Who’s your pick for Lions 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Who’s your pick for Lions 2021

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

A little window opened for Genge maybe, depending how bad Sutherland has injured himself.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Genge has got no chance imo. Even if Sutherland is out. I’d hazard a guess it will be Mako,Healy,Wyn Jones and Porter who can play both sides.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Super User
Super User

Surely Gatland isn't as blind as Eddie when it comes to Maku....?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:46 pm Surely Gatland isn't as blind as Eddie when it comes to Maku....?
He rates him,I do tbf but he’s way out of touch. and he’s not going to get sharp in the championship. What other LH are there? Healey and Wyn Jones are in the driving seat.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Healy hasn’t been playing that well in my opinion.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Duhan van der Merwe must be in with a strong chance of making the squad.
Possibly Scotland's best player.
:smt003
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I'd take Duhan Van Der Merwe on the tour with the British & Irish Lions if he was British or Irish and could tackle :smt023

I can't wait for the 5 year residency rule to come into force, assuming they don't keep delaying it...
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Like or not, van der Merwe is eligible for Lions selection. Is he needed though? Not sure, we have powerful (and in-form) backline players in George North, Henshaw, Davies plus we need wingers that can defend properly.

I think Hogg, H. Watson, Ritchie are solid bets with Jonny Gray, Huw Jones and Sutherland in contention too for Lions places. Maybe Chris Harris too, one of the best defensive centres in the Northern Hemisphere, but it depends if Gatland wants to go with a player like North at 13 instead.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I would go with:

1. Pierre Schoeman
2. Kyle Cooper
3. Oli Hoskins
4. Jean Kleyn
5. Dave Ribbans
6. Jonno Ross
7. Ruan Ackermann
8. Sione Vailanu
9. Jamison Gibson-Park
10. Jaco Van Der Walt
11. Ratu Tagive
12. Ben Meehan
13. Willis Halaholo
14. Duhan Van Der Merwe
15. James Lowe

Ok, so Meehan is out of position, but why put any British or Irish players in your XV if you don't have to?
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

No one will convince me that Russell is a starter, he's a flash merchant, either brilliant or diabolical, the Lions don't need him in a test he's a liability. :smt018

No one going for O. Farrell? :smt017 :smt022
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

LE18 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:56 pm No one will convince me that Russell is a starter, he's a flash merchant, either brilliant or diabolical, the Lions don't need him in a test he's a liability. :smt018
I 99% agree. However, if I'm taking 3 fly halves he might be there because he offers something different to the other options. I'd place my money on Biggar, Farrell and Russell. I think Sexton is the form 10, but I'm not convinced of his durability. Biggar's aerial ability will probably be a good fit for Gatland's plan, Farrell for his experience/leadership and ability to play 12, Russell as the wild card if we're in trouble and need to take a risk.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:51 pm
LE18 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:56 pm No one will convince me that Russell is a starter, he's a flash merchant, either brilliant or diabolical, the Lions don't need him in a test he's a liability. :smt018
I 99% agree. However, if I'm taking 3 fly halves he might be there because he offers something different to the other options. I'd place my money on Biggar, Farrell and Russell. I think Sexton is the form 10, but I'm not convinced of his durability. Biggar's aerial ability will probably be a good fit for Gatland's plan, Farrell for his experience/leadership and ability to play 12, Russell as the wild card if we're in trouble and need to take a risk.
I don't think we should take risks with the very physical SAs, Farrell is the most robust, not most creative, and Gatland will probably go with physicality than flair, although he is not Welsh, so probably Biggar and Farrell, no place for Russell in my view.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

I’d go something like the following with

1. Sutherland
2. Owens / George
3. furlong
4. Ryan
5. Itoje
6. Richie / Bierne
7. Curry
8. Faletau / Vunipola
9. Murray / Youngs
10. Biggar
11. May
12. Davies
13. North
14. Watson
15. Hogg

Honourable Mentions

Genge, LCD, AWJ, Tipuric, H Watson, Underhill, G Davies, Farrell, Russell, Manu, Henshaw, LRZ, L Williams

I’ve not included Ford because I don’t think he’ll get picked by Gatland and not included Sexton as I don’t think he’s quite what he was.

I’ve probably missed a few obvious names as this was off the top of my head!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I think Gatland could go
Wyn Jones
Owens
Furlong
AWJ
Itoje
Beirne
Curry
Faletau
Murray
Biggar
May
Henshaw
North
Watson
Williams

Don’t think it will be far off that but he will make a crazy call as he always does. Wouldn’t surprise me if May doesn’t travel at all. If there are any 50/50 he will always pick the Welsh player.
Super User
Super User

Sir Clive went the opposite way in 2005, that worked out well....

The Lions should always & can pick purely on form but, on recent tours that hasn't always happened.

Biggar is probably a better player than a lot of us think, his kick chase & fielding in the backfield is unparalleled & he is a reliable goal kicker, personally I might be tempted at a punt with Hogg at 10, I want him in the side but he wouldn't be my choice at 15.

As for selection criteria, there is a difference between Manu, the Vunipolas & Faletau & the Stander, Fluteys of the game, the Lions missed a trick here.