Provisional Premiership Return Date ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Provisional Premiership Return Date ?

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

JP14 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:10 am New Zealand are bringing back rugby on June 13th, the country with one of the most strict lockdown rules (too strict in my opinion but that’s beside the point). Simply the matter is that money talks, if the players are within a controlled environment and don’t contract coronavirus then I see no issue with rugby recommencing.

People are too hung up on social distancing, it’s almost as if they don’t want normality back!
I think you might find that because NZ had an effective lockdown they can think about playing sport (yes I know it was easier for them as a country)
Your 2nd comment is quite revealing about you, I am sure the families of the many more who will die if we dont get on top of this will thank you & others who have the same view for their loss.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

JP14 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:10 am New Zealand are bringing back rugby on June 13th, the country with one of the most strict lockdown rules (too strict in my opinion but that’s beside the point). Simply the matter is that money talks, if the players are within a controlled environment and don’t contract coronavirus then I see no issue with rugby recommencing.

People are too hung up on social distancing, it’s almost as if they don’t want normality back!
Given the science of PPE (masking doesn't protect you) and the sheer illogicality of most of the population (reusing gloves?) social distancing and hand hygiene are important BUT if there is daily testing prior to training and no crowding into gyms, the risks will be lower than a player going to Sainsburys.
The formula is viral load x exposure time = risk, stick with using that and risk can be minimised.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

It is an extremely difficult time for all but at some point the country needs to try and rise from this pandemic both from a business, personal and sporting perspective. The virus is something that is new and information is becoming ever available each day as they discover elements. I don't believe that decisions to return to playing will be taken lightly and there will be strict protocol in place which all teams with have to adhere to.
The longer the delay to returning to play the more likely it is that some clubs may go under.
Not easy decisions to make and a very uncertain future lies ahead in my opinion.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 11:40 am

I think you might find that because NZ had an effective lockdown they can think about playing sport (yes I know it was easier for them as a country)
Your 2nd comment is quite revealing about you, I am sure the families of the many more who will die if we dont get on top of this will thank you & others who have the same view for their loss.
I think it's a fair point that JP14 makes.
Behaviours are more important than distancing.
It's all well and good keeping two metres apart but what use when the idiot before you in the supermarket hasn't washed their hands since last nights party!
With procedures for testing and minimal exposure in place there is no reason why rugger shouldn't return once the players are properly prepped.
Rutlandtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rutlandtiger »

The current situation unfortunately is the new normality for the foreseeable future. It may be possible for games to start in a very controlled manner but the big big issue here is that it will be without spectators. Until the virus is eradicated or we have a vaccine/therapeutic available then 20000 fans in a stadium just won't happen. We should assume this may be the case for several years and so plan for this. If a control therapy or protocol is found then that's a bonus.
The people that run spectator sports whether that is rugby, football, cricket or even horse racing need a plan B to ensure revenue streams are sufficient to at least allow survival and costs are controlled within those revenue streams. This revenue stream could be pay per view, maybe look to sell rights globally.
At the moment many business sectors are fighting for existence just look at hospitality, aviation etc.
Not all businesses have a right to survive or will do so, those that adapt at least have a chance!!!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Rutlandtiger wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:52 pm The current situation unfortunately is the new normality for the foreseeable future. It may be possible for games to start in a very controlled manner but the big big issue here is that it will be without spectators. Until the virus is eradicated or we have a vaccine/therapeutic available then 20000 fans in a stadium just won't happen. We should assume this may be the case for several years and so plan for this. If a control therapy or protocol is found then that's a bonus.
The people that run spectator sports whether that is rugby, football, cricket or even horse racing need a plan B to ensure revenue streams are sufficient to at least allow survival and costs are controlled within those revenue streams. This revenue stream could be pay per view, maybe look to sell rights globally.
At the moment many business sectors are fighting for existence just look at hospitality, aviation etc.
Not all businesses have a right to survive or will do so, those that adapt at least have a chance!!!
Don’t think that it will be several years before rugby resumes. Would be very surprised if there isn’t a vaccine available in the next twelve months considering the number of labs working on it. :smt001
A2O
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Absolutely agree both BFG and JGriffin.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

For one it's more shocking that you're seeking to politicise the deaths. But to keep this rugby related I will go no further than to say that constant testing and limited exposure outside of training facilities coupled with regular hygiene (which should be the norm anyway!) could mean that rugby will be able to resume behind closed doors.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

JP14 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:34 pm

For one it's more shocking that you're seeking to politicise the deaths. But to keep this rugby related I will go no further than to say that constant testing and limited exposure outside of training facilities coupled with regular hygiene (which should be the norm anyway!) could mean that rugby will be able to resume behind closed doors.
NZ did exactly what every country should have done when they got a small number of cases. They locked everything down and the virus effectively burnt itself out. The whole reason they can play rugby again is because of the decisive decisions made. But I understand the smaller population and much lower population density made this more practical. Still, without going into politics, this countries tactics have been shocking. They've had 10 weeks to get a contract tracing system ready to go for the lockdown relaxation in June and that won't happen. And the testing numbers are a sham, posted kits that aren't being tested aren't helping anyone work out whats going on. Anyway, enough about that...

So rugby players can wash their hands every time they touch the ball? Rugby is much more complicated a sport that even if training did resume it wouldn't be anything meaningful to get back towards match readiness. Plus the money involved in constant testing would bankrupt the clubs as well.
Super User
Super User

ay2oh wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:02 pm
Rutlandtiger wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:52 pm The current situation unfortunately is the new normality for the foreseeable future. It may be possible for games to start in a very controlled manner but the big big issue here is that it will be without spectators. Until the virus is eradicated or we have a vaccine/therapeutic available then 20000 fans in a stadium just won't happen. We should assume this may be the case for several years and so plan for this. If a control therapy or protocol is found then that's a bonus.
Don’t think that it will be several years before rugby resumes. Would be very surprised if there isn’t a vaccine available in the next twelve months considering the number of labs working on it. :smt001
Like cures for cancer, the common cold, Ebola, etc etc....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

You don't need to disinfect a ball every time someone touches it!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Not returning to training for next 2 weeks minimum
Super User
Super User

This season is over, the sooner everyone accepts that the better.
Health & Wellbeing aside, I can't see how you can work round contract dates to make it resemble the same season.
It's quite difficult to post on this subject & you get your posts removed if you use the wrong word, yet other posts remain that cast aspersions on another forum user.
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

ay2oh wrote;

‘Don’t think that it will be several years before rugby resumes. Would be very surprised if there isn’t a vaccine available in the next twelve months considering the number of labs working on it.’

Vaccines are NOT the cure.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

There comes a point when you can only postpone the league so much, I believe if July 3-5th is no longer possible then the season should be scrapped so that the 2020/21 season can begin normally or even slightly earlier.