Who’s your pick for Lions 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Who’s your pick for Lions 2021

Post by Mark62 »

Agree with you JP, we all need something positive at the moment, and for us sports fans that is live sport.

However looking at the big picture, the fact that putting a lions tour together is an expensive and time consuming task, the rugby world has bigger things to look at and pay for at the moment.

Taking that into account, and the fact that no lions fan, and they are a huge part of any tour, is not going to be spending thousands of pounds to follow the tour, when the travel industry is in tatters and people are already having great difficulty getting money back.
Lastly from what I can gather the situation regarding the pandemic in Africa isn’t clear, and people fear it could be much more severe than currently reported.

Don’t be surprised if the Lions of 21 become the Lions of 22
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I have faith that the travel industry could recover by this time next year.

I also believe that the current figures from South Africa are being reportedly accurately, I suppose one issue could be there isn't enough testing in the shanty towns. In regards to the article, they say that the unions want the tour postponed so that they could get all their matches in, but I can't see the problem in hosting games whilst the tour is on, I know there's the Olympics too but I'm sure for some reason the Irish might be more focused on the rugby :smt002.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 1:33 pm I have faith that the travel industry could recover by this time next year.

I also believe that the current figures from South Africa are being reportedly accurately, I suppose one issue could be there isn't enough testing in the shanty towns. In regards to the article, they say that the unions want the tour postponed so that they could get all their matches in, but I can't see the problem in hosting games whilst the tour is on, I know there's the Olympics too but I'm sure for some reason the Irish might be more focused on the rugby :smt002.
The travel industry will never recover to its levels pre virus, and would you risk £3k plus spending money on a tour that may not happen.
The issue about the level of testing is exactly the issue and not just in South Africa, it is at the tip of a huge continent with many of its neighbours impoverished and the issues all that brings.
As for the Irish I think you maybe need to get small reality check and realise that in the grand scheme of things the Olympics is the biggest sporting event on the planet and completely trumps a rugby tour. That being said no reason why both couldn’t take place.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 1:45 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 1:33 pm I have faith that the travel industry could recover by this time next year.

The travel industry will never recover to its levels pre virus, and would you risk £3k plus spending money on a tour that may not happen.
The issue about the level of testing is exactly the issue and not just in South Africa, it is at the tip of a huge continent with many of its neighbours impoverished and the issues all that brings.
As for the Irish I think you maybe need to get small reality check and realise that in the grand scheme of things the Olympics is the biggest sporting event on the planet and completely trumps a rugby tour. That being said no reason why both couldn’t take place.
The Irish thing was a lighthearted joke that they wouldn't win anything.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Genuinely believe that as time has passed in this health crisis, Rugby as a whole has shown how impoverished it is as a sport. There is more than a possibility that the Lions tour of 2021 simply will not happen.At best we can expect a delay.The quick financial fix for the home countries is to keep playing on these shores with everything in terms of potential fixtures shunted backwards.Thus the re-scheduled 6 Nations , the rescheduled November (??) internationals featuring respective tours to the UK and Ireland will all take preference as apparently the Home unions can make up to four times the sums by playing on home soil that they could make on a Lions tour.Add to this continued questions re. both health and travel and it is not an easy timetable and journey in any respect
Money talks.Will be interesting.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

POC talking up Itoje for Lions captain, he knows fully well from experience that AWJ wont cut it in SA.
POC=Paul OConnell
AWJ=Alun Wynne Jones
SA=South Africa
😜
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

...could possibly be more a case of knowing that Itoje will.
Lions first choice second row pairing (for me) on form, right now is Itoje and Ryan.No axe to grind with Alun Wynne Jones.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Itoje has captained for Saracens but I’m not sure as to whether he has captained them in big Prem/European games.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Lions tour could be relocated to the autumn of 2021 to accommodate the reshuffling of the global calendar is the word on the street, I wouldn’t mind that too much. Let’s not forget the Women’s World Cup that’s being held in the same summer.

https://twitter.com/chrisjonespress/sta ... 69570?s=21
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

JP14 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:57 am Itoje has captained for Saracens but I’m not sure as to whether he has captained them in big Prem/European games.
Having captained England U20s in 2013-14 he was considered a certainty for further leadership roles. I for one think Eddie Jones missed a trick by giving the "armband" to Farrell and not Itoje but at least he abandoned his Co-Captain affectation.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Longshanks wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:42 am
JP14 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:57 am Itoje has captained for Saracens but I’m not sure as to whether he has captained them in big Prem/European games.
Having captained England U20s in 2013-14 he was considered a certainty for further leadership roles. I for one think Eddie Jones missed a trick by giving the "armband" to Farrell and not Itoje but at least he abandoned his Co-Captain affectation.
There are 2 reasons why Gatland would NEVER pick Itoje as Lions captain

1, He is not Welsh
2. His initials are not AWJ
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Watching the 2nd Lions test versus the Boks in 2009 on Rugbypass. Wow what a test match!

For me, I know a lot has changed but the game will be won in the set piece so currently this should be the XV:

1 Genge
2 George
3 Furlong
4 Itoje (c)
5 Ryan
6 Wainwright
7 Curry
8 Navidi
9 Davies
10 Biggar
11 Stockdale
12 Tuilagi
13 Joseph
14 Watson
15 Hogg
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

NZ every time but could put up with South Africa if pushed - hehehe
Hehehehehehehehe
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

JP14 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:02 pm Watching the 2nd Lions test versus the Boks in 2009 on Rugbypass. Wow what a test match!

For me, I know a lot has changed but the game will be won in the set piece so currently this should be the XV:

1 Genge
2 George
3 Furlong
4 Itoje (c)
5 Ryan
6 Wainwright
7 Curry
8 Navidi
9 Davies
10 Biggar
11 Stockdale
12 Tuilagi
13 Joseph
14 Watson
15 Hogg
One or two contentious picks in my book but these days you have declare 23 not 15 before others can really justify any objections.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

16 McNally
17 Healy
18 Sinckler
19 Henderson
20 Underhill
21 Coooooney
22 Russell