J. MAY ESQ.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Baz

J. MAY ESQ.

Post by Baz »

So, the worst has happened, and Jonny is leaving. The only rumour I've heard is of Sale's interest since they fell out with Ashton. Anyone heard differently?
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: J. MAY ESQ.

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Gloucester have confirmed on Twitter that he is re-joining them
Northenlad

Post by Northenlad »

Gutted.......
If winning isn't everything, why do they bother keeping score?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Love how people say the worst has happened..... the worst would have been Ford or Genge leaving, both of whom the club have extended staying.

Like I said before, May is a great player and our best winger. However, what more could the club have done? Beginning of the season, May says he isn’t happy with our offer and Saracens come in with big money. We sign his replacement. Then obviously the Saracens offer falls over and we offer him a deal within our salary cap. He chooses to take more money elsewhere.

Don’t buy there is sadness from both parties in him leaving. If he wanted to stay, there was an offer on the table for him to stay with the club. Other established players have taken pay cuts. At the end of the day, he’s chosen to return home. Wish him all the best.
Baz

Post by Baz »

Obviously, I meant "the worst" about Jonny May. THE worst would be the return of the black death!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:26 am Love how people say the worst has happened..... the worst would have been Ford or Genge leaving, both of whom the club have extended staying.

Like I said before, May is a great player and our best winger. However, what more could the club have done? Beginning of the season, May says he isn’t happy with our offer and Saracens come in with big money. We sign his replacement. Then obviously the Saracens offer falls over and we offer him a deal within our salary cap. He chooses to take more money elsewhere.

Don’t buy there is sadness from both parties in him leaving. If he wanted to stay, there was an offer on the table for him to stay with the club. Other established players have taken pay cuts. At the end of the day, he’s chosen to return home. Wish him all the best.
Very sensible and balanced appraisal of the situation.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Agreed.

At the end of the day we cannot keep all the existing players whilst bringing new talent in and whilst he is a great winger it is more important that we retain the services of our half backs and the likes of Genge. :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

:smt023 What Leicestertinytiger said!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

The fact is - O'Connor badly unbalanced the squad both in terms of internationals away at the same time and a severely weakened pack. I know SC and GM get bad press - and they both accept they've made mistakes - but the former has given the latter the means and opportunity to rebuild. With GM as DoR (for which he's very suited); SB as Head Coach (ditto) and McGinity managing the pathway, the squad is building in terms of quality, structure and commitment.

"Keep the Faith!"
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Wingers! Money grabbing primadonas! Harrumph.

All you do is catch the ball, run and fall over? And you want my undying support for that?
Harrumph.

What about the deserving craftsmen who go through the grunt, groan, push and shove to get you ballet dancers the ball in the first place?
You are becoming worse than Wendy ballers.
Harrumph.

In a proper team the ball wouldn't get as far as you anyway!
Harrumph.

No..... Lock down isn't going well.... Seriously, I was not a fan of the "stellar back line" theory. Especially when they all clear off come international time. A more balanced approach is required and I wouldn't see this as a sacrifice, more like common sense.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

In my opinion, we’ve just lost a player we can’t afford to lose. No great surprise that glaws have welcomed him back.
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Baz wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:37 am Obviously, I meant "the worst" about Jonny May. THE worst would be the return of the black death!
Well said Leicestertinytiger, sorry to see Jonny go but as we see Tigers are rebuilding the club from the youth and Jonny I believe had a fair offer given the climate and his international appearances.
I have enjoyed watching his time at Tigers but no one is bigger than the club's finances.
Good luck Jonny I suppose Humphries has found the cash with Owen Williams leaving Glous. on his reported £400k pa and possibly going to Japan chasing the cash again.. That gives Glous a good back line for the next season whenever!

On the subject of "The Black Death!" The way things are going the Covid-19 will unfortunately exceed that terrible plague - my thoughts go to all suffering losses and to our terrific NHS Staff..
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

When Alex T left a lot of people were all doom & gloom, we signed Goneva..

Swings & roundabouts, it's all about squad balance, personally we shouldn't of signed him in the first place as we lost a large chunk of Tigers DNA the other way.

He has been a really good player for us when available, but he is replaceable. For a lot of reasons let's hope he can play for us before he departs.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

I've been expecting this and can't blame him, must have been annoying leaving Glos' for what he thought was a stronger club only to have had to endure the last couple of seasons at the bottom. I guess he didn't want to spend another season not getting the ball with the centres Tigers have and risk the drop to The Championship. No doubt Tigers will sign another journeyman winger from somewhere and muddle on. All the best Jonny, you're making the right decision. :smt023
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

From the sounds of it he would’ve stay at tigers if they hadn’t offered the lower wage.

But that doesn’t fit into narratives I guess.