Jonah Holmes

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Jonah Holmes

Post by Mark62 »

So he’s put in a request for his contract to be ended a year early which Tigers have accepted.

Good luck to him, though there are a couple on here who will say we should have kept a player who asked to leave to further his ambitions.

If given the choice between Welford road and Rodney parade I know where I’d rather play my home games but the WRU has spoken.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:11 pm
So he’s put in a request for his contract to be ended a year early which Tigers have accepted.

Good luck to him, though there are a couple on here who will say we should have kept a player who asked to leave to further his ambitions.

If given the choice between Welford road and Rodney parade I know where I’d rather play my home games but the WRU has spoken.
Yep. This is probably the last opportunity for him to stake a claim to a Wales jersey. A shame they force them to move to the regions to do so, but hey, nothing we can do.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:16 pm
Mark62 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:11 pm

Yep. This is probably the last opportunity for him to stake a claim to a Wales jersey. A shame they force them to move to the regions to do so, but hey, nothing we can do.
Absolutely but there are some who won’t see that.

Ironic thing is that had we not taken a punt on him from Leeds, he wouldn’t have been so widely seen and his Welsh heritage may not have been discovered
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

No problem with Holmes going: his heart wasn’t in Tigers so good luck to him in Wales.
What’s Alex Lewington doing??
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Can’t see as we’d have agreed to the release without having alternatives in place. This has been rumbling in for a few weeks now.
Remembering when Nadolo signed, we had an offer on the table for May, and had Holmes under contract, there must be room in the budget still to replace both.
To lose both May & Holmes, plus Thompstone, with only Nadolo coming in leaves us very short.
Now whether some of the May contract has been reallocated to Matt Scott, and we will look at more ‘project’ level options remains to be seen.
Alternatively, maybe we’ll only prioritise one better calibre starter option to replace May, and then one project to replace Holmes and Thompstone plus place faith in SAR, Olowofela, Browning.
We also have the option to juggle around current players, Viljoen or Steward at 15, Veianu on the wing.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Ian Cant wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:39 pm No problem with Holmes going: his heart wasn’t in Tigers so good luck to him in Wales.
What’s Alex Lewington doing??
Rumoured to be leaving Sarries but nothing announced yet. He'd fit Holmes squad place very well.

I get the feeling with Scott signing (i.e. several senior players in the centre) that we might be looking at Nadolo and Veainu as first choice wingers with Steward stepping up at fullback. If so I flipping love that back three and the trust placed in Steward.

I mentioned it in the transfers thread but if Christian Wade doesn't make an NFL roster this season then he will probably eye a return to rugby. He could be a very good signing for Tigers.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:34 pm Can’t see as we’d have agreed to the release without having alternatives in place. This has been rumbling in for a few weeks now.
Remembering when Nadolo signed, we had an offer on the table for May, and had Holmes under contract, there must be room in the budget still to replace both.
To lose both May & Holmes, plus Thompstone, with only Nadolo coming in leaves us very short.
Now whether some of the May contract has been reallocated to Matt Scott, and we will look at more ‘project’ level options remains to be seen.
Alternatively, maybe we’ll only prioritise one better calibre starter option to replace May, and then one project to replace Holmes and Thompstone plus place faith in SAR, Olowofela, Browning.
We also have the option to juggle around current players, Viljoen or Steward at 15, Veianu on the wing.
I've made the comparison before but Wasps have done well in attack this season with Marcus Watson, Kibirige, Bassett and Odogwu as wing options.

I can actually see us replacing Holmes with a similar quality player such as Lewington. Then signing a Championship winger such as Jack Spittle for depth. Steward is ready for first XV rugby - he's the same age as Rees-Zammit and Manu Vunipola for instance. Joe Browning will be ready for Challenge Cup rugby after another pre-season as well in my opinion.

I think Tigers might be taking the view that actually getting the ball to less expensive wingers will be more effective than having international wingers getting cold on the touchline. I wouldn't mind concessions being made on the wing to allow strengthening of the midfield (Scott) and forwards (a stronger second row joining is really important).
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

newport tiger wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:13 am There is a piece in Wales online linking Jonah with a potential move to the Dragons so that he can further his international career. I hope this is just a case of lazy journalist speculation rather than fact. Sorry i did try and copy the link but it wouldn't take.
I am really sad to see him go, he has never let us down :(
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

A shame he is leaving , wish him all the best and hope it works out as he wishes.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

Pinot Tiger wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:43 pm
chipnchase wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:40 am
Scott1 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:15 pm
I always rated Thacker,I was gutted when he left. Olowofela Is ok,nothing more imo. Hes a back up winger

Totally agree, the lad is only 21. You show me any player of that age holding down a shirt in the Championship let alone the Premiership.

We have to lose this judgmental mentality as a supporter base towards academy players. He might be 'just ok' at the moment but in 5 years time could be lifting prem trophies, have we forgotten the likes of Vesty and Hipkiss?

We need to be supporting the lads who come through the academy, some will sink and some will swim in their own time. What people forget on social media and forums is that young players thrive on confidence and when they read these comments saying they are average it doesnt help their development.

Lets get behind the academy as much as we would the first team in the coming years, we've had enough bad times already!

The Curry Boys more than hold their own in the Premiership and more. Not 22 until June. Just saying
Referring to the exception there rather than the rule. Just saying
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

chipnchase wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:29 am
Pinot Tiger wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:43 pm
chipnchase wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:40 am

The Curry Boys more than hold their own in the Premiership and more. Not 22 until June. Just saying
Referring to the exception there rather than the rule. Just saying
Marcus Smith 18, Ben Youngs 17, Jack Willis 19, George Ford 16, Rees Zammit 18, Ben & Tom Curry 18, Thomas Young 19, Nick Isiekwe 18, Jackson Wray 19 - there are literally hundreds of players great and not so great who debuted in their late teens.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Rodney Parade on a winter Friday? 😩👎
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

jgriffin wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:07 pm Rodney Parade on a winter Friday? 😩👎
Dean Ryan seems to be a draw
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Positional switch to Outside Centre when required :
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/jonah-ho ... t-dragons/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Mark62 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:09 pm
jgriffin wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:07 pm Rodney Parade on a winter Friday? 😩👎
Dean Ryan seems to be a draw
One thing we both agree on, Rodney Parade :smt012
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.