Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Who’s your pick for Lions 2021

Post by Tigers86asw »

Scott1 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:09 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:05 pm Ryan has to of turned down the opportunity to tour, surely!?!
Be interesting to see who has once the list comes out,Gatland wouldn’t have picked a squad this poor if he wasn’t forced to surely?
Gatland said this afternoon that Ryan lost out after the La Rochelle game. May also be why Healy didn’t go as he was mullered as well. Seems harsh given servers others don’t play at a high enough club level to even be in a game of that size. He also said it was harsh on Davies.

I take the point about Harris’ defence but picking a centre purely for their defence doesn’t sit well with me.

Daly playing left wing is one thing but he will still have to be good under the high ball. May is the best all round winger in the British Isles, apart from possibly Watson. The decision not to take him but to take Daly is blinkered.

There are always those who come from nowhere to play a big role.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tigers86asw wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:41 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:05 pm Ryan has to of turned down the opportunity to tour, surely!?!
Be interesting to see who has once the list comes out,Gatland wouldn’t have picked a squad this poor if he wasn’t forced to surely?
Gatland said this afternoon that Ryan lost out after the La Rochelle game. May also be why Healy didn’t go as he was mullered as well. Seems harsh given servers others don’t play at a high enough club level to even be in a game of that size. He also said it was harsh on Davies.

I take the point about Harris’ defence but picking a centre purely for their defence doesn’t sit well with me.

Daly playing left wing is one thing but he will still have to be good under the high ball. May is the best all round winger in the British Isles, apart from possibly Watson. The decision not to take him but to take Daly is blinkered.

Guess he forgot about the Exeter v Leinster game for Simmonds
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:07 pm
Tigers86asw wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:41 pm

Guess he forgot about the Exeter v Leinster game for Simmonds
Simmonds is just a dig at Jones imo,it's something Gatland would do
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

On Simmonds one of the coaches will be proved right, it might be beneficial for England if it was Gatland & not necessarily just in Simmonds case.

As the actual selection rarely makes the tour or the 1st test unaffected it could all be academic.

Some of those contentiously left out weren't for me automatic selections, it's more who has been selected in their stead, I would guess that North & Launchbury being injured & Manu being who knows, has played a major factor in the selection.

There are 2 selections who for me shouldn't be in the squad as they are just rugby mercenaries.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:50 pm There are 2 selections who for me shouldn't be in the squad as they are just rugby mercenaries.
Agreed, one of them probably even dreamt of playing in this test series on the opposite team!
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Gatland also spoken about how being a line out option and having good footwork were important in the backrow- rules out Vunipola.

Take the point about Ryan and La Rochelle- clearly had a short memory as Ryan was excellent vs Exeter when facing a big pack.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I've looked at the last 3 tours,not in depth but will do the weekend,and I can't pick a left at home 23 anywhere near as good as this one! I mean this one is arguably better than the one that could start the first test. Does that tell us anything? Or is it just one of those things?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Sarries are the most represented club....seem to recall that not working out too well for England recently.

The selection of Daly is just an absolute joke, the guy isn't good enough for England's first XV. I also think Jonny Hill had a relatively poor 6Ns, really surprised he got the call. Similarly, I think Bundee Aki is a limited player. Jonny May and James Ryan missing out is extremely harsh.

I think it's safe to say it will be attritional.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Underhill for me is a poor one. He tackles for days and one thing the Bok will bring is brute force. Nowell has that edge needed too,another poor omission.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Scott1 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:33 pm Underhill for me is a poor one. He tackles for days and one thing the Bok will bring is brute force. Nowell has that edge needed too,another poor omission.
I agree Scott but they decided on Watson rather than Underhill which I guess is down to the six nations. Again you question the input that SB would have had if he were the coach
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Scott1 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:33 pm Underhill for me is a poor one. He tackles for days and one thing the Bok will bring is brute force. Nowell has that edge needed too,another poor omission.
Agreed, loads of people shocked Navidi wasn’t picked but for me Underhill would’ve been one of the first backrowers picked. You need that physicality against SA.

Simmonds is a win-win for England. He smashes it and forces his way into the test team. Or he’s found out to be not good enough. Either way England get their answer.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I know the Lions fixtures but does anyone have any info on SA warm up fixtures please? Surely they are not going into the first test cold
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:37 pm
Agreed, loads of people shocked Navidi wasn’t picked but for me Underhill would’ve been one of the first backrowers picked. You need that physicality against SA.

Simmonds is a win-win for England. He smashes it and forces his way into the test team. Or he’s found out to be not good enough. Either way England get their answer.
With Simmonds I really hope he does well because it may help Jones’ stubbornness. I think Simmonds is hamstrung as much by Jones’ refusal to change his tactics or his selection in midfield that is the issue. I almost think that if Simmonds was playing at centre he would be more likely to play! England lack runners to get them over the gainline outside the pack so Jones kept picking Vunipola- so short sighted.

On a separate point this selection is also highlights the long term impact of Saracens actions regarding the cap. It crippled the England team as they were so ill prepared for the six nations and therefore cost many a place on this tour. Ironic given so many Saracens players are still going yet they are not worthy of their place.

I wonder what Ford, May, Slade, Sinclair and Genge make of it all.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Great point this!

"On a separate point this selection is also highlights the long term impact of Saracens actions regarding the cap. It crippled the England team as they were so ill prepared for the six nations and therefore cost many a place on this tour. Ironic given so many Saracens players are still going yet they are not worthy of their place."
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Given that Gatland has picked a "white flag!" team I still cannot understand how Kieran Brookes and Harry Malingerer amongst others missed out ?? :smt002
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!