Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Jonah Holmes

Post by RagingBull »

Dangerous4 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:38 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:08 pm Not sure what people are seeing in Olawefela! 🤔
I couldn't agree more. He has shown little promise as a Premiership player.

Very disappointed to see Holmes exiting as well as J.M. The powers that be should have seen this as a possibility a year ago. Bad contract negotiating imo.
Yep what idiots not being able to foresee a pandemic that would make us miss what around 7 home games.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:15 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:06 pm Scott1 says he doesn’t see what people see in Olowofela:
I watched him home and away last year: his attitude was exemplary and after his season ending injury at Quins( was at The Stoop) he made a great effort to stop their final try resulting in dislocating his shoulder. At the last home game v Bath I spoke to him and said what a valiant effort he put in at Quins:
“ Thanks but I was devastated I didn’t get enough of my body underneath their bloke to prevent the try.”
This season, some of his finishing has been excellent and he had another superb finish chalked off because the ref asked the wrong question.
Then there was the great running line from deep to help, along with TV, to set up May’s bonus point try v Bristol!
Get behind these youngsters.
Look at what happened with Thacker: lots of fans moaned about him then realised how good he was once he played regularly for Bristol.
I also remember a young Alex Lewington have some fans say they didn’t see what some people’s fussing about how promising he was and sadly the club let him go!
I always rated Thacker,I was gutted when he left. Olowofela Is ok,nothing more imo. Hes a back up winger for me
Totally agree, the lad is only 21. You show me any player of that age holding down a shirt in the Championship let alone the Premiership.

We have to lose this judgmental mentality as a supporter base towards academy players. He might be 'just ok' at the moment but in 5 years time could be lifting prem trophies, have we forgotten the likes of Vesty and Hipkiss?

We need to be supporting the lads who come through the academy, some will sink and some will swim in their own time. What people forget on social media and forums is that young players thrive on confidence and when they read these comments saying they are average it doesnt help their development.

Lets get behind the academy as much as we would the first team in the coming years, we've had enough bad times already!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

chipnchase wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:40 am
Ian Cant wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:06 pm Scott1 says he doesn’t see what people see in Olowofela:
I watched him home and away last year: his attitude was exemplary and after his season ending injury at Quins( was at The Stoop) he made a great effort to stop their final try resulting in dislocating his shoulder. At the last home game v Bath I spoke to him and said what a valiant effort he put in at Quins:
“ Thanks but I was devastated I didn’t get enough of my body underneath their bloke to prevent the try.”
This season, some of his finishing has been excellent and he had another superb finish chalked off because the ref asked the wrong question.
Then there was the great running line from deep to help, along with TV, to set up May’s bonus point try v Bristol!
Look at what happened with Thacker: lots of fans moaned about him then realised how good he was once he played regularly for Bristol.
I also remember a young Alex Lewington have some fans say they didn’t see what some people’s fussing about how promising he was and sadly the club let him go!
I always rated Thacker,I was gutted when he left. Olowofela Is ok,nothing more imo. Hes a back up winger for me
Totally agree, the lad is only 21. You show me any player of that age holding down a shirt in the Championship let alone the Premiership.

We have to lose this judgmental mentality as a supporter base towards academy players. He might be 'just ok' at the moment but in 5 years time could be lifting prem trophies, have we forgotten the likes of Vesty and Hipkiss?

We need to be supporting the lads who come through the academy, some will sink and some will swim in their own time. What people forget on social media and forums is that young players thrive on confidence and when they read these comments saying they are average it doesnt help their development.

Lets get behind the academy as much as we would the first team in the coming years, we've had enough bad times already!
Far too sensible for some on here :smt003
A2O
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:38 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:08 pm Not sure what people are seeing in Olawefela! 🤔
I couldn't agree more. He has shown little promise as a Premiership player.

Very disappointed to see Holmes exiting as well as J.M. The powers that be should have seen this as a possibility a year ago. Bad contract negotiating imo.
I think Jordan has improved steadily since he came into the first team. Given our stuttering attack he's not had much to work with. We saw where he's best Vs Glaws I think it was when he was used off of the blindside wing coming across on an outside arc. Hopefully with a more cohesive attacking game plan we'll see him have more impact next season.

I dislike how we've allowed both wing speedsters to be out of contract in the same summer but it happens sometimes. Really should have extended Holmes for two years before his callup. He was a Championship find though and there's some pacey finishers in that league currently we could recruit for a fraction of the price to try and be the next Holmes.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Something perhaps to take into account .The Club cannot force someone to either sign or extend a contract (more's the pity in some cases).
Last edited by kk20gb30 on Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Is he being bought out of contract or his contract up for renewal?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

he is under contract at Tigers - so compensation will have to be appropriate
Less is more....
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I haven't actually read any confirmation that Holmes is leaving - have I missed something?

The closest I can find is Murphy saying that Holmes has been in contact with Wales but is under contract and they will see how it plays out.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Newport keeping busy :
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52472524

Any relevance , I wonder ?
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Pinot Tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Pinot Tiger »

chipnchase wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:40 am

The Curry Boys more than hold their own in the Premiership and more. Not 22 until June. Just saying
To Toulouse and beyond...
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Young men develop physically and mentally at different rates, some peak at 21 some at 25 others at 28. There are some who become Premiership players or even internationals before they are fully physically mature and have injury problems whilst still relatively young when they should actually be at their best. The lucky few of those struggle through those years and have a good end to their career post thirty, others retire before that age. Chipnchase is correct we should get behind and support our young players who will make mistakes as they learn but with experience and confidence will repay fans understanding. A player like Johnny May is far better at 29 than he was at 21. George Ford was an outstanding 19 year old but not as good as Toby Flood our then first choice fly half. George is now a better player than Floody ever was!
Young men need time, fans need patience, not all promising youngsters actually make the grade some plateau too early others go on to achieve standards few thought them capable of. We all have our opinions but only time shows who is right,
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

+1
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:35 pm Young men develop physically and mentally at different rates, some peak at 21 some at 25 others at 28.
59 and still waiting to peak....
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/ti ... for-holmes

Personally, I have grave doubts that this will end up as a good move for the lad but I'm sure we'd all wish him the very best of luck.

Fortunately, he still had time on his contract so we'll have had a degree of control over events with time to adapt accordingly. How much the Covid-19 pandemic has disrupted plans remains to be seen.
Last edited by strawclearer on Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Another quality player bites the dust!! Shambles having to release him from his contract :smt013

Let’s hope the club have a replacement in the bag already!!!