Thanks Guy and Sione

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks Guy and Sione

Post by Ian Cant »

A huge thank you to Thompson and Kalamafoni: both players gave their all for the shirt and will be missed.
I was at Newcastle and will, as I’m sure all Tigers’ fans won’t, forget Guy’s heroic effort that night.
I’ve also heard Johnny May is leaving but hope somehow he stays.

In the meantime; “Thanks to The Real Heroes, all NHS staff, shopworkers, refuse collectors, lorry drivers and staff at such charities as The RSPCA.”

Keep well, keep the optimism and may we beat this dam virus.

I’m not political but get well everyone including Boris.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Thanks Guy and Sione

Post by Scott1 »

Big losses! We would be in the Championship without Guy and George and Kalamafoni was our Chris Robshaw, our glue. Always a high tackle and carry count week in week out,super consistent! Good luck to both!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:46 pm Big losses! We would be in the Championship without Guy and George and Kalamafoni was our Chris Robshaw, our glue. Always a high tackle and carry count week in week out,super consistent! Good luck to both!
Can agree wholeheartedly with this ...
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
ashleytiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by ashleytiger »

Best wishes for the future guys

Sad to see them both leave, but as a professional sport, rugby can be a brutally short career at the top.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Hope they both read this thread and understand how many of us are disappointed that they are leaving and cannot really understand why. Both have been superb for this club everytime they have taken the field and unless there is a medical or salary cap reason why they are being let go, I cannot agree with this decision. I wish them both well and thank them for their efforts
Hehehehehehehehe
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

It's probably with an eye to the future given their ages and possibly injury record too.

The salary cap really leaves little room for sentiment and the coaching team have to spread that money to give best cover. We seemed to play both at 8 which probably was neither's favourite position. Guy didn't feel he was big enough to play 8 and doing so may well have contributed to his injuries which have limited his playing time at Tigers.

Both are good players who always give the impression of playing flat out and I would like to thank them both for their efforts in the Tigers shirt.
Last edited by mol2 on Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Both these players gave 100% every time they took the field and you can ask no more. Hope we get the chance to wish them fair well . :smt016
A2O
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Thanks Guy you saved us from promotion!

And to Kalamafoni you might not have played at your preferred position of 6 enough but you carried the ball to the cows came home and you have been my favourite player these last three seasons. Who could forget your tries versus Bath, your bump-off on Piers O’Conor or your kick-pass to Jonny May versus Castres?

Wish you the best of luck in your futures fellas.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

ay2oh wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:01 am Both these players gave 100% every time they took the field and you can ask no more. Hope we get the chance to wish them fair well . :smt016
Absolutely agree on this.
Many a player from many a club will leave without the herald or farewell they deserve.These two players especially have given everything and they deserve our appreciation and thanks.
A very well titled and apt thread.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

trendylfj wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:21 am Hope they both read this thread and understand how many of us are disappointed that they are leaving and cannot really understand why. Both have been superb for this club everytime they have taken the field and unless there is a medical or salary cap reason why they are being let go, I cannot agree with this decision. I wish them both well and thank them for their efforts
So you say many can’t understand why, then state 2 of the reasons plus their age why they are leaving. :smt017
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Very succinct piece on Guy Thompson , BBC Sport:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52189109