Richard Blaze

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Richard Blaze

Post by kk20gb30 »

Former Leicester forwards coach takes up similar role with Wasps as part of Lee Blackett's new backroom staff

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52227971.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: Richard Blaze

Post by johnthegriff »

Good luck to him, was a good assistant to Cocker and I was sorry to see him leave, he has never completely severed his ties with Leicester and was at Worcester with our under 18's for the finals. All the best for the future Richard.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Good luck.

He became a coach with Tigers too soon but is moving on and getting the skill as a coach to further his experience and career.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Agree on both counts.
Genuinely wish him well , however the desire to turn ex players into coaches and then remain within their old habitat can and has caused our club many difficulties.For me, time away learning your trade is initially required and then of course return only if you are good enough and the time is right for both parties.There can be and are exceptions but quite often this type of appointment does nobody any favors, making a big,easy target should things go south.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
BarmyBamford

Post by BarmyBamford »

Their gain, Red Roses loss, They may be professional compared to many of their rivals but the scrum and general performance of the pack has become superlative under Blaze.
Hope it won't affect their World Cup chances ( 2021, should be ok ? )
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

He can’t be any good as a coach cause if you start coaching at Tigers straight from playing you are an unmitigated disaster and don’t deserve the air you breathe down oval park.

Unless you are Cockers or Deano of course, that worked.

But literally no-one else

Oh apart from Pat Howard, John Wells and Boris and a few others.

But literally no one else.

(Do we like Brett Deacon yet - I can’t decide so let me know)

Anyway It’s an old boys club forever.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Blaze was a second row, broke his foot or something like that and it would not heal so he was employed by us as a line out coach. Did he ever coach more than that for us, I cant remember him being our forwards coach, but I'm old so can't remember too much? :smt017
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

LE18 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:16 pm Blaze was a second row, broke his foot or something like that and it would not heal so he was employed by us as a line out coach. Did he ever coach more than that for us, I cant remember him being our forwards coach, but I'm old so can't remember too much? :smt017
Did take on the position of Forwards coach , was replaced during Matt O'Connors second spell by (eventually) Mark Bakewell.
Fairly recent tenure.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Yes his tenure as forwards coach wasn’t very good, it’s surprising how easy people on here have forgotten how disliked he was especially for his lineout drills, yes Taf may miss a few here and there but at least we hit some this season and have a proper functioning maul to go with it.

Red Roses pack have done very well under him but women’s rugby is slightly different to the men’s but regardless I wish him good luck at Wasps.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Under Cocker & Blaze our forwards worked well, unfortunately after Cocker was sacked with former backs acting as head coach and influencing recruitment our pack went backwards with Blaze and Deacon getting the blame (unfairly in my opinion). Backs tend to be able to catch the ball (mostly) some can run quick, a few can even tackle but they know nothing of what goes on in the area that actually wins games. I look forward to Borthwick coming in as head coach and returning to a coaching format that is as it should be.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

You do bring that era up a lot JTG but if I could turn back the clock and keep AM after we won the LV Cup rather than have go through this MoC and GM horror then I would bite your hand off for it!!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:30 am Under Cocker & Blaze our forwards worked well, unfortunately after Cocker was sacked with former backs acting as head coach and influencing recruitment our pack went backwards with Blaze and Deacon getting the blame (unfairly in my opinion). Backs tend to be able to catch the ball (mostly) some can run quick, a few can even tackle but they know nothing of what goes on in the area that actually wins games. I look forward to Borthwick coming in as head coach and returning to a coaching format that is as it should be.
I remember Blaze being bemoaned a lot on these forums because our lineout didn't work that well during his tenure.

I've said it before Cockerill was a fantastic coach but got promoted to far when he became DOR. He said it himself towards the end of his time with us the job took him away from the training ground. It was no surprise that Cockers enjoyed success after he left us in roles where he was the head coach and no longer the DOR. A major failing that has hampered us for years after was that we had a DOR who was only interested in next Saturday's result and not where the club was going to be in three to five years. Head coach should all be about the next game but the DOR needs to be looking at the bigger picture.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Thanks Scott, I was beginning to think no one would bite. The LV team was coached by the assistant coaches headed by Geordan Murphy.
I really wish the chemistry between Cocker and Mage had been better, on paper it should have been an ideal partnership, unfortunately for whatever reason it just didn't work.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Haha! It didnt but I'm convinced Mauger wouldve done better than MoC and GM now. I'm also of the mind though that this GM/SB dynamic will work too.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Good luck Blazey.