Provisional Premiership Return Date ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Provisional Premiership Return Date ?

Post by JP14 »

I’d imagine the best case scenario will be as follows:
  • Play all remaining fixtures until October with the possibility of partial capacity being allowed from September onwards
  • From October to December play the final round of the Six Nations, Autumn Internationals plus any international that was missed in the summer if possible
  • Start the 2021 season after Christmas, the only issue here is the Lions so once this is all set in stone the Lions might be pushed back by a couple of weeks or a month
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:17 am I’d imagine the best case scenario will be as follows:
  • Play all remaining fixtures until October with the possibility of partial capacity being allowed from September onwards
  • From October to December play the final round of the Six Nations, Autumn Internationals plus any international that was missed in the summer if possible
  • Start the 2021 season after Christmas, the only issue here is the Lions so once this is all set in stone the Lions might be pushed back by a couple of weeks or a month
I can see European rugby taking a year’s break
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:54 am
JP14 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:17 am I’d imagine the best case scenario will be as follows:
That would seem logical but ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

It may just be me but I really don't see the need to get the 19/20 season completed, with all the potential risks to players. I know it is easy to say from where Tigers are in the league but why not just finish with the teams' current positions dictating winner/ Euro qualification etc. I know there will be clubs saying we could have/would have got to 6th place/4th place but these are exceptional times which need exceptional decisions.
For me the professional game is one played essentially to entertain spectators and if we only get to play in front of crowds come September why not just make it the start of the 20/21 season in Sept. I know there is money at stake but I understand BT have agreed to continue funds this season irrespective of decisions (may have misunderstood) and playing behind closed doors will not bring in matchday money anyway. So for me start with 20/21 season in Sept which is better for player welfare, avoids a messy fixture calender and avoids the nonsense of transferred players having played for one team for nearly half a season and another for the second half.
As Good As It Gets
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scuttle wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:27 am It may just be me but I really don't see the need to get the 19/20 season completed, with all the potential risks to players. I know it is easy to say from where Tigers are in the league but why not just finish with the teams' current positions dictating winner/ Euro qualification etc. I know there will be clubs saying we could have/would have got to 6th place/4th place but these are exceptional times which need exceptional decisions.
For me the professional game is one played essentially to entertain spectators and if we only get to play in front of crowds come September why not just make it the start of the 20/21 season in Sept. I know there is money at stake but I understand BT have agreed to continue funds this season irrespective of decisions (may have misunderstood) and playing behind closed doors will not bring in matchday money anyway. So for me start with 20/21 season in Sept which is better for player welfare, avoids a messy fixture calender and avoids the nonsense of transferred players having played for one team for nearly half a season and another for the second half.
Agreed also has it been decided what is happening regarding Newcastle and Saracens
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

The French have proposed an alternative format for next season with fewer group games. 8 teams from each league, eight groups of three, winner of each group into the semifinals. So two less weekends played in Europe. Makes sense, but I wouldn't want it to become a permanent arrangement.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

biffer wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:17 pm
The French have proposed an alternative format for next season with fewer group games. 8 teams from each league, eight groups of three, winner of each group into the semifinals. So two less weekends played in Europe. Makes sense, but I wouldn't want it to become a permanent arrangement.
Thanks hadn’t realised. Would make sense to get this year’s tournaments out of the way. That’s only 14 games across the 2 tournaments
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I would agree that European Rugby should be postponed for a while and that the impending rounds should be declared null and void.

Tough if the Celtic Nations lose out on income, it should give the Pro14 more substance.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:44 am
Scuttle wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:27 am It may just be me but I really don't see the need to get the 19/20 season completed, with all the potential risks to players. I know it is easy to say from where Tigers are in the league but why not just finish with the teams' current positions dictating winner/ Euro qualification etc. I know there will be clubs saying we could have/would have got to 6th place/4th place but these are exceptional times which need exceptional decisions.
Agreed also has it been decided what is happening regarding Newcastle and Saracens
I think Falcons are going up as long as they are still about.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52133983

https://inews.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/n ... ge-2527693
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

h's dad wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:21 pm
Mark62 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:44 am
I think Falcons are going up as long as they are still about.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52133983

https://inews.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/n ... ge-2527693
I get that but what I meant was that if the 19/20 season is to be concluded starting in August, do Saracens play those fixtures or will Falcons play half a season
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Saracens will be relegated at the end of the season, so if the rest of the season is to be played then they will take part in it, not Newcastle. It would be bizarre (and wholly unfair to many other teams) to promote Newcastle now and let them play half a season :smt017
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

If I were Prem Rugby, I wouldn’t hold any of the remaining Saracens fixtures so a team gets a bye every week, considering we could be playing midweek games this could prevent players from getting overloaded.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I agree JP14 but before doing that Saracens results for the whole season should be omitted from the League with points cancelled. All teams will have changed squads for the new season but Saracens will have deliberately weakened theirs as they prepare for the Championship so any games they play will possibly give false results and be of advantage to teams still to play them and may affect final league positions and European qualification.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

johnthegriff wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:44 am I agree JP14 but before doing that Saracens results for the whole season should be omitted from the League with points cancelled. All teams will have changed squads for the new season but Saracens will have deliberately weakened theirs as they prepare for the Championship so any games they play will possibly give false results and be of advantage to teams still to play them and may affect final league positions and European qualification.
Unfortunately I think Prem Rugby's bigger priority is to play rugby so they wouldn't care if Worcester finished top of league just as long as the season is finished for the economic safety of both the clubs & the competition.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Saracens have already been given their punishment. I can't see a situation where Prem Rugby decide to add to that punishment by preventing them from playing any more games and losing the revenue.

If the season is going to be completed, then the season has to be completed. You can't pick and choose which teams you want to take part or which matches you want to go ahead.