J. MAY ESQ.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: J. MAY ESQ.

Post by westwinds31 »

Decent player yes, but if he didn’t want to stay then fair enough. I don’t want us to keep someone who doesn’t want to be at the club. Spend his wages on a Cole replacement...tight heads are worth their weight in gold. Heard from several sources that May was a key part of a player led revolt at Glos first time around and at Tigers more recently, so maybe wish him well and adieu. Someone at Glos won’t be happy....Thorley, Zammit or Woodward ?
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

I think we should divert some of May’s salary to Olowofela’s weekly spend at the butchers.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Thanks Jonny May, it was a real pleasure to watch you play.
I wanted him to stay but realistically we cannot afford to keep paying for so many internationals who are then away so much. As yet Exeter haven’t really been affected by international call ups season after season having built success on a strong largely unaffected squad until this year and the other hugely successful club this season is Bristol; a team with very few call ups during the Autumn Internationals and Six Nations. Sale might have come into the same category if they’d have finished the season in the top 4. I cannot count Sarries as their success was built upon seeing what happened to teams like us when international call ups came then bending the salary cap to make sure the squad was ridiculously strong(but still superbly well coached).
As for Tigers.
Olowefella has the talent and some of his finishing has been superb. Hopefully he will get better. TV is World Class and Holmes can be international standard.

Thanks then Jonny, top man, world class player and all the best at Gloucester except v us!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

anz3001 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:08 pm I think we should divert some of May’s salary to Olowofela’s weekly spend at the butchers.
Not sure we have the cash spare for that, Holland and Barrett are a club sponsor, in fact the main partner, can't they get some Muscle Builder down him and use him in some before and after adverts?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:29 pm Decent player yes, but if he didn’t want to stay then fair enough. I don’t want us to keep someone who doesn’t want to be at the club. Spend his wages on a Cole replacement...tight heads are worth their weight in gold. Heard from several sources that May was a key part of a player led revolt at Glos first time around and at Tigers more recently, so maybe wish him well and adieu. Someone at Glos won’t be happy....Thorley, Zammit or Woodward ?
John Wells always said the first two players on his team sheet were his tight head and his kicker.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Who will score our tries?
In his absence we have hardly scored.

Aside from Manu we have no player capable of scoring out of nowhere with him gone.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

mol2 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:20 pm Who will score our tries?
In his absence we have hardly scored.

Aside from Manu we have no player capable of scoring out of nowhere with him gone.
Now is that down to May not being here or the fact that Ford will be gone as well due to it being England games?
Jonny May has yet to play a game at Tigers with someone other than Ford starting at 10.

In the 4 games without May in which we had Ford starting we
Scored 10 tries, 4 of them from wingers
Scored 96 points (24 points a game)
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

“ In the 4 games without May in which we had Ford starting we
Scored 10 tries, 4 of them from wingers
Scored 96 points (24 points a game)”

I think those stats say that we will manage without May. He was great to watch, but is not indispensable.
Valhalla I am coming!
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

Jonny is going, so let’s get on with it.

If it means 3 years investing in our own youth, I’ll support that.

Good as he is, Jonny isn’t a luxury we could afford.

Best wishes to him in future - absolutely no hard feelings,
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Whilst I like the idea of signing someone like Spittle, I think we have the wingers in Browning and Olowofela to step up in my opinion.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Problem with losing The Best Winger in the Works (as many pundits have labelled him) is that it's not a particularly strong position for us. Makes the Nadolo signing vital.

Holmes is a great option but could be poached by Welsh regions next time his contract is up; Thompsone is near retirement; the jury is out on Olowofela; SA-R has had a terrible injury; Hughes was short-term.

Feels patchy.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:08 am Problem with losing The Best Winger in the Works (as many pundits have labelled him) is that it's not a particularly strong position for us. Makes the Nadolo signing vital.

Holmes is a great option but could be poached by Welsh regions next time his contract is up; Thompsone is near retirement; the jury is out on Olowofela; SA-R has had a terrible injury; Hughes was short-term.

Feels patchy.
Forwards decide who wins the game, backs by how many..... Or in Leicester Tiger's heyday Back by how many.

Scoring from the wings may be pretty, but tries from driving mauls and scrums (Mr Penalty has scored a few for us in the past), not forgetting the centres, a soft spot for ages count just the same as those caught and fallen on by the glory boys.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:16 am
CrumblingTerrace wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:08 am Problem with losing The Best Winger in the Works (as many pundits have labelled him) is that it's not a particularly strong position for us. Makes the Nadolo signing vital.

Feels patchy.
Forwards decide who wins the game, backs by how many..... Or in Leicester Tiger's heyday Back by how many.

Scoring from the wings may be pretty, but tries from driving mauls and scrums (Mr Penalty has scored a few for us in the past), not forgetting the centres, a soft spot for ages count just the same as those caught and fallen on by the glory boys.
The glory boys have watered down those old classic Leicester traits of run and fight hard.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

TV can and will score more tries and is, in my opinion, our most exciting and most dangerous attacker. As I said in my earlier post, Jonny is great but in term of a team player TV is our best back after George Ford. TV too would get into most international sides.
People probably forget that TV and Olowefella were superb in setting up May’s tries v Bristol.
As for Holmes I think it unlikely the Welsh regions will be encouraged to sign Jonah as there are 3-4 wingers ahead of him in the pecking order!
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Salary caps aside, May has done well for us barring his absence on International duty.His leaving would generate more income for development.
GM and especially SB will have a young- ISH squad with a seasoned hard core of experience.
Opportunities will have to be taken for a new batch of wingers who can play in an all expansive game.