early season form due to Scott’s poise, vision and running lines. Came off the bench in the1872 cup game and swung the game in our favour and overall was a far better player than what left for Gloucester.
Always trusted in Cockers judgement but this one does baffle me.
On the up side, a little trip to Welford Road, whenever we kick off again, and the savouring thought of a Scott Tuilagi centre partnership"

"WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY *sobs into pillow*"

"Gutted to lose Scott."

"Disappointed to see Scott go he has looked really good when fit"
Reading the quotes, he doesn't seem to be an 80 mins player, wasn't he number 1 choice at Edinburgh or coming back from injuries?
He’s had some problems with concussion. But I think that may have been managed a bit more than it may have been in France or England.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Has always looked a good player. Manu aside we have been thin at centre. Eastmond a bit lightweight and Taute capable but short on the requisite pace and neither of those two have seemed to be able to support the youngsters when paired with them while Manu was away with England or injured..

Hopefully he will be that player.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Big fan of Taute either at 12 or 13, yet throughout his career has been blighted by injuries. We’ve missed a proper 12 since Allen and I’ve no doubt Scott can fill this gap. A quality player who can make breaks and runs great support lines. Him and Manu will make a great partnership.

Would always rather have two quality centres than wingers. No point in having May and Holmes out wide if you can’t create any space for them to work with.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:20 am Big fan of Taute either at 12 or 13, yet throughout his career has been blighted by injuries. We’ve missed a proper 12 since Allen and I’ve no doubt Scott can fill this gap. A quality player who can make breaks and runs great support lines. Him and Manu will make a great partnership.

Would always rather have two quality centres than wingers. No point in having May and Holmes out wide if you can’t create any space for them to work with.
I think centre is a tough position, now more than ever given how they can come together.
Farrell's shift from 10 for his club to 12 for England highlights how avoiding the week to week grind at centre can be an advantageous in reducing the injury risk.
I love watching tough centres, Barritt and Lozowski in particular.
Similarly I've enjoyed watching Scott on the few occasions that I've seen him.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

On his instagram (my bold)...

"Massive honour to have played for @edinburghrugby. Would have loved to have won my 100th cap for the club and had the chance to win some silver wear but unfortunately I wasn’t afforded the opportunity to extend my stay here.
However, life throws up opportunities and feel incredibly grateful to be heading to a club like @leicestertigers. I am very excited to offer my full potential to a club that I admired as a young lad and can’t wait to get started at Welford Road 💪🏼
Thanks for everyone’s kind messages over the last 24 hours from both Edinburgh and Leicester supporters - they mean a lot ❤️"
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

strawclearer wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:07 pm On his instagram (my bold)...

"Massive honour to have played for @edinburghrugby. Would have loved to have won my 100th cap for the club and had the chance to win some silver wear but unfortunately I wasn’t afforded the opportunity to extend my stay here.
However, life throws up opportunities and feel incredibly grateful to be heading to a club like @leicestertigers. I am very excited to offer my full potential to a club that I admired as a young lad and can’t wait to get started at Welford Road 💪🏼
Thanks for everyone’s kind messages over the last 24 hours from both Edinburgh and Leicester supporters - they mean a lot ❤️"
General rumour in Edinburgh is that they couldn't compete with the money Leicester offered.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

biffer wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:26 pm ...
General rumour in Edinburgh is that they couldn't compete with the money Leicester offered.
The Sunday Times has an article on Scott; seems he accepted an offer to stay but Cockers couldn’t balance the books and recommended him to Geordie.

“We have a budget to stick to,” said Cockerill. “Matt wanted to stay and I wanted him to stay. But, with all the other signings and all the other bits and pieces in terms of the balance of the squad, it just wasn’t possible.“

Cockers seems to have done us a favour.