The Future of the Prem

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: The Future of the Prem

Post by Scott1 »

Plus we have to realise that premiership football literally operates in a world of it's own!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Beaumont re-elected,congratulations but not what we need imo.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Scott1 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:40 pm Beaumont re-elected,congratulations but not what we need imo.
Zero surprise there. The old boy won a vote at the old boys club. World Rugby voting for Pichot would have been like Conservative MPs voting for Corbyn in the general election.

It was always clear Pichot was wasting his time, unfortunately. If change is to happen in a self-determining organisation, the desire for change needs to come from within, not from an outsider.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The WRU backed Beaumont, no surprise there. If World Rugby wants change they should stop giving the old farts brigade more votes than Tier 2 nations.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

JP14 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:56 am The WRU backed Beaumont, no surprise there. If World Rugby wants change they should stop giving the old farts brigade more votes than Tier 2 nations.
Sadly, they don't want change. Hence the entire system being set up to ensure the status quo is maintained.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Tiglon wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:01 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:40 pm Beaumont re-elected,congratulations but not what we need imo.
Zero surprise there. The old boy won a vote at the old boys club. World Rugby voting for Pichot would have been like Conservative MPs voting for Corbyn in the general election.

It was always clear Pichot was wasting his time, unfortunately. If change is to happen in a self-determining organisation, the desire for change needs to come from within, not from an outsider.
Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose
As Good As It Gets
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Just been trying to get my head around his proposals for the "new global" tournament and how it will affect the prem. Didn't like it when I read about it the first time and I still don't like it. He is suggesting a 2-month window to play the competition with one month in the north and one month in the south - I assume that there would be time to travel have to be built into this plan (2 weeks) preparation weeks/rest weeks - no idea how long but I bet it would be at least 4 weeks so a 2-month window immediately becomes over 3 months plus 6N occupying 7/8 weeks means that the international players are missing for at least 5 months of the year and that is without Lions every 4 years and world cup. - Is this looking after player workload or making money??? If this ever happens we will not have the top players to watch at WR very often during a prem season.
Hehehehehehehehe
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

trendylfj wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:17 pm Just been trying to get my head around his proposals for the "new global" tournament and how it will affect the prem. Didn't like it when I read about it the first time and I still don't like it. He is suggesting a 2-month window to play the competition with one month in the north and one month in the south - I assume that there would be time to travel have to be built into this plan (2 weeks) preparation weeks/rest weeks - no idea how long but I bet it would be at least 4 weeks so a 2-month window immediately becomes over 3 months plus 6N occupying 7/8 weeks means that the international players are missing for at least 5 months of the year and that is without Lions every 4 years and world cup. - Is this looking after player workload or making money??? If this ever happens we will not have the top players to watch at WR very often during a prem season.
Agree 100% with you.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

A mad idea that means players’ careers will be shortened due to fatigue and, which clubs will want to employ players who will miss so much of the season?
Secondly, if the clubs don’t pay the players decent salaries ( eg Manu, Itoje, Farrell, May, Ford wouldn’t get the salaries they are on now through England payments), who will they play for?
Thirdly, when injured, again look at Manu, its the clubs that look after them.
Whatever else we think about a Tigers this last two seasons you cannot fault the way they’ve looked after their players; not rushing them back. England, well, again, look at Genge last summer, injured when training with England, Tigers look after him until he is properly fit so he missed a huge chunk of the season!

Bill Beaumont has done nothing to help World or Club rugby in the past and won’t now. Will Carling would include him in the famous club he mentioned!