Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Re: Peter Tom YouTube

Post by ourla »

Listened to it in my lunch hour.

Some green shoots maybe.

He acknowledges the board were poor at communicating to the fans about the clubs commerical development not overshadowing the development of the playing squad.

He also acknowledges that there was poor communication with the players over their pay cuts. I think I heard him admitting that they were not consulted initially and it was given to them as a fait accompli. On the plus side it seems to have sparked some proper and honest dialogue. I heard him say he'd had several private one on one conversations with players where they had raised criticisms of the club. This he believes might lead to being a "tighter group" going forward. I am sure we all hope so.

He also mentioned one of the new board members (Peter) had previously expressed some criticisms. And he guess he's now being asked to help do it better. Just as ironically it seems Tom was when he started! I think that is welcome news.

I still don't get why the club was put up for sale and then the idea ditched. And whether it's a positive or negative.

A positive note to finish on is perhaps him saying we are in a strong position financially and that we have a great crop of young players coming through.

So hopefully when we come out of this phase of the pandemic there is a chink of light for the Tigers.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ourla wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:49 pm Listened to it in my lunch hour.

Some green shoots maybe.

He acknowledges the board were poor at communicating to the fans about the clubs commerical development not overshadowing the development of the playing squad.

He also acknowledges that there was poor communication with the players over their pay cuts. I think I heard him admitting that they were not consulted initially and it was given to them as a fait accompli. On the plus side it seems to have sparked some proper and honest dialogue. I heard him say he'd had several private one on one conversations with players where they had raised criticisms of the club. This he believes might lead to being a "tighter group" going forward. I am sure we all hope so.

He also mentioned one of the new board members (Peter) had previously expressed some criticisms. And he guess he's now being asked to help do it better. Just as ironically it seems Tom was when he started! I think that is welcome news.

I still don't get why the club was put up for sale and then the idea ditched. And whether it's a positive or negative.

A positive note to finish on is perhaps him saying we are in a strong position financially and that we have a great crop of young players coming through.

So hopefully when we come out of this phase of the pandemic there is a chink of light for the Tigers.
🤞
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Reference the sale of the club. I understood him to say that if any potential purchasers needed to show a long term commitment to the future and look to still be around in 25 to 30 years time.
None of the prospective buyers, if there were any, showed that commitment, so The Board decided the club would be better off maintaining the status quo.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:35 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:23 pm "was a good general open confirmation of what most genuine loyal supporters believe of him and the club"
Nice little dig at those genuine ,loyal supporters who only question things because of their love of the club?!
No. By saying "most genuine...", he acknowledges that there are genuine, loyal supporters who hold different views of Peter and the board.
Sorry Scott, I did not intend to have a dig at you or any of our supporters, sorry if it inadvertently touched a nerve, but one does wonder how and why some folk still continually question "how much are Peter and the other board members paid? How much money is being diverted from the club to build the hotel and car park", etc etc etc, when we have been repeatedly told over the years that the board are not paid, and that no money is diverted etc etc". Yet some seem to continually cast doubts when the truth is told. Are they genuine supporters, I don't know, maybe I could have expressed it better?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

LE18 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:43 pm
Cagey Tiger wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:35 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:23 pm "was a good general open confirmation of what most genuine loyal supporters believe of him and the club"
Nice little dig at those genuine ,loyal supporters who only question things because of their love of the club?!
No. By saying "most genuine...", he acknowledges that there are genuine, loyal supporters who hold different views of Peter and the board.
Sorry Scott, I did not intend to have a dig at you or any of our supporters, sorry if it inadvertently touched a nerve, but one does wonder how and why some folk still continually question "how much are Peter and the other board members paid? How much money is being diverted from the club to build the hotel and car park", etc etc etc, when we have been repeatedly told over the years that the board are not paid, and that no money is diverted etc etc". Yet some seem to continually cast doubts when the truth is told. Are they genuine supporters, I don't know, maybe I could have expressed it better?
My fault sorry,I did take it the wrong way. I've been accused,not by you,of taking great satisfaction when something effects us negatively,which is disgusting tbf! I might go about things the wrong way but nothing could he further from the truth! I guess the last few years has effected us all and some of us are more delicate than others 😉
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I had my suspicions that when the club went on sale that it would be an opportunity for the board to go “Oh look, no one wanted to buy us, that shows we are doing a great job” etc but watching the interview did make me realise that at least they called it off for the right reasons. Tom is right you need a buyer who is committed to the club for 20+ years like he has been as Chairman in order to ensure sustainability in the club.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:15 pm Reference the sale of the club. I understood him to say that if any potential purchasers needed to show a long term commitment to the future and look to still be around in 25 to 30 years time.
None of the prospective buyers, if there were any, showed that commitment, so The Board decided the club would be better off maintaining the status quo.
I've actually gone back and read the statements that were made at the time the club was put up for sale...

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rug ... 73226.html

And actually hearing what Tom had to say today makes more sense. To quote one part of what was said at the time "CVC’s investment sparked several expressions of interest in the Tigers from new investors, prompting the board to run a formal sale process in the best interests of the club, its players, supporters and shareholders." Actually makes me feel better and more confident going forward that they've essentially said, actually we think we are already the best investors and custodians. And we are not struggling for investment/finance. So let's stay as we are.

If they keep up this level of communication and transparency we'll be in a good/better place.

Maybe we really have turned a corner.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Zoom!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

BFG wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:08 pmZoom!
Fat Larry's Band?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I think one of the big things I got from both last night, and the podcast with Tom and Geordan, is that the penny has finally dropped regarding transparency
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:09 pm
Fat Larry's Band?
Just one look and then my heart went boom.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:12 pm I think one of the big things I got from both last night, and the podcast with Tom and Geordan, is that the penny has finally dropped regarding transparency
Took them long enough, but at least they are now finally more transparent.

I think a lot of credit too has to go Bondi (Sam Williamson) for this.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Well done Peter Tom. Hopefully this terrible virus situation has enabled the whole club to focus their minds and brought a greater clarity about what happens with Tigers.
One of Richard Cockerill’s saying after a bad loss.
“I’m the one to blame. I put the team out but if we are honest, no one has died and rugby, though being important, isn’t about life or death.”
Never truer than in today’s climate.
Hopefully, both the supporters and whole club can now start anew with the aim of getting things right on and off the field.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Interesting interview. Let's hope the interviews continue after lockdown ends. I think it would have been invaluable had they done one at the time the club had been put up for sale that could have been very good for the relationship with the supporters. Still live and learn and obviously now Mr Tom is up to speed with Zoom it'll be easier for him to chat directly to the fans in the future.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

BFG wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:22 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:09 pm
Fat Larry's Band?
Just one look and then my heart went boom.
Takes me back to the first compilation tape I ever got.....

As for the Interview very interesting, as for the potential sale I wonder if they were hoping city's owners to express an interest or FSG.

For all those who want rid of PT careful what you wish for..
To win is not as important as playing with style!