Provisional Premiership Return Date ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Provisional Premiership Return Date ?

Post by jgriffin »

Assuming no vaccine, there is little the club can control outside the training ground or match day. The only use for masks is to prevent you infecting others, likewise gloves do nothing unless you avoid your face and discard them correctly afterwards. Nothing within the disinfected training environment will spontaneously generate the virus, so it is the entry condition of the players that matters. Social distancing is fairly impossible.
A sterile changing and testing entry area would be needed. Players discard all outer clothes on entry, are tested (this is the problem), disinfectant shower and given freshly laundered kit to enter with. Their clothes are kept in the outer entry area. Process is reversed on the way out. Balls are disinfected :smt003
Main problem areas are obviously the gym (deep initial clean plus daily disinfection?) and all melees (scrum, ruck etc) so training initially would be as normal preseason without these.
Players could wear masks to lessen potential contamination, but these can only be subclinical, as clinical level impede breathing. TBH the big issue is ensuring they enter the ground as screened as possible.
Logistically possible, but a very precarious house of cards IMHO.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Rutlandtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rutlandtiger »

There is an excellent piece on the BBC website on horse racing in Hong Kong. There they have had very few cases of coronavirus. The protocol the jockeys go through highlights what a non contact sport does in an attempt to reduce spread. Rugby will need this plus.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

End the season now and plan for next including crowds.
If the pubs open in late July then there will possibly be more people in pubs over a weekend in Leicester, Bristol, Bath etc than will attend rugby games.
There will need to be a different mentality and empathy from fans. Reduce maximum attendance by say 25%. If open, bars run like the Supermarkets, only one way in and out, 2 metre distance etc. ALL fans to wash their hands thoroughly after visiting the toilets.
Gradual emptying of the stands. Etc,etc.
Unemployment is going to be bad enough without Sport, pubs,cafes, restaurants being closed for any longer than is possible.
And no, I haven’t been to the coast, to Bradgate Park as I believe if we all kept away for just 3-4 weeks longer we would smash this virus.
Things can be done with the proper organisation in all aspects of our social lives and to be honest all grounds, shopping centres etc will then be safer than they've ever been.
Our thoughts go to all key workers and especially to the families who have lost loved ones. Let’s make sure we honour both the key workers and sadly those who’ve lost lives by sensibly moving forward.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Latest news from the BBC.

Premiership clubs will not return to training for another two weeks at least, ending hopes of a resumption of the season in early July.

The Professional Game Board (PGB), a panel made up of the power-brokers of English rugby, have agreed "more time is needed" to plan a safe return.

Some directors of rugby have stated up to eight weeks' training is required before players are match-fit.

It means the season may not resume until August at the earliest.

Premiership Rugby had targeted the first weekend of a July as a 'best-case scenario' for matches to resume.

'Players need eight weeks before return to action'
The PGB includes representatives from the Rugby Football Union, Premiership Rugby, the Rugby Players Association and Championship clubs.

"The group agreed that although a huge amount of work is being undertaken to enable a safe return to training for Premiership clubs, more time was needed to ensure that players, staff and officials can return to a safe training environment, and that is not expected to be in place for a minimum of two weeks," said Board chairman Chris Booy.

"Safety and welfare remains of paramount importance to all of us in the rugby community, and we look forward to the season resuming when it is safe to do so," he added.

If matches resume in late July or early August, the season will not end until September and could run on into October.

With international games still scheduled for late October and November, it would mean the 2020-21 Premiership season might not start until December.

However, relegated Saracens are meant to be playing in the Championship next season, with the new campaign expected to start in September as usual.

That throws up the bizarre prospect of Saracens being in the Premiership and Championship simultaneously, as well as in the quarter-finals of the yet-to-be-completed Champions Cup.

Just end the 2019-2020 season now.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

JP14 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:10 am New Zealand are bringing back rugby on June 13th, the country with one of the most strict lockdown rules (too strict in my opinion but that’s beside the point). Simply the matter is that money talks, if the players are within a controlled environment and don’t contract coronavirus then I see no issue with rugby recommencing.

People are too hung up on social distancing, it’s almost as if they don’t want normality back!
I'm not sure I do want the old normality back. This life less frantic suits me. I know it may not suit others but I rather like it
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Ian Cant wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:35 pm End the season now and plan for next including crowds.
If the pubs open in late July then there will possibly be more people in pubs over a weekend in Leicester, Bristol, Bath etc than will attend rugby games.
There will need to be a different mentality and empathy from fans. Reduce maximum attendance by say 25%. If open, bars run like the Supermarkets, only one way in and out, 2 metre distance etc. ALL fans to wash their hands thoroughly after visiting the toilets.
Unemployment is going to be bad enough without Sport, pubs,cafes, restaurants being closed for any longer than is possible.
And no, I haven’t been to the coast, to Bradgate Park as I believe if we all kept away for just 3-4 weeks longer we would smash this virus.
Things can be done with the proper organisation in all aspects of our social lives and to be honest all grounds, shopping centres etc will then be safer than they've ever been.
Our thoughts go to all key workers and especially to the families who have lost loved ones. Let’s make sure we honour both the key workers and sadly those who’ve lost lives by sensibly moving forward.
Paradoxically you are safer in the open air than in an enclosed space, that is with some distance around you. It's the viral load bit of the equation. Not original from me, but Sir David King the convenor of the 'Independent Sage' and Blair/Brown Chief Medical Officer.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Mid August , if at all this season ?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52759907
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

jgriffin wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:12 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 9:35 pm End the season now and plan for next including crowds.
Paradoxically you are safer in the open air than in an enclosed space, that is with some distance around you. It's the viral load bit of the equation. Not original from me, but Sir David King the convenor of the 'Independent Sage' and Blair/Brown Chief Medical Officer.
That makes perfect sense to me, it also occurred to me yesterday, and this is probably completely wrong, that with all this washing and sanitising going on, are we going to be more susceptible to viruses when lockdown in finally ends, and we start coming into contact with people.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:25 pm
ay2oh wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:02 pm
Rutlandtiger wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:52 pm The current situation unfortunately is the new normality for the foreseeable future. It may be possible for games to start in a very controlled manner but the big big issue here is that it will be without spectators. Until the virus is eradicated or we have a vaccine/therapeutic available then 20000 fans in a stadium just won't happen. We should assume this may be the case for several years and so plan for this. If a control therapy or protocol is found then that's a bonus.
The people that run spectator sports whether that is rugby, football, cricket or even horse racing need a plan B to ensure revenue streams are sufficient to at least allow survival and costs are controlled within those revenue streams. This revenue stream could be pay per view, maybe look to sell rights globally.
At the moment many business sectors are fighting for existence just look at hospitality, aviation etc.
Not all businesses have a right to survive or will do so, those that adapt at least have a chance!!!
Don’t think that it will be several years before rugby resumes. Would be very surprised if there isn’t a vaccine available in the next twelve months considering the number of labs working on it. :smt001
Like cures for cancer, the common cold, Ebola, etc etc....
Thank goodness Tigers are sponsored by Holland & Barrett then :smt002
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:14 am
jgriffin wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:12 pm
That makes perfect sense to me, it also occurred to me yesterday, and this is probably completely wrong, that with all this washing and sanitising going on, are we going to be more susceptible to viruses when lockdown in finally ends, and we start coming into contact with people.
Unfortunately Mark people on Twitter fail to see that or mass swathes of people going to the beach is any different than five year olds returning to school on June 1st.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Completely agree Jp and I’m happy to abide by the 2 meter rule, but I do believe the more fresh air we can all get the healthier we will be, particularly with the cleaner air.

Unfortunately part of the British psyche is to push rules until they bend a little. The scenes at the beach were a disgrace, and they’ll be the ones bothering the over stretched emergency services when the catch something.

I’ll climb down of my soapbox now
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

JP14 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:45 am Unfortunately Mark people on Twitter fail to see that or mass swathes of people going to the beach is any different than five year olds returning to school on June 1st.
Yes, because a group of 5 year olds that don't understand the concept of having to stay 2m away from their friends and their teachers and will be spending 25 hours a week together mainly in a small room is definitely the same as people sitting on a beach in the open air.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Seeing the beach scenes over past days leads me to think that a tracking and tracing database might become a requirement for all.
I'd add that the ability to track and trace is the difference for schools.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:56 am Completely agree Jp and I’m happy to abide by the 2 meter rule, but I do believe the more fresh air we can all get the healthier we will be, particularly with the cleaner air.

Unfortunately part of the British psyche is to push rules until they bend a little. The scenes at the beach were a disgrace, and they’ll be the ones bothering the over stretched emergency services when the catch something.

I’ll climb down of my soapbox now
The positive environmental impact of lockdown can't go amiss.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

After 9 weeks of lockdown that will say a lot about the parents if their kids can't still grasp social distancing.