Provisional Premiership Return Date ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Provisional Premiership Return Date ?

Post by Mark62 »

Rutlandtiger wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:27 am Just read the report of the trial held at the Oval yesterday with some spectators. Looks promising and maybe we will have fans at Rugby soon - let's hope!!
I believe with the social distancing in place yesterday, it looks like approximately 20% utilisation of seats. If this is the model going forward then assuming current capacity of WR at 25000 then c. 5000 fans attending. With 15000 season tickets sold that means get to see 1 in 3 home games assuming share out games between all season ticket holders.
Should the club start consultation with both season ticket holders and other supporters to work up an allocation protocol?? Clearly cannot please everyone but maybe there is an acceptable route through this.
They were saying on the radio cricket commentary that it was a thousand tickets for a 20000 seat Oval. 900 to Surrey members and 100 to Middlesex members, with a section of the ground, I think they said the Vauxhall end being for the players, coaches to sit in
So that’s 5% which if we say tigers has a capacity of 27000, equates to 1350.
You could easily accommodate those in the big stand with the required social distancing, with the Crumbiest being reserved for players, officials, press etc. That would also mean that the squad would be further isolated from supporters.
I’d imagine that if anyone throws the ball back it will need to be sanitised, as the cricket ball was yesterday when the poor West Indian keeper deflected a 90 mile an hour ball off his gloves straight into his mouth.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

If they allow fans it will be a gradual increase from a small percentage to something like 25% (for example) until November when hopefully the government get rid of social distancing. In Australia barely 10% of crowds are allowed in Super Rugby AU currently.n
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Rutlandtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rutlandtiger »

With a reduction in numbers how should the club decide who can attend?? Looks doubtful that all season ticket holders will be able to see all games.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Just had a sky news flash that 2,500 will be allowed into the Bob Willis trophy this weekend, I think that is the England v Ireland series.

To answer your question Rutlandtiger the only fair way would be a ballot amongst season ticket holders, hopefully they will all get to see at least 1 match then, probably not in their usual seat though.IMO, controversial maybe, Priority should be given to those who chose to donate
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:34 pm If they allow fans it will be a gradual increase from a small percentage to something like 25% (for example) until November when hopefully the government get rid of social distancing. In Australia barely 10% of crowds are allowed in Super Rugby AU currently.n
Agreed but looks like they’re getting nearly full houses in New Zealand, though I think comparisons between here and there are dangerously flawed.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

New Zealand is a different kettle of fish when it comes to current times, at the current rate we’re months away from full normality such as which the Kiwis enjoy.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
bendy

Post by bendy »

Very difficult to imagine the logistics of this working.

Firstly, is the club realistically able to contact all 15k season ticket holders to discuss with them which matches they could / couldn't attend? That's a LOT of man hours before you even start thinking about people not being contactable during office hours (eg, I've only put my home phone number on my Tigers account, or whatever).

And then what happens for no-shows? I suspect like most people, I'd say "I can go to every match please" to the nice man or woman when they rang up - but oh... would you look at that. I completely forgot about Aunty Sally's birthday on November 12th, not to mention darling middle child's ten pin bowling party on October 9th... etc. Do I have to ring the club back up and tell them? What happens if I don't, and just don't bother turning up? That would mean 4 or 5 other season ticket holders have missed out on the match just because I was lazy. Is that fair, or should there be some sort of 'punishment' for me?

Would I still be punished if I was rushed to hospital on the Friday night before a match?

The only real way I could see this working would be to have some form of ballot for EVERY match, in the week of the match, with some form of financial incentive to turn up (a refundable deposit say), that could be potentially appealed in exceptional circumstances.

The additional work this would place on Tigers' ticket office is huge, at a time when I can't imagine they're over-staffed.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

bendy wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:34 pm Very difficult to imagine the logistics of this working.

Firstly, is the club realistically able to contact all 15k season ticket holders to discuss with them which matches they could / couldn't attend? That's a LOT of man hours before you even start thinking about people not being contactable during office hours (eg, I've only put my home phone number on my Tigers account, or whatever).

And then what happens for no-shows? I suspect like most people, I'd say "I can go to every match please" to the nice man or woman when they rang up - but oh... would you look at that. I completely forgot about Aunty Sally's birthday on November 12th, not to mention darling middle child's ten pin bowling party on October 9th... etc. Do I have to ring the club back up and tell them? What happens if I don't, and just don't bother turning up? That would mean 4 or 5 other season ticket holders have missed out on the match just because I was lazy. Is that fair, or should there be some sort of 'punishment' for me?

Would I still be punished if I was rushed to hospital on the Friday night before a match?

The only real way I could see this working would be to have some form of ballot for EVERY match, in the week of the match, with some form of financial incentive to turn up (a refundable deposit say), that could be potentially appealed in exceptional circumstances.

The additional work this would place on Tigers' ticket office is huge, at a time when I can't imagine they're over-staffed.
I think you’re over thinking it Bendy tbh.
Just purely hypothetical if there were 4 games left and there were 10,000 members, numbers 1-2500 would be told this is your seat for game A, 2501 -5000 this is your seat for game B, if you can’t make it or find someone else to use your tickets, in the current climate hard luck.
The only issue would be if any family groups fell across the divide.

They will have have either an email address or mobile phone number for texts for each member.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Perhaps we may have 2,500 per game as others have postulated.
You can imagine the scene in all the other clubs.
"Hey boss, we can have 2,500 supporters!"
"Gee, where are we going to find that many?"
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Rutlandtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rutlandtiger »

I'm not sure we can assume reduced capacity just for the remaining games from this season. This could be the normality for several seasons to come!!
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

Depending upon capacity, ST holders and games left at home (is there 3?), you may find that ST holders only be entitled to attend one match via a ballot.

If you win, great, you get the opportunity to attend - then you drop out the ballot. If you lose then you go into the next ballot. Simples.

I can't see the club over complicating it and having ST holders dictate which date they would like to go on. It's like the 6 Nations ballot they run, if you win you purchase, there is no alternative match.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:08 pm Perhaps we may have 2,500 per game as others have postulated.
So if 2500 supporters is to be the norm across the Premiership then where are Sale going to get that number without ousting several hundred pigeons ? :smt017
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:52 pm
Old Hob wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:08 pm Perhaps we may have 2,500 per game as others have postulated.
So if 2500 supporters is to be the norm across the Premiership then where are Sale going to get that number without ousting several hundred pigeons ? :smt017
Each of their fans will bring their Whippet with them.
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

No fans in crowd anytime soon. See Johnson’s announcement today 31 July.

So TV for everyone. I fail to understand with 14 days to go why there are no kick off times available.

Is this BT or Prem Rugby delay or have I missed something.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Just been announced on ITV racing channel that they are going to delay crowds back and review it in 2 weeks I think
Hehehehehehehehe