Club World Cup

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fleabane
Super User
Super User

Re: Club World Cup

Post by fleabane »

biffer wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:57 am Terrible, terrible idea. Just another desperate attempt by SH nations to access NH money. No travelling fans, no prime time broadcasts for away games (so TV deal won't be great).

Really, really dumb idea thought up by the same idiots who have made a dog's breakfast of Super Rugby.
Not an SH idea!

It’s dear old Bernard Laporte’s bright idea. He claims that the European competitions do not make enough money to plough back into the game to support lower tier nations. His scheme is effectively a World Rugby money grab.

Let’s hope Beaumont gets re-elected, and that Laporte doesn’t beat him! I suspect that the Lions tours will be next on the list.

The scheme clearly doesn’t consider the majority of fans, who cannot afford to travel to far flung places, but can manage a day or two across the channel.

(Scott 1: go and have a quiet lie down. You’re over excited, and it’s affecting your judgement).
Valhalla I am coming!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

fleabane wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:11 pm
biffer wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:57 am Terrible, terrible idea. Just another desperate attempt by SH nations to access NH money. No travelling fans, no prime time broadcasts for away games (so TV deal won't be great).

Really, really dumb idea thought up by the same idiots who have made a dog's breakfast of Super Rugby.
Not an SH idea!

It’s dear old Bernard Laporte’s bright idea. He claims that the European competitions do not make enough money to plough back into the game to support lower tier nations. His scheme is effectively a World Rugby money grab.

Let’s hope Beaumont gets re-elected, and that Laporte doesn’t beat him! I suspect that the Lions tours will be next on the list.

The scheme clearly doesn’t consider the majority of fans, who cannot afford to travel to far flung places, but can manage a day or two across the channel.

(Scott 1: go and have a quiet lie down. You’re over excited, and it’s affecting your judgement).
Entitled to feel how I feel and I love the idea!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

A great mode on Rugby 20 but in real-life I don't think it's sustainable. It's hard to see how the European games could make more money, perhaps televise the Challenge Cup more?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:40 am Dont we already have domestic games at HQ anyway? And its just taking the place of RCC. Might be a better idea to make it 16 teams and the SR season isn't effected as much but ways around it. I expect most of the people writing it off are the test cricket fans who didnt fancy 20/20. Probably not the best analogy but the game has evolved and will continue to do so I'm afraid.

In turn, I would guess that you don’t travel to away games much, only watching on tv.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

BFG wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:54 pm Good luck to whoever gets the bill for travel, accommodation and other expenses for this competition!
Can I have the airmiles please?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Big Jim and Goodey disagree with it, I don't usually agree with everything they say but in this instance I believe they're more or less spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7rWl7TMJ6s
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

biffer wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:42 am
Scott1 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:40 am Dont we already have domestic games at HQ anyway? And its just taking the place of RCC. Might be a better idea to make it 16 teams and the SR season isn't effected as much but ways around it. I expect most of the people writing it off are the test cricket fans who didnt fancy 20/20. Probably not the best analogy but the game has evolved and will continue to do so I'm afraid.

In turn, I would guess that you don’t travel to away games much, only watching on tv.
You did see the bit where there were 3 other GP teams,4 PRO14 teams and 4 Top14 teams didnt you and you guessed wrong!!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer