Saracens - The Road to Ruin

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fleabane
Super User
Super User

Saracens - The Road to Ruin

Post by fleabane »

Today’s Sunday Times Sport supplément, if you can get a copy.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/how- ... 9c872d0e25
Valhalla I am coming!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Saracens - The Road to Ruin

Post by JP14 »

Interesting read, for me the question it has failed to ask does Wray have the money to keep Saracens afloat?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Good point raised about the du Preez brothers at Sale, I can't seem to find out who is their marquee players at the moment but let's say its Jean-Luc du Preez (who is probably the higher rated of the three brothers) meaning he could be paid (theoretically) 800,000 and his two brothers at a really low price to get around the salary cap but ensure they all get a substantial pay check. This is Henry VII level finance!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:11 am Good point raised about the du Preez brothers at Sale, I can't seem to find out who is their marquee players at the moment but let's say its Jean-Luc du Preez (who is probably the higher rated of the three brothers) meaning he could be paid (theoretically) 800,000 and his two brothers at a really low price to get around the salary cap but ensure they all get a substantial pay check. This is Henry VII level finance!
I would image their marquee players may include De Klerk and De Jäger
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Saracens got caught - twice over as it happens ; but I dont honestly believe that they are the only club playing with and 'adjusting' figures to suit their own purposes.Squad size , depth and quality pose many interesting questions in some places and there could be many an exec looking nervously over his/her shoulder.
The ongoing health crisis has revealed the foundations of the (not just ) the club game to be built on sand ,and winning means so much.How far will some go ? How far and literally at what cost ?
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Sale have a small squad, especially in the backs, which will help considerably.

Bristol often get questioned but again their squad is a case of a handful of expensive players with a lot of value. Radrada, Piutau, Luatua, Hughes and Sinckler will all be on big money next season. After that the next highest paid will be the likes of Afoa (36 years old), Attwood, Thacker or Morahan. They are also losing the significant wages of Madigan and Craner as well, who Brizz knowingly overpaid for when needing experience in specific positions. 5 high paid players, with a lot of value.

As opposed to Sarries who have Mako, George, Koch, Kruis, Itoje, Skelton, Billy, Farrell, Daly, Maitland, Williams and Goode in the big boys bracket along with Singleton, Lamositele, Figallo, Wigglesworth, Spencer and Taylor who last signed whilst internationals. (Carre signed prior to being capped, Earl and Isiekwe are first contracts out of the academy).
What they created was an extraordinary sporting jigsaw; put together piece by piece to create something complex and yet simple. They nurtured and hired the best players. That was simple. They created a culture where star players accepted the team was greater than them. And that was anything but simple.
That's a well written paragraph. The environment they have built is outstanding and one the senior players clearly love. It's unavoidable for anyone who's played or worked in sport to know how much easier it is to build a culture whilst winning though. Which their cheating the cap clearly helped with.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:36 am
JP14 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:11 am Good point raised about the du Preez brothers at Sale, I can't seem to find out who is their marquee players at the moment but let's say its Jean-Luc du Preez (who is probably the higher rated of the three brothers) meaning he could be paid (theoretically) 800,000 and his two brothers at a really low price to get around the salary cap but ensure they all get a substantial pay check. This is Henry VII level finance!
I would image their marquee players may include De Klerk and De Jäger
Possibly, it would be helpful for the club to list their two marquee players as such.