Provisional Premiership Return Date ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: Provisional Premiership Return Date ?

Post by Tigerbeat »

Please can you stick to the topic of the thread? Thanks
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Rugby either has to stop until there is a vaccine.....if there ever is an effective one.
Stop until Covid goes away.

Or accept that for the game to occur the players will have to subject themselves to an elemant of risk. The risk of them catching Covid is real but the risk to those of that age group of severe illness is small. (There may be some on medications or who have had their spleens removed after injury that have a higher risk but most are low risk).

What about the older staff? Coaches, physios and suppor staff - their interactions with the players may well be altered.

So the reality is that in the short term the players will have to accept the risk or not have a job.

When can the crowds return is different again and we may all be relying on TV coverage for quite some time.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Tigerbeat wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:10 pm Please can you stick to the topic of the thread? Thanks
I would suggest without a broader discussion this topic is pointless?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Tigers could earn some money marketing Tigers one-use masks and protective gloves. I see no reason why people then cannot attend matches under reduced distancing.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

jgriffin wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 3:27 pm Tigers could earn some money marketing Tigers one-use masks and protective gloves. I see no reason why people then cannot attend matches under reduced distancing.
Samurai have already previewed Tigers branded face-masks, not sure whether they are commercially available.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Frankly, I do not foresee any more rugby this season; perhaps not even next.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:13 pm Frankly, I do not foresee any more rugby this season; perhaps not even next.
I agree about this season and hope it is so. I understand the imperative to start as soon as possible but I think it would be wrong to rush into a restart. I would hope clubs, sponsors, broadcasters and Premierdhip Rugby could get together and come up with a plan that secures the collective financial security and future of all, which includes not restarting this season. I would say no restart of this season, there is no issues of relegation, base European qualification on current places and start from next season (even if still behind closed doors to start with) giving time to get over the current crisis. It would be lucky for some and not for those who think they could have got into the top 6, but in the scheme of things the latter really would ge a first world problem. It would also avoid any risks of rushing players back and the nonsense of playing the knock out stages of this year's European competition at the same time as the start of next season's......not to mention the timetabling of Sarries playing the Championship fixtures (where no gaps allow as far as I know) at the same time as playing Champions Cup knock out games.....not to mention if Sarries won and ended up in the Champions Cup next season as a Championship team. I have heard of rules that MAY avoid this but not anything definite. I just think realism should come to the fore at this stage.
As Good As It Gets
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

BT Sports have paid a lot of money for the broadcasts and will probably look to claw some of it back from Premiership Rugby....businesses, possibly some clubs are not going to survive this pandemic. If they can find a safe way to restart the season, I am all for it. Life needs to restart and progress to a very different normal and the conditions will be very closely monitorred.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rutlandtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rutlandtiger »

For rugby to return and hopefully survive the next 5 years then:-
1). Clubs should split playing staff and support/coaches into 2 groups each a sub set of staff. Before a game 1st group isolate in a team bubble for 10 days. Train as a team bubble during this 10 day period, play game then isolate for 10 days afterwards. No contact with anyone outside bubble including no contact with family or anyone else not part of bubble before and after game. For next game second half of playing staff prepare and play as per first group. Plus testing before, during and after.
2). Attempt to get some matchday income by getting supporters into stadium could be for example to ensure social distancing reduce ground capacity to 1 spectator per 25 seats. Household groups can sit together to increase attendance. Standing areas 1 spectator per 4m2 terracing. Social distancing rules for hospitality - bars etc.
3). Drive club revenue through television and other means. During this time it is all about survival. Reduce costs and expenditure as all businesses would do. Go to extreme lean structure, maintain and defend rather than grow. Look at debenture offers such as lifetime season tickets and offset current liabilities to future where creditors will support.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Government report now giving the go ahead for the resumption of training in contact sports
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I would now scrap this season and host "exhibition" matches on the telly with Sarries excluded but maybe Cornish Pirates and Ealing involved then start the 2020/21 season as normal behind closed doors until some form of crowd can be let in.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Many will not agree but let’s have a full season just playing domestic rugby, no European until 2021/22, and get the game back on a sure footing
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Rutlandtiger wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:34 pm For rugby to return and hopefully survive the next 5 years then:-
1). Clubs should split playing staff and support/coaches into 2 groups each a sub set of staff. Before a game 1st group isolate in a team bubble for 10 days. Train as a team bubble during this 10 day period, play game then isolate for 10 days afterwards. No contact with anyone outside bubble including no contact with family or anyone else not part of bubble before and after game. For next game second half of playing staff prepare and play as per first group. Plus testing before, during and after.
2). Attempt to get some matchday income by getting supporters into stadium could be for example to ensure social distancing reduce ground capacity to 1 spectator per 25 seats. Household groups can sit together to increase attendance. Standing areas 1 spectator per 4m2 terracing. Social distancing rules for hospitality - bars etc.
3). Drive club revenue through television and other means. During this time it is all about survival. Reduce costs and expenditure as all businesses would do. Go to extreme lean structure, maintain and defend rather than grow. Look at debenture offers such as lifetime season tickets and offset current liabilities to future where creditors will support.
Who decides as to who can attend and have those few seats or who is going to be unlucky and told they cant get to see the match? Not a fair solution. :smt018
Rutlandtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rutlandtiger »

Unfortunately to maintain social distancing its either a few spectators or no spectators. 14000 season ticket holders cannot attend every home game under current restrictions.