Jonah Holmes

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Jonah Holmes

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

We've lost the two wingers we had who were in their 'peak' years.

Interesting to see if we try and fill that gap or we go with a split of those in their twilight years (Nadolo and Thompstone) and those just starting out (Olowafela, Aspland-Robinson, Browning).
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Not sure what people are seeing in Olawefela! 🤔
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:08 pm Not sure what people are seeing in Olawefela! 🤔
I agree. I saw him in the friendly against Cardiff Blues and he looked a great prospect and was one of the best players on the pitch but since then, he has done nothing and not shown the pace that he showed in that friendly game.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:08 pm Not sure what people are seeing in Olawefela! 🤔
To be fair to Olowafela he's been a part of a dysfunctional back line both in attack and defence, with little front foot ball from the forwards so i'd cut any back some slack under those circumstances. I also think he's been slung in at the deep end due to lack of availability of others, has done a good job as a stop gap IMO. Still a good prospect in the making.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

DingDong wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:27 am
johnthegriff wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:32 am Jonah is a good player and an asset to our club, however he is not as good as Johnny May, he is a very useful squad player who we picked up from the Championship and developed, he should have played more in his first season but for MOC in my opinion wrongly preferred Malouf. Supposing the rumour to be true I have no idea if it is Jonah's idea to go or the clubs, at this stage in his career I think a move to Dragons is a backward step for him. As for Tigers I think Olowofela is potentially a great winger, Nadolo is obviously a good signing but due to age is short term. Browning is not yet ready to start in the Premiership, Aspland- Robinson could but he must stay fit. Steward could start at 15 releasing Veainu to the wing but just maybe we should be checking who is available at the right price, Lewington ?
Agree he is a huge asset to Tigers, but a backward step? Jonah was signed from Yorkshire Carnegie almost certainly on a pittance especially as to what Johnny was on. Not as good player but still an electrifying pace and wonderful finishing skills. He's more likely to get a starting shirt at Scarlets, more money and a better opportunity to fight for an international cap. A step forward i'd say!
But the rumours are he is going to Dragons, not Scarletts :smt017
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Scott1 says he doesn’t see what people see in Olowofela:
I watched him home and away last year: his attitude was exemplary and after his season ending injury at Quins( was at The Stoop) he made a great effort to stop their final try resulting in dislocating his shoulder. At the last home game v Bath I spoke to him and said what a valiant effort he put in at Quins:
“ Thanks but I was devastated I didn’t get enough of my body underneath their bloke to prevent the try.”
This season, some of his finishing has been excellent and he had another superb finish chalked off because the ref asked the wrong question.
Then there was the great running line from deep to help, along with TV, to set up May’s bonus point try v Bristol!
Get behind these youngsters.
Look at what happened with Thacker: lots of fans moaned about him then realised how good he was once he played regularly for Bristol.
I also remember a young Alex Lewington have some fans say they didn’t see what some people’s fussing about how promising he was and sadly the club let him go!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Ian Cant wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:06 pm Scott1 says he doesn’t see what people see in Olowofela:
I watched him home and away last year: his attitude was exemplary and after his season ending injury at Quins( was at The Stoop) he made a great effort to stop their final try resulting in dislocating his shoulder. At the last home game v Bath I spoke to him and said what a valiant effort he put in at Quins:
“ Thanks but I was devastated I didn’t get enough of my body underneath their bloke to prevent the try.”
This season, some of his finishing has been excellent and he had another superb finish chalked off because the ref asked the wrong question.
Then there was the great running line from deep to help, along with TV, to set up May’s bonus point try v Bristol!
Get behind these youngsters.
Look at what happened with Thacker: lots of fans moaned about him then realised how good he was once he played regularly for Bristol.
I also remember a young Alex Lewington have some fans say they didn’t see what some people’s fussing about how promising he was and sadly the club let him go!
I always rated Thacker,I was gutted when he left. Olowofela Is ok,nothing more imo. Hes a back up winger for me
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Jonah is moving for the right reasons and Nemani Nadolo is not a bad replacement. We also have good young wingers coming through so I don't think there is much cause for concern.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Obviously the Olowofela naysayers haven’t seen his recent performances; was it against Bristol he did his ridiculous run from his own half to set up TV?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:23 pm Obviously the Olowofela naysayers haven’t seen his recent performances; was it against Bristol he did his ridiculous run from his own half to set up TV?
Yes I did see it,its about the all round package and consistency for me.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

kk20gb30 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:56 am Lewington from Sarries a fair call ; permanent deal, however , not a loan.
He’s out of contract at Sarries isn’t he? So he’d have no one to be on loan from...
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:24 pm
kk20gb30 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:56 am Lewington from Sarries a fair call ; permanent deal, however , not a loan.
He’s out of contract at Sarries isn’t he? So he’d have no one to be on loan from...
..contractual position undisclosed..should this be the case would be beneficial to any potential suitor.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I couldn't agree more. He has shown little promise as a Premiership player.

Very disappointed to see Holmes exiting as well as J.M. The powers that be should have seen this as a possibility a year ago. Bad contract negotiating imo.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Oh yes, I am sure Holmes is to join Dragons.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Dangerous4 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:38 pm
I couldn't agree more. He has shown little promise as a Premiership player.

Very disappointed to see Holmes exiting as well as J.M. The powers that be should have seen this as a possibility a year ago. Bad contract negotiating imo.
[My bold] Maybe they did. Maybe they ensured he couldn't leave without a replacement being lined up. Maybe it's all under control?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives