Ticket Refunds

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Ticket Refunds

Post by anz3001 »

I personally don’t care what anyone else does, I’ll do what sits right with me. I’ll be asking for the credit.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

sk 88 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:37 pm Regarding the wealth of the major shareholders.

Peter Tom is worth £85m
The Murphy bros and family are worth £650m
David Abell £66m
David Wilson £540m
John Bloor £1.2bn

All figures from the Leicester Mercury richlist
I can't find a recent figure for Tom Scott, in 2003 I can see his father valued at £120m, but let's put it this way: He wanted £27m for his stake in Tigers less than a year ago. Along with John Wallace, who I can find out hardly anything at all, they are the top 7 shareholders in the club.

I think a combined donation to match what the normal supporters combined donation ends up being, probably around the £600k mark in total, is a perfectly reasonable idea.
So by the maxim that all members are shareholders you’re argument is that any member with millions in their account should match any donations.
Don’t you look at the clubs financial records, do you think these gentlemen actually make any money out of the club or that they just invest time and money in their passion.
A lot of wealthy men are self made and have worked far harder than the rest of us could possibly imagine.

Green eyed monster peeking its head up here.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

anz3001 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:43 pm I personally don’t care what anyone else does, I’ll do what sits right with me. I’ll be asking for the credit.
And that’s the right attitude, and no one should be judged for making their own free choice
moorsman1
Tiger Cub

Post by moorsman1 »

I've thought about this and began to think of the number of games I'd miss through either closed door matches/cancellations etc Then I stopped thinking about it after determining to DONATE - and I know I'm fortunate to be a position where I won't miss the £20 monthly debit towards my season ticket. Then I watched the LTTV interview with Dosser Smith this afternoon and I remembered going to the 1993 cup final and remembered seeing that group of players develop as I had seen the previous group of players pass on their shirts. Then, as Dosser continued to talk about his attachment to the club, I knew that I had made the right decision. There's something about the Tigers that 'you can't touch, you can't taste... but you feel it'. If you haven't watched Dosser's interview I would recommend going to the last 10 minutes - outstanding sentiments.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

We have been season ticket holders for nearly 40 years and hope to be season ticket holders for quite a few more seasons, health permitting so will not take the option of a refund. Since I was about 9 I’ve supported the club and want “my club”to be around for future generations. If I was wealthier I’d make a donation too but I’m retired.
Each person has to do what they think is best for them.
Hopefully, like Bristol Bears, some very wealthy supporter might be able to help our club.
Good luck to all at Tigers and it will be a shame to hear redundancies have had to be made.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:30 pm
sk 88 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:51 pm One thing that could be great motivator for people wavering is if Peter Tom and/or Tom Scott committed to matching any donation made by the fans. We're more than happy to put our hands into out pocket to help, if they do the same we'll be in a very strong position!
Why would you expect them to do that. Certainly Peter Tom puts in a huge amount of unpaid work in for the club.
+1 :smt023
As Good As It Gets
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

I tend to think I paid my money to support the club in putting on rugby matches for me to enjoy. As we are now I think I am happy to still pay to support the club....I'm just not getting the rugby, but I want there to be rugby in the future.
As Good As It Gets
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I don't think we should be saying what we intend to do about refunds, everybody has a right to make their own decision in confidence. I go onto another Tigers message board and when this matter was discussed a few weeks ago some people thought that those willing to donate were making themselves out to be better supporters than those wanting or needing a return others felt they were being pressured to donate. Their viewpoint was not one that had occurred to me but I do understand it so I think all our decisions should remain undisclosed, similarly I don't think we have the right to know what individual share holders or Directors decide to do, that is their business not ours.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Every season ticket holder needs to make the decision that is right for them and should not be pressured or influenced by others decisions. People are on reduced salaries, furlough and may even have lost their jobs as a result of this pandemic. Everybodies circumstances are different and outgoings may include loan repayments, mortgages, childcare fees etc where the money is needed, so please make your decision and leave others to make theirs. The club have laid out some options, which would appear to be very fair, and need to be responded to by all.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:58 pm
sk 88 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:37 pm Regarding the wealth of the major shareholders.

Peter Tom is worth £85m
The Murphy bros and family are worth £650m
David Abell £66m
David Wilson £540m
John Bloor £1.2bn

All figures from the Leicester Mercury richlist
I can't find a recent figure for Tom Scott, in 2003 I can see his father valued at £120m, but let's put it this way: He wanted £27m for his stake in Tigers less than a year ago. Along with John Wallace, who I can find out hardly anything at all, they are the top 7 shareholders in the club.

I think a combined donation to match what the normal supporters combined donation ends up being, probably around the £600k mark in total, is a perfectly reasonable idea.
So by the maxim that all members are shareholders you’re argument is that any member with millions in their account should match any donations.
Don’t you look at the clubs financial records, do you think these gentlemen actually make any money out of the club or that they just invest time and money in their passion.
A lot of wealthy men are self made and have worked far harder than the rest of us could possibly imagine.

Green eyed monster peeking its head up here.
The major shareholders are different to members though. It is literally their company.

I look at the finances very closely. I cannot see where I have even suggested they have taken any wage or anything out? Which is why I think them matching the fans generosity would be a great move for them. They can easily afford it and after all, they are the ones with the assets in the game not us.

They want the fans to donate and I am more than happy to do so. Why aren't they?

I think it is fair to say you have the wrong end of the stick and know nothing about me.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Surely any 'choice' based on personal circumstances ......
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

sk 88 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:27 pm
They want the fans to donate and I am more than happy to do so. Why aren't they?
How do you now that they aren't?

We are being given the choice of what to do and, as has been said before throughout this thread, it's an entirely personal decision. But we don't have to publicise our decision. I made my mind up weeks ago because I was expecting something like this, I discussed it with friends and we are all of a mind, and as someone else here said, it sits well with me. But I don't feel any desperate urge to tell the world about it.

The major share-holders have a vested interest in the club, obviously. Therefore, I would expect they are doing plenty behind the scenes to help get us through this, financially or otherwise. Or maybe they're not? Either way, I don't expect to read all about.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I'm pretty sure Sk88's issues were addressed by Peter Tom in the interview on Wednesday :smt017
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

loretta wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:44 am
sk 88 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:27 pm
How do you now that they aren't?

We are being given the choice of what to do and, as has been said before throughout this thread, it's an entirely personal decision. But we don't have to publicise our decision. I made my mind up weeks ago because I was expecting something like this, I discussed it with friends and we are all of a mind, and as someone else here said, it sits well with me. But I don't feel any desperate urge to tell the world about it.

The major share-holders have a vested interest in the club, obviously. Therefore, I would expect they are doing plenty behind the scenes to help get us through this, financially or otherwise. Or maybe they're not? Either way, I don't expect to read all about.
+1 :smt023
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
bageo
Tiger Cub

Post by bageo »

The only other option the major shareholders could consider is that people could opt to convert their refunds into shares in the club.