Who’s your pick for Lions 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: Who’s your pick for Lions 2021

Post by kk20gb30 »

Away from the playing side , Lions now pick up sponsorship deal with Vodaphone :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53560873
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Am I being harsh, not really, there was a real chance we could have won in 2017 but that was wasted because of a nonexistent attacking structure and poor selection in the squad as a whole (no Ford, too many Welsh players that weren’t in form) and we dragged out a draw because of an incorrect officiating.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:43 am Am I being harsh, not really, there was a real chance we could have won in 2017 but that was wasted because of a nonexistent attacking structure and poor selection in the squad as a whole (no Ford, too many Welsh players that weren’t in form) and we dragged out a draw because of an incorrect officiating.
As well as SBW red card and poor kicking off the tee from Barrett
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:19 pm
JP14 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:43 am Am I being harsh, not really, there was a real chance we could have won in 2017 but that was wasted because of a nonexistent attacking structure and poor selection in the squad as a whole (no Ford, too many Welsh players that weren’t in form) and we dragged out a draw because of an incorrect officiating.
As well as SBW red card and poor kicking off the tee from Barrett
Yeah Barrett‘s poor kicking in the end sealed the test for the Lions, and the red card to Sonny Bill didn’t exactly help the All Blacks but from what I recall it didn’t have a huge affect on the game.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Who were the Welsh players in the original squad that shouldn't have gone in your opinion? I think Gatland has a reputation from the 2013 series of favouring Welsh players (IMO justifiably so in that series - Wales were 2011 WC semi-finalists, 2012 Six Nations grand slam and 2013 Six Nations winners and hammered Aus in the final test) which actually isn't the case. Some of the injury call ups during the 2017 tour were probably dodgy but at that stage they just needed bodies to sit on the midweek bench. His test sides are picked to win. I don't buy the opinion that NZ were there for the taking - they never are at home. You can look at every series and find excuses for winning/losing, that's just the nature of rugby.

I love the Lions for the discussion it brings out! I don't think any 2 people pick the same test side and definitely not the same squad!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Finn Russell aside, those last minute Welsh additions to the Lions squad were a joke and seriously devalued the honour of being a Lion.

To be fair a lot of the Welsh players stood up (Jonathan Davies, Liam Williams etc) but I think selecting George North who was out of form and was injured during the tour was a mistake (although I must admit the quality of wingers has increased considerably since 2017), I wouldn’t have taken Alun Whn Jones but that’s a given, I wasn’t completely sold on Warburton captaining as well but I suppose he did as well as he could.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:28 am Jim Hamilton's Lions side:

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/jim-hami ... selection/
Interesting to see Underhill preferred over Curry, I would be surprised if Marler even tours to be honest but apart from that a very decent selection.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

JP14 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:00 am

...but apart from that a very decent selection.
Surprised by the absence of Liam Williams, IMO he should be a nailed on starter. Still to be convinced by Hogg...
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

No6_Flanker wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:12 pm

...but apart from that a very decent selection.
Surprised by the absence of Liam Williams, IMO he should be a nailed on starter. Still to be convinced by Hogg...
I would have Hogg at 15 and Williams at 14.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Interesting to see Underhill preferred over Curry, I would be surprised if Marler even tours to be honest but apart from that a very decent selection.
I too would be surprised if "Little Cocky Marler" toured with the Lions but could go as a pundit. I feel Gengie may be there.
"Tunnel" is by far a better player than Curry, remember those international tackles. :smt023
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Quite rightly much has been discussed with regard to the players .How about the coaching set up ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53650788
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

If the Lions tour goes ahead I suggest we take only players in form, let's have some rugby so we can see just which players are in form. Of course if too many of them are in the Premiership those clubs may have to sacrifice titles and trophies to release players for the tour.
I am also not sure how many fans will be able to travel and return without quarantine, South Africa has its problems at present.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:34 am If the Lions tour goes ahead I suggest we take only players in form, let's have some rugby so we can see just which players are in form. Of course if too many of them are in the Premiership those clubs may have to sacrifice titles and trophies to release players for the tour.
I am also not sure how many fans will be able to travel and return without quarantine, South Africa has its problems at present.
You never know, the government may have worked out how to test at airports by then...
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Travel restrictions and finance are key factors in determining whether the tour goes to initial proposed schedule :

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/cancella ... th-africa/