Provisional Premiership Return Date ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Provisional Premiership Return Date ?

Post by sapajo »

I do not see professional sport being somewhere near the front of the queue for NHS testing anytime soon.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sapajo wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:43 pm I do not see professional sport being somewhere near the front of the queue for NHS testing anytime soon.
It wouldn't surprise me with football at all!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

sapajo wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:43 pm I do not see professional sport being somewhere near the front of the queue for NHS testing anytime soon.
Front of the queue is the wrong terminology clearly but it wouldn't need a huge amount of testing for rugby to get restarted.

Some rough numbers - 1000 tests would cover the squads, coaches and team medics? Then 100 tests for the match day refs? So hopefully the system will be able to cope with that. Obviously, it needs paramedics/ambulances etc so it's more complicated but I don't think it will be too long before sport is back on TV with no crowds.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Sounds simple - but what if you get a positive test?

Lockdown the team?
If multiple games are played at a single venue on the same day there is the potential for someone to test positive a day or two later and then what happens do all the squads go into lockdown?

It might prove more practical in terms of wider spreading to play the games at the intended venue or at a limited number of venues to minimise the logistics for the TV crews.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:10 pm
Can clubs force players to play? What happens if a player gets Covid will he take legal action? What happens to the competition if the team and or squad have to go into isolation ? Contrary to what some may think its more than just testing, there are serious ongoing issues which as yet remain unresolved.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

sapajo wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:32 am
Scott1 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 11:10 pm
Can clubs force players to play? What happens if a player gets Covid will he take legal action? What happens to the competition if the team and or squad have to go into isolation ? Contrary to what some may think its more than just testing, there are serious ongoing issues which as yet remain unresolved.
It's incredibly complex. But a lot of those questions will be down to the rugby authorities rather than the government once the testing capacity and medical cover can be provided to the squads.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

One of the other issues is that the Ambulance Service will need to be available for matches which may be a barrier to a restart.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

It's not the front of the queue for NHS testing, it's the front of the queue for being able to buy testing equipment/kits when there is spare capacity, as I understand it.

I assume that players' associations, competitions, clubs, unions etc would all have to agree to a restart. What's more likely, a rugby player getting Covid while playing rugby and being seriously ill from it, or sustaining a serious injury? I'm sure if any players don't want to be involved then the clubs will have to deal with that as and when it comes up, but I can't see many taking that stance, particularly if everyone is tested before hand.

The thing with catching covid is that you can't prove where you got it from. So how could you sue your club if you can;t prove that you caught it while playing rugby?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Testing for Covid is the same as an MOT certificate, ie its only valid on the day its conducted. Furthermore the cost of maintaining and conducting a Covid testing programme until such times when a vaccine becomes available would be prohibitive.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

sapajo wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:31 pm Testing for Covid is the same as an MOT certificate, ie its only valid on the day its conducted. Furthermore the cost of maintaining and conducting a Covid testing programme until such times when a vaccine becomes available would be prohibitive.
Indeed and it would require a rapid test ideally carried out on the day of the game but even then somebody with a low virus load at the time may test negative although still be infectious.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Just seen on Facebook a picture of Baths Rec and the whole pitch looks as though it is in the process of being reseeded..........guess if that is the case, they may know more than what is being said publicly.
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

chewbacca wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:12 pm
sapajo wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:31 pm Testing for Covid is the same as an MOT certificate, ie its only valid on the day its conducted. Furthermore the cost of maintaining and conducting a Covid testing programme until such times when a vaccine becomes available would be prohibitive.
Indeed and it would require a rapid test ideally carried out on the day of the game but even then somebody with a low virus load at the time may test negative although still be infectious.
No, it won't be cheap and, no, it won't be completely flawless. But it might be the best (or only) option available.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:35 pm Just seen on Facebook a picture of Baths Rec and the whole pitch looks as though it is in the process of being reseeded..........guess if that is the case, they may know more than what is being said publicly.
Interesting, but maybe Bath are pushing the initiative? It’s true there might be information behind withheld behind closed doors, but in this scenario I would suggest that’s for the better.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:08 pm One of the other issues is that the Ambulance Service will need to be available for matches which may be a barrier to a restart.
If the downward trend continues and there isn’t a second peak, for example Italy and Spain have yet to see a resurgence, then by July it could be feasible for ambulances to be available for rugby matches.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

www.matthampson.co.uk