Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

A future back-row

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Our back-row is changing.

Kalamafoni and Thompson look to be leaving and Boladau is only on loan.

Gough, Lavin and Smith are all being promoted to the senior squad.

Has anybody watched these three young players enough to say whether they think they're ready to challenge for the first XV, or do we expect them to be on the fringes?
BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: A future back-row

Post by BFG »

No one has stormed it like Jack Willis or Ben Earl or Sam Simmonds BUT at the same time developing youngsters do need to play otherwise no one learns anything.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:58 am Gough, Lavin and Smith are all being promoted to the senior squad.

Has anybody watched these three young players enough to say whether they think they're ready to challenge for the first XV, or do we expect them to be on the fringes?
Seconded. I haven’t seen much of them, what kind of players are they and what’re their strengths?
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

All decent players but not yet ready to challenge for first team on a regular basis. Probably will be played in Premier cup games etc. Tom Smith possibly nearest to promotion but in my opinion needs to acquire some extra bulk. I think they all have a serious chance of making the step up but they need time and games.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

No6_Flanker wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:49 pm
CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:58 am Gough, Lavin and Smith are all being promoted to the senior squad.

Seconded. I haven’t seen much of them, what kind of players are they and what’re their strengths?
Thom Smith is a number 8, good ball carrier and good work rate in defence. I believe he skippered the A-team at points this season but not certain on that. Seems a natural on pitch leader.

Taylor Gough started out as an openside but has played across the row. Big hitter in the tackle.

Henri Lavin looks like he's developing into an out and out 7 with good link skills. He's quick for a flanker and good at the breakdown. I've often thought he could have a future in Sevens.

If Sam Eveleigh keeps progressing he could leapfrog Gough and Lavin as opensides. He's very good over the ball and seems a naturally good judge of when to attack the breakdown. Sam's the year group below Gough, Lavin and Smith.

There is also the very impressive blindside Emeka Illione who seems destined for a development contract next season. Also rumours that former Scotland and now England age grade back row Ben Muncaster has a development contract as well. Kit Smith was the third in that very strong U18 back row from this years school leavers, he's a physical openside who dominates collisions. Jordan Tebbatt can consider himself unlucky, in other years he may have got a development contract.

I really hope that we start seeing these guys filling out squad places. It's the most cost effective way of adding depth by far. It's also nice seeing these young men kick on having followed their progress from a young age with Tigers.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I am too of the opinion, Smith needs extra bulk but he is an out-and-out 8. Unsure on the other two, Lavin had a nasty injury this season which I believe was season-ending. Illione is definitely one for the future.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Thom Smith needs extra bulk to be an out and out number 8 at senior level but if picked alongside Liebenberg and Taufua he's big enough for mens rugby. All about how we work these young players into the senior side.

6.Lewis 7.Taufua 8.Liebenberg will almost certainly see more out of Sam Lewis than 6.Lewis 7.Coghlan 8.Boladau will.

I'm optimistic about the improvements in the first choice pack. Taufua, Lavanini and Liebenberg are very good players. Mamukashvili is an astute signing. Brink will add to that if he gets fully fit.

Next step from upgrading the starters is improving rotation of them and integrating younger players into experienced sides. That's what the best clubs in the Prem do consistently well.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Illione seems like the biggest back row prospect in the academy, like a combination of Croft and Itoje. Muncaster looked really good for Scotland U18's when I saw one of his games with them too
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

The only real way to find out is to play them in the Premiership. Hopefully Borthwick/Murphy will drip feed them into suitable games at the right time. Development games are always a mix of senior/dev/academy which is only a taste, facing a whole senior squad is another matter entirely. Good luck to all three.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Gough, Lavin and Smith all got a taste of Championship rugby last season. Hopefully that's helped then atune to senior rugby a bit.

Not seen a lot of then but from what I've seen Thom Smith looks a very aggressive and physical number 8, I agree with other comments suggesting he'll need some extra weight but as he's hit 20 now that should come on now.

Lavin reminds me of Thompson a little bit, likes an offload and quite quick off the mark, looked good in the sevens last season. Competes for everything. From memory quite tall and I think he played a game in the row on loan at Yorkshire this season, might not say much as Yorkshire are a real mess at the minute.

Gough, as already said likes a big tackle and to get over the ball. He didn't impress as much as I thought in the 7s but has had some good write ups from A league games.