Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: The Future of the Prem

Post by Scott1 »

Fair enough. :smt023
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

BFG wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:41 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:32 pm I agree BFG but what about the transition from junior/colt to senior? That's losing a lot of players. Is there anything better we could do to keep more of those in rugby?
There's always more to be done but it's a social issue relevant to all sports.
Youngsters gain new interests and move on.
Before we lost him, my father told me that he had been selected to play hooker for Tigers in his youth, which would have been around the late 1940's. He didn't pursue it and when, incredulous, I asked why he said he met my mum. I guess I should be grateful. Obviously, I'm already proud.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

loretta wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:57 am
BFG wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:41 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:32 pm I agree BFG but what about the transition from junior/colt to senior? That's losing a lot of players. Is there anything better we could do to keep more of those in rugby?
There's always more to be done but it's a social issue relevant to all sports.
Youngsters gain new interests and move on.
Before we lost him, my father told me that he had been selected to play hooker for Tigers in his youth, which would have been around the late 1940's. He didn't pursue it and when, incredulous, I asked why he said he met my mum. I guess I should be grateful. Obviously, I'm already proud.
It was a different era, wasn't it?

My late father played for Tigers - also post war so may well have known your Dad - but stopped rugby when my sister and I came along! My aunt's father - Harry Greenlees - was our fly-half who played 153 games for Tigers + 6 games for Scotland.He was selected for the 1930 Lions tour to NZ and Aus but decided he was too busy to take time from the family business!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

It'll be interesting to see how the game might change with social distancing.
Gyms are closed, training will need to change to more outdoor methods and I expect it to continue for quite a while.
Will we see bulk become less important and a slow return to the days where props had a rugby playing brain as good as G. Ford, of which there used to be plenty!?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

BFG wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:04 pm It'll be interesting to see how the game might change with social distancing.
Gyms are closed, training will need to change to more outdoor methods and I expect it to continue for quite a while.
Will we see bulk become less important and a slow return to the days where props had a rugby playing brain as good as G. Ford, of which there used to be plenty!?
Neil Back certainly thinks players will come back fitter after the lockdown period. I’m unsure, as someone who went to the gym cardio wise I have been able to keep more or less fit but strength wise that’s not the case.

I agree that players could be fitter, but I can foresee massive differences in strengths of especially front-rowers as unfortunately unlike Tom Youngs or Daniel Thomas of the Bristol Bears not everyone can practise heavy-lifting a cow.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

JP14 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:23 pm
BFG wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:04 pm It'll be interesting to see how the game might change with social distancing.
Neil Back certainly thinks players will come back fitter after the lockdown period. I’m unsure, as someone who went to the gym cardio wise I have been able to keep more or less fit but strength wise that’s not the case.

I agree that players could be fitter, but I can foresee massive differences in strengths of especially front-rowers as unfortunately unlike Tom Youngs or Daniel Thomas of the Bristol Bears not everyone can practise heavy-lifting a cow.
Interesting also EJ saying the future is in hybrid players- smells of Greenwood's Total Rugby to me.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
watsonjm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by watsonjm »

This needs to become majority rules. The unanimous agreement rule is why nothing ever changes
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

I wouldn't like my pay being cut by c.22% just because other companies are being run badly. Requiring unanimity for certain decisions, such as a forced pay cut, is fine by me.

There is no compulsion to spend the cap. If teams need to tighten their belts then they should do so and let the teams that can afford the current level spend to it. If Exeter win the league for a few years then good on them for reaping the rewards of sensible governance and growing their club instead of shrinking it. The games are decided by on the field not a spreadsheet in any case.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

watsonjm wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:19 am
This needs to become majority rules. The unanimous agreement rule is why nothing ever changes
Agreed.

Exeter - Only club to make a profit and top of the tree so why would they want anything to change.
Bristol - On an upward curve, seemingly signing a lot of big names, questionable business model with the way they get around the balance sheet.
Bath - Bruce Craigs play thing, if other clubs are struggling he wont care.

But what do we expect when World Rugby still allow the home nations 3 votes each to any emerging nations 1. Time for change but how can you effect change when those that hold the power dont want it.

Even down to Championship club owners, national league owners and those trying to run community clubs, its everyone for themselves and nothing short of the Wild West.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

The west country cartel? How times are changing.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:23 pm

I'm certain Tom Youngs does not have any cows in his back garden. He's living in his main home, not his second home.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Ah okay, well my point is still valid.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TY can practice deadlifting his car :smt005
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »