Who’s your pick for Lions 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: Who’s your pick for Lions 2021

Post by kk20gb30 »

Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Not much of a hint really, just noting that Itoje is a contender. He’s putting the pressure on him really now to perform.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It's now confirmed that the Lions tour will take place as scheduled.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

So we now need a 20/21 fixture list that will see a full season played out with European fixtures and finals completed before the Lions leave, or we need understanding club owners that will let their star players miss the end of season for a non international high intensity tour whilst their teams battle for trophies or to avoid relegation without them and knowing that these stars having played possibly continuously from August to August are unlikely to be refreshed and ready to go for the following season.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Which makes more money? Lions, they will take precedence and I'm sure following this announcement an agreement has been reached with unions, clubs etc.

In fact I wouldn't bother with the development tours for the individual nations and with the Olympics & Euros too it's unlikely they would have got much exposure.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Lions unlikely to affect Tigers massively I wouldn't of thought.

Genge, probable.

Youngs, Ford, maybe.

Reffell, bolter.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:27 pm Lions unlikely to affect Tigers massively I wouldn't of thought.

Genge, probable.

Youngs, Ford, maybe.

Reffell, bolter.
Think you’re right there with the possible Tigers contingent.
With regards to the captaincy, what’s happening in the world, touring South Africa, and the impact of Kalesi on South African rugby, Itoje ticks all the boxes. The fact that he is guaranteed a test match starting berth helps too.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:27 pm Lions unlikely to affect Tigers massively I wouldn't of thought.

Genge, probable.

Youngs, Ford, maybe.

Reffell, bolter.
Not sure if Reffell is eligible to be capped for Wales. Matt Scott maybe, though?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:04 pm

Genge, probable.

Youngs, Ford, maybe.

Reffell, bolter.
Not sure if Reffell is eligible to be capped for Wales. Matt Scott maybe, though?
Don’t have to be capped for your country to be picked for the Lions. I would need to check but I don’t think Eric Miller had been capped for Ireland before he was picked for a lions tour.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:22 pm

Genge, probable.

Youngs, Ford, maybe.

Reffell, bolter.
Don’t have to be capped for your country to be picked for the Lions. I would need to check but I don’t think Eric Miller had been capped for Ireland before he was picked for a lions tour.
Eric Miller now there was a player for Tigers...wasnt it Greenwood who was the uncapped player from Tigers that tour??
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Jason Robinson?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:09 pm
Mark62 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:22 pm

Eric Miller now there was a player for Tigers...wasnt it Greenwood who was the uncapped player from Tigers that tour??
You could well be right sir, and yes you’re right re Miller, another player who’s career was cut short
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

All of these examples are correct but in more recent times it hasn’t happened, I remember Adam Bryne of Leinster was touted as a bolter for the last two in 2017 but I think that was no more than just an outsider’s pick from a journalist.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Reffell is entitled to be picked but it would take a lot of injuries to lot of quality 7s, even just English ones for it to happen.

If you’re looking for an uncapped bolter, Jack Willis is the one, if he hasn’t been capped by then.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

:smt044 Reffell being talked about as a possible Lions tourist next year?

You lot need to calm down and manage your expectations somewhat. He's very unlikely even to be playing Champions Cup rugby before then, so he would have to have one HELL of a 12 months of Premiership performances and a whole lot of injuries to his competitors with probably 20-30 players currently ahead of him in his position.