Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Club World Cup

Post by ourla »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... ompetition
The Club World Cup, part of their manifesto before the World Rugby elections next month, would involve four pools of five teams, made up of four from the Premiership, the Pro14 and the Top14, six from Super Rugby and one each from the USA and Japan. The tournament would take place over six weeks – every year except for World Cup years – and would be introduced at the expense of the Champions Cup, which Laporte believes does not make enough money.
Me no likee!

What I don't get is why if the Champions up doesn't make enough money, why this new competition will...?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Club World Cup

Post by Scott1 »

Love the idea of this! Always wanted to put an end to the European v SR club argument. Imagine Crusaders v Sarries,Toulouse v Hurricanes,Leinster v Chiefs,Exeter v Jaguares wowzers!!!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Shame we wouldnt get anywhere near it if it did take off!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

So what other competition have they devised for the other teams who do not qualify?? A lot of travelling as I assume that the 6 from super rugby, USA and the Japanese wil split across the 4 pools - super rugby will have 9 teams left - can't imagine them wanting to travel too far for a mickey mouse competition - will need to see much more detail before it will excite me
Hehehehehehehehe
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Good luck to whoever gets the bill for travel, accommodation and other expenses for this competition!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:37 pm Shame we wouldnt get anywhere near it if it did take off!
Love the positivity!

No need for a tournament, just a one off game as per RL, alternate North/South.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

In principle sounds a great concept, but lots of obstacles to overcome before it see the light of day.Still as always money talks in the end.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Fans love European Rugby and they travel to France, Italy Ireland etc, further afield will be beyond the budget of most. Stop Lions tours as fans that save to travel every couple of years to follow them and also go to the World Cup are unlikely to afford extra travelling every year. Then of course there will be the season changes so that North and South Hemispheres are playing at the same time.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I thought saw that this would taking place every four years at the expense of the two European competitions. Maybe I misread.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Terrible, terrible idea. Just another desperate attempt by SH nations to access NH money. No travelling fans, no prime time broadcasts for away games (so TV deal won't be great).

Really, really dumb idea thought up by the same idiots who have made a dog's breakfast of Super Rugby.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The more I'm thinking of this the more I'm liking it! Some of the big games could be done over here at HQ,they would sell out no doubt. Could be a shot in the arm rugby will need after we get through this horrible virus. Who doesn't want to see the best v the best?!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Kolbeco Steelers
Seattle Seawolves
Exeter
Sarries
Saints
Sale
Clermont
Toulon
Toulouse
R92
Saders
Canes
Bulls
Jaguares
Brumbies
Chiefs
Leinster
Munster
Glasgow
Scarlett

Sign me up NOW!!!!!!!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Scott you say it all, " some of the big games to be played at H.Q. " another nail in the coffin of club rugby. Our game traditionally is played September through to May. Alterations have already been made to overlap our season with the Southern Hemisphere and to enable this competition I foresee further adjustments being made. I see no problem in a one off game with the European Champions playing the Champions of the Southern Hemisphere bu a multi team competition will not disrupt the international games it will be the various domestic home leagues that will suffer whilst the various national unions will benefit.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dont we already have domestic games at HQ anyway? And its just taking the place of RCC. Might be a better idea to make it 16 teams and the SR season isn't effected as much but ways around it. I expect most of the people writing it off are the test cricket fans who didnt fancy 20/20. Probably not the best analogy but the game has evolved and will continue to do so I'm afraid.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Yes the Seawolves won the MLR last season, but I think San Diego or RUNY based on this year’s iteration of the MLR would be more competitive.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni