Provisional Premiership Return Date ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: Provisional Premiership Return Date ?

Post by johnthegriff »

I frankly don't recall him ever playing prop so I don't think he could have done it very often. He was a great openside flanker and at one time I hoped he would sign for us, however in ten years since his debut he has appeared less than 200 times for Quins and now still not 30 he has stepped down to the Championship with Coventry. I wonder if that is a result of being asked to prop, I find it hard to believe Quins would pick him to start there and if he moved to that position during a game I wonder if it was uncontested scrums.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think Taufua is now on his way back, by the looks of his instagram.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:11 pm I frankly don't recall him ever playing prop so I don't think he could have done it very often. He was a great openside flanker and at one time I hoped he would sign for us, however in ten years since his debut he has appeared less than 200 times for Quins and now still not 30 he has stepped down to the Championship with Coventry. I wonder if that is a result of being asked to prop, I find it hard to believe Quins would pick him to start there and if he moved to that position during a game I wonder if it was uncontested scrums.
It was a joke jtg haha. Whenever Quins used to scrum he used to swim up and basically act as a second prop. God knows how they got away with it time and time again!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:38 am Saracens have already been given their punishment. I can't see a situation where Prem Rugby decide to add to that punishment by preventing them from playing any more games and losing the revenue.

If the season is going to be completed, then the season has to be completed. You can't pick and choose which teams you want to take part or which matches you want to go ahead.
The problem will be how hard will Sarries or their players try knowing their results will not change their outcome?
So sides who played them early on will have played live games and those who play them after relegation was confirmed will be playing matches where the outcome is important to them but little more than a friendly to Sarries. Of course pride comes into it. Gate takings are irrelevant as there are no crowds indeed the games will have a net cost to playing them.

In the circumstances I would abandon their games and scratch previous results. There may be legal reasons why this might not be possible but should be considered.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

mol2 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:44 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:38 am Saracens have already been given their punishment. I can't see a situation where Prem Rugby decide to add to that punishment by preventing them from playing any more games and losing the revenue.

If the season is going to be completed, then the season has to be completed. You can't pick and choose which teams you want to take part or which matches you want to go ahead.
The problem will be how hard will Sarries or their players try knowing their results will not change their outcome?
So sides who played them early on will have played live games and those who play them after relegation was confirmed will be playing matches where the outcome is important to them but little more than a friendly to Sarries. Of course pride comes into it. Gate takings are irrelevant as there are no crowds indeed the games will have a net cost to playing them.

In the circumstances I would abandon their games and scratch previous results. There may be legal reasons why this might not be possible but should be considered.
You've just got to believe that the players have enough pride to go for it. I can't imagine the likes of Farrell putting in anything less than 100% in a game of tag rugby in the park with mates, let alone a Premiership match whether already relegated or not.

There's logic to your argument but you could say the same any time a club is relegated before the final game of the season. It is what it is. The fact that teams play each other at different times in the season when they might be in different states of mind is all part of the complexity of sport.

Perhaps Sarries will now be even more determined to prove themselves, especially with many of them facing a year in the Championship wilderness. Who can say? If I was them I'd be looking to go out with a bang.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Worth noting perhaps as we await the games restart that Yesterday - Sat June 20 should/would have been Premiership Final day.....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Will be interesting as to how they allocate fans if they’re allowed in some capacity, I’m fairly certain however that Tigers are preparing for this and all contingencies...
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

It makes absolute sense to have fans in reduced numbers. Once they are in their seats it's an incredibly low risk situation, it's just getting them there that will be more challenging. Perhaps staggered, pre-booked, arrival times for ticket holders to avoid congestion. Not too complicated to do a staggered departure either. Is that the experience fans want though?

Difficult to manage toilets and food & drink outlets though, a lot of hospitality will be using table service only or apps to order - all much more difficult in a situation where a thousand people want to be served at exactly the same time. Order on an app and have your beer delivered to your seats?
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:25 pm It makes absolute sense to have fans in reduced numbers. Once they are in their seats it's an incredibly low risk situation, it's just getting them there that will be more challenging. Perhaps staggered, pre-booked, arrival times for ticket holders to avoid congestion. Not too complicated to do a staggered departure either. Is that the experience fans want though?

Difficult to manage toilets and food & drink outlets though, a lot of hospitality will be using table service only or apps to order - all much more difficult in a situation where a thousand people want to be served at exactly the same time. Order on an app and have your beer delivered to your seats?
Yes it certainly will be a challenge as Season ticket holders are relocated to sparse areas and time slots for arrivals & departures! But honestly can you really see ordering beer on an app and have your beer delivered to your seats !!! Ha ha ~
1 you can never get a decent pint of beer at Tigers due to the queues.
2 The beer pots are already undersize so you can guess how much will arrive on delivery..
3 By the time you log your details the game will have started and the waiter would not be popular "standing & delivering"
4 Will they be offering a "Deliverloo!" Option..??
5 What day will the delivery be. ??? If ASDA fail what chance do Tigers providers have....
There is a lot of time & planning before we are going back to the terraces and stands at Tigers and hopefully no second wave too..
Keep safe, keep smiling but most of all keep supporting Tigers. :smt023
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Oh well,at least the pubs are open next week 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I’m sure Tigers will look into how pubs are conducting business to see if it’s possible to open up the taps at Welford Road should some fans be allowed.

Remember though currently fans being permitted into the stadium is currently Stage 5, although they could swap that around with Stage 4 (playing cross-border rugby)...
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Under current guidelines, they would need to enforce socially distanced queuing at the bars outside, or seat service. Any bars inside would only be able to open if they can do table/seat service only. However, you would expect that when fans are allowed in, those guidelines will be relaxed further.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Provisional dates released for European competitions and Premiership Finals:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53175663

Have to admit, greatly anticipating restart in the UK....
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Rob Baxter quote from today's telegraph
"Physically, I think we can do it if we start soon and we have no breaks but for me to sit here and go 'we are going to be playing in mid-August' is ridiculous,” said Baxter who has not yet been able to do hands-on group coaching as the players’ furloughed status means that they are only able to do fitness sessions"

Have I missed this, are all clubs players furloughed?