Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Good job Burns has left Bath...

Post by Cardiff Tig »

BFG wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:07 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:16 pm
JP14 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:57 pm Well when you're behind Priestland in the pecking order at Bath, I find it quite understandable for someone of Freddie's ability to seek employment elsewhere.
That’s my point. Priestland is ahead of him.
Priestland over Burns isn't a strong argument given that Bath are mid-table.
A cracking player at his best, but his whole career has been a bit of a let down IMO. Never quite showed the promise that he could of. He could easily have been a mainstay in the England squads but was never consistently performing. Gloucester, Leicester and now Bath all thinking the same.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:55 pm
BFG wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:07 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:16 pm

That’s my point. Priestland is ahead of him.
Priestland over Burns isn't a strong argument given that Bath are mid-table.
A cracking player at his best, but his whole career has been a bit of a let down IMO. Never quite showed the promise that he could of. He could easily have been a mainstay in the England squads but was never consistently performing. Gloucester, Leicester and now Bath all thinking the same.
Burns is a good watch.
He is something different, is not afraid to play and I like that.
Sadly IMO coaches mostly don't favour the unpredictable.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Quite telling that no other premiership teams wanted to sign him.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

BigDan50 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:46 pm Quite telling that no other premiership teams wanted to sign him.
Are you sure they didn't? Maybe they did and he didn't rate the offer or they didn't fancy his terms.

Maybe he just felt disillusioned in England and fancied chancing his arm in Japan, possibly the lure of experiencing a new culture and (probably) a high wage was tempting - and better than other offers.

'Possibly' and 'maybe' in there...but nothing I've found/seen directly evidences the claim no-one else wanted him, unless you have something to confirm it?
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Coleshillad »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:10 pm
BigDan50 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:46 pm Quite telling that no other premiership teams wanted to sign him.
Are you sure they didn't? Maybe they did and he didn't rate the offer or they didn't fancy his terms.

Maybe he just felt disillusioned in England and fancied chancing his arm in Japan, possibly the lure of experiencing a new culture and (probably) a high wage was tempting - and better than other offers.

'Possibly' and 'maybe' in there...but nothing I've found/seen directly evidences the claim no-one else wanted him, unless you have something to confirm it?
Whitecap Tiger, I think you are right. For what its worth, I think, at different times, he could have been managed better. I don't think we've seen the best of him, and it would have been nice to see how far the right coach, with a bit of stability, could have taken him. At 29, his options are running out..
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Don't want him or is it that the money for a high level fly half is not there or at least clubs are unwilling to spend the money that would be needed to keep him from going to Japan.

I am sure he knows he is not on the radar for international call ups any more but he will still command a significant salary and must be frustrated to be being held out of the starting line up at Bath by Priestland. There again Bath seemed a confused side at present.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Coleshillad wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:39 am
WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:10 pm

Whitecap Tiger, I think you are right. For what its worth, I think, at different times, he could have been managed better. I don't think we've seen the best of him, and it would have been nice to see how far the right coach, with a bit of stability, could have taken him. At 29, his options are running out..
Didn't we just have pretty much the same posts about Guy Thompson and him (possibly) going to Ealing? All started by someone assuming "no other premiership teams wanted to sign him".
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I'm pretty sure Newcastle would have wanted Burns.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Article on Burns .Found it interesting:
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/i-want-t ... ddie-burns
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Burns shows sparks of brilliance, but that's it. Had a good run 2007-14 with a mediocre/poor Gloucester side, came to Tigers and did a good job filling in for a long time injured Williams until a better FH deal was made. Played second fiddle to a much better FH at Bath.

Apart from his time at Gloucester he was never consistent, for every silky pass there's be an interception pass or he'd decide to take the ball in himself and get isolated and turnover. I say all this with respect to Freddie, any team would benefit having him as back-up, great boot on him but as a current starting FH in the Premiership? Nope. Good luck in Japan Freddie.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

DingDong wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:47 pm Burns shows sparks of brilliance, but that's it. Had a good run 2007-14 with a mediocre/poor Gloucester side, came to Tigers and did a good job filling in for a long time injured Williams until a better FH deal was made. Played second fiddle to a much better FH at Bath.

Apart from his time at Gloucester he was never consistent, for every silky pass there's be an interception pass or he'd decide to take the ball in himself and get isolated and turnover. I say all this with respect to Freddie, any team would benefit having him as back-up, great boot on him but as a current starting FH in the Premiership? Nope. Good luck in Japan Freddie.
Preistland isnt much better than Burns imo. I'd take Freddie every day and twice on a Sunday if I had to pick.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

Scott1 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:49 pm
DingDong wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:47 pm Burns shows sparks of brilliance, but that's it. Had a good run 2007-14 with a mediocre/poor Gloucester side, came to Tigers and did a good job filling in for a long time injured Williams until a better FH deal was made. Played second fiddle to a much better FH at Bath.

Preistland isnt much better than Burns imo. I'd take Freddie every day and twice on a Sunday if I had to pick.
...not too sure you can say this and then justify the latter part of your comment!!!!!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Have you watched Preistland play?! I dont rate him at all,shocking how he has international caps
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Redstripeman wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:51 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:49 pm

...not too sure you can say this and then justify the latter part of your comment!!!!!
For most first choice players there is a second choice who is a mix of either a development project who’ll ultimately take that shirt and a quality utility player for injury/international cover. I see Freddie as that quality utility player, much like Harrison was to Young’s/White at SH. Freddie and Scott1 I’m sure would disagree, we’re all entitled to a respectful opinion!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Burns is a far more creative player than Priestland will ever be, probably more skillful as well. Problem for Freddie was that he wasn't consistent. Blackadder turned out to be a massively overrated coach who chopped and changed. After he departed Hooper came in with no plan and looked to be taking Bath down further than us until Hayley arrived and they put together a stodgy game plan which gave them a modicum of success and allowed them to get some league wins together. Priestland offers them stability and they took that to build the team around. Unless there's a big change there for next season I think they might struggle.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/i-want-t ... die-burns/

That link does suggest he had some conversations with clubs in the Prem but nothing concrete was on the table.