Provisional Premiership Return Date ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Provisional Premiership Return Date ?

Post by JP14 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 9:18 pm A return to professional sport is still a long way off in my opinion.
Not for another two months in the best case scenario.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

No professional sport before June 1st at the earliest
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Rugby will also be one of the last professional sports to start up, given the amount of close physical contact involved.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

biffer wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:22 pm Rugby will also be one of the last professional sports to start up, given the amount of close physical contact involved.
Especially in the ABC bar after the match!
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The government hasn’t specifically singled out rugby so if all goes to plan hopefully the target of July 3-5th is now more realistic.

The issues now for Premiership Rugby is to whether host all matches at a neutral venue or continue at normal stadia behind closed doors. Let’s hope the clubs are more unified than their football counterparts.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

I read that it could be that spectators won’t be allowed until a vaccine is found.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:48 pm I read that it could be that spectators won’t be allowed until a vaccine is found.
Will be a long while until the terrace is opened but i could see other stands being open for families to sit 2 metres apart from each other.

As a vaccine won’t be available for some time yet I’m hoping the virus will be severely dented by the track & trace programme and that it will allow some kind of normality to resume.
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

would the club be able to accommodate all season ticket holders? If only seated supporters were allowed would terrace st holders be allocated seats? Would there have to be refunds for st holders who normally stand or were moved to cheaper areas of the stands to ensure social distancing? A lot to be worked out before any decision can be made
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:44 pm would the club be able to accommodate all season ticket holders? If only seated supporters were allowed would terrace st holders be allocated seats? Would there have to be refunds for st holders who normally stand or were moved to cheaper areas of the stands to ensure social distancing? A lot to be worked out before any decision can be made
This would be very difficult to arrange. It can’t just be calculated on how many season ticket holders there are. How many live in the same household meaning they could sit next to each other? If people then chose to ignore the 2 metre rule, would there be enough stewards to sort it?
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

JP14 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:47 pm The government hasn’t specifically singled out rugby so if all goes to plan hopefully the target of July 3-5th is now more realistic.

The issues now for Premiership Rugby is to whether host all matches at a neutral venue or continue at normal stadia behind closed doors. Let’s hope the clubs are more unified than their football counterparts.
It's not about whether or not the government singles a sport out, it's about whether or not that sport can provide a suitably safe workspace for players and officials. That's a legal obligation which nowadays carries very heavy penalties if the worst happens, i.e. jail time for execs. It's much easier to see how you can do that in golf than in rugby.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

biffer wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:50 pm
JP14 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:47 pm The government hasn’t specifically singled out rugby so if all goes to plan hopefully the target of July 3-5th is now more realistic.

It's not about whether or not the government singles a sport out, it's about whether or not that sport can provide a suitably safe workspace for players and officials. That's a legal obligation which nowadays carries very heavy penalties if the worst happens, i.e. jail time for execs. It's much easier to see how you can do that in golf than in rugby.
If the government say "it's ok to start playing professional rugby again" then no one is going to go to jail for starting to play professional rugby again, assuming they abide by any conditions.

Regardless, proving someone's broken leg was caused at work is pretty simple, but proving beyond doubt that someone caught a virus from a particular source is almost impossible. No one will be going to jail if they wait for the green light from government and implement all guidelines.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

biffer wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:50 pm

What kind of legal obligation exists and does it apply to all or specific viruses?
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote:

I read that it could be that spectators won’t be allowed until a vaccine is found.

If that were the case, I would be forced to become an armchair spectator. Sadly.

Was greatly looking forward to next season.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

That may not be the case, rather than praying for a vaccine to become available sooner than later we should be focusing on using the impending app to help end lockdown.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Hopefully this means some kind of training can resume soon:

https://t.co/RGbMIF61xL