Provisional Premiership Return Date ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Provisional Premiership Return Date ?

Post by Longshanks »

biffer wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:50 pm An employer .... has to take reasonable steps to protect your health......
This is absolutely the correct wording according to the law - from which a number of difficulties arise. Partly because the interpretation of reasonable is a subjective judgement but also because it is most often in the wake of something going wrong that such judgements are made.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

biffer wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:10 pm
BFG wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:41 pm
biffer wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:50 pm

It's not about whether or not the government singles a sport out, it's about whether or not that sport can provide a suitably safe workspace for players and officials. That's a legal obligation which nowadays carries very heavy penalties if the worst happens, i.e. jail time for execs. It's much easier to see how you can do that in golf than in rugby.
What kind of legal obligation exists and does it apply to all or specific viruses?
An employer has an obligation to provide a safe working environment. That doesn't mean you have to be wrapped in cotton wool, it means your employer has to take reasonable steps to protect your health. his is where all sorts of employers may have difficulties - there are some activities which might not be considered safe until a vaccine is found.
No doubt you are correct, great care and attention to detail is needed, at the same time though the flu is about and does severely affect many annually.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Longshanks wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:30 pm
biffer wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:50 pm An employer .... has to take reasonable steps to protect your health......
This is absolutely the correct wording according to the law - from which a number of difficulties arise. Partly because the interpretation of reasonable is a subjective judgement but also because it is most often in the wake of something going wrong that such judgements are made.
That's kind of the point. This is such a new situation that no one is sure what reasonable is, so it's very easy to leave yourself open to liability.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

BFG wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:50 pm
biffer wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:10 pm
BFG wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:41 pm

What kind of legal obligation exists and does it apply to all or specific viruses?
An employer has an obligation to provide a safe working environment. That doesn't mean you have to be wrapped in cotton wool, it means your employer has to take reasonable steps to protect your health. his is where all sorts of employers may have difficulties - there are some activities which might not be considered safe until a vaccine is found.
No doubt you are correct, great care and attention to detail is needed, at the same time though the flu is about and does severely affect many annually.
Yeah, but we know what reasonable steps are with regards to the flu. If you say you know what reasonable steps are wrt CV19, you're making massive assumptions. You'd need to be able to substantiate your basis for those assumptions if something went wrong, and saying 'it's just like the flu' doesn't cut it.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I doubt there will be any proper training any time soon but the lads could be brought in, in stages to undergo various physical conditioning tests. Obviously out on the pitches and correctly distanced using sanitised equipment with coaches having the correct masks and gloves. A staggered half day session over several days with cameras set up so that our new S&C man can view if he's not in the country. Then they can specific plans tailored for them to undertake so when the all clear is given for proper testing they will return physically fit and ready to resume with an onus more on skills.

Some inventive thinking could see the lads undertaking some technical training. Kickers coming in at set times to practising kicking at goal or for touch. Back three players coming in for a session with the big boot machine from match days. Easy to do those type of things socially distanced with disinfected balls.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I thought I caught COVID19 through our 6th form returning from an Italian ski trip. Now I realise I should have had disinfected balls 😅😅😅
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

jgriffin wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:04 pm I thought I caught COVID19 through our 6th form returning from an Italian ski trip. Now I realise I should have had disinfected balls 😅😅😅
Before you know it, Trump will be taking this up as his answer to prevent infection.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RichieB wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:45 pm
jgriffin wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:04 pm I thought I caught COVID19 through our 6th form returning from an Italian ski trip. Now I realise I should have had disinfected balls 😅😅😅
Before you know it, Trump will be taking this up as his answer to prevent infection.
Trump would likely suggest that they replace the ball with a packet of anti-bacterial wipes.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

They might be deciding a return date for limited training today though apparently Sale have already took the initiative and started on Monday.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

It really is time that reality took over & end this season & try to work towards starting next season as near to booked time as possible. The nature of rugby makes it far harder to mitigate against possible transmission.

We are in a deep hole as a country because of the way our response was handled, sport really is down the bottom with the hospitality industry in coming back on stream.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

At last a little whiff of reality amongst clouds of wishful thinking. We are all Tigers' fans and want nothing more than a resumption of rugby as it was - but it cannot and will not happen in the near future. It's difficult to imagine a sport that is more inimical to social distancing than Rugby Union. Mauling, tackling, scrummaging. Think of the vapour that billows out of reset scrums, visible on cold days. The cost and logistical challenge of getting 50 players & officials who have been tested and then quarantined in a bio-secure stadium for a week or more is prohibitive, no impossible as rugby doesn't have the limitless financial resources of Premiership Football. Then what happens when a player starts to show symptoms or thinks he might be showing symptoms? The match has to be cancelled and the players isolated for another couple of weeks. Most players are fit young men, of course, who if infected are likely to have mild or no symptoms but what about the one in a hundred (five hundred?) who develops serious symptoms. Who is legally responsible, morally responsible? What about the medical consequences, if he dies the PR damage to the sport? So we should forget about this season and personally I cannot see a 2020/21 season starting in September. There will be talk of alteration to the rules, fewer players (7 a side? touch rugby? Not for me, thanks) so that there can be some sort of rugby for TV viewers but if we are talking about proper rugby played in front of a 20,000+ crowd at Welford Road, more realistically we should start thinking about September 2021.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Jacko27 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 11:29 pm At last a little whiff of reality amongst clouds of wishful thinking. We are all Tigers' fans and want nothing more than a resumption of rugby as it was - but it cannot and will not happen in the near future. It's difficult to imagine a sport that is more inimical to social distancing than Rugby Union. Mauling, tackling, scrummaging. Think of the vapour that billows out of reset scrums, visible on cold days. The cost and logistical challenge of getting 50 players & officials who have been tested and then quarantined in a bio-secure stadium for a week or more is prohibitive, no impossible as rugby doesn't have the limitless financial resources of Premiership Football. Then what happens when a player starts to show symptoms or thinks he might be showing symptoms? The match has to be cancelled and the players isolated for another couple of weeks. Most players are fit young men, of course, who if infected are likely to have mild or no symptoms but what about the one in a hundred (five hundred?) who develops serious symptoms. Who is legally responsible, morally responsible? What about the medical consequences, if he dies the PR damage to the sport? So we should forget about this season and personally I cannot see a 2020/21 season starting in September. There will be talk of alteration to the rules, fewer players (7 a side? touch rugby? Not for me, thanks) so that there can be some sort of rugby for TV viewers but if we are talking about proper rugby played in front of a 20,000+ crowd at Welford Road, more realistically we should start thinking about September 2021.
If rugby does not return before this September let alone September 2021, the reality is that many clubs shall no longer be in business.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

New Zealand are bringing back rugby on June 13th, the country with one of the most strict lockdown rules (too strict in my opinion but that’s beside the point). Simply the matter is that money talks, if the players are within a controlled environment and don’t contract coronavirus then I see no issue with rugby recommencing.

People are too hung up on social distancing, it’s almost as if they don’t want normality back!
Flash

Post by Flash »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... hot-clubs/

Doesn't look like players will return to training before July. Not sure how scrapping 6 rounds of the season would work, all looking more likely to cancel this season imo.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Well I assume all teams would just been given points for a draw for those cancelled six fixtures. But until we hear something from Premiership Rugby, given the press' ability to just purely speculate during this Pandemic, I would take anything else as a pinch of salt.