Who’s your pick for Lions 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Who’s your pick for Lions 2021

Post by LE18 »

Could Gatland be considering starting Farrell at 12? He is very durable and it will need lots of physicality to stand up to SA. Not saying its my choice, just a theory. Like I said earlier, I think that's why Ford missed out.
Could Daly be selected for his long range place kicking, playing on the high Velt penalties won in your own 22 could be in range? :smt017
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Coaches stand or fall by their team/squad selections and for me this touring party contains some very strange and inconsistent selections indeed.Irrespective of this however I wish the Lions the best of fortune and hope they return home victorious.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Rugby Pass : Player by Player form guide to the Lions squad .

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/player-b ... orm-guide/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Anyone else think this just highlights how poor NH rugby is these days?

England had an uninspired autumn and a dire six nations.
Wales were terrible since the World Cup, and even though they won the six nations some of their games weren't great.
Ireland haven't been at the races since 2017
Scotland look the flashier and had some good away wins, but they're still losing too many games when their at home again decent teams and are too inconsistent.

I'm shocked by a couple of picks, but overwhelmingly I'm just not excited by this group of players, or any group that would have been picked.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Scott1 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:39 pm I know the Lions fixtures but does anyone have any info on SA warm up fixtures please? Surely they are not going into the first test cold
They have fixtures against Namibia and the USA I believe.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Wish the Irish pundits would stop moaning about Sexton and Ryan. It’s not a slight against Ireland, better players were picked ahead of them. Can’t remember England going mad about Robshaw, Hartley etc
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:08 am Wish the Irish pundits would stop moaning about Sexton and Ryan. It’s not a slight against Ireland, better players were picked ahead of them. Can’t remember England going mad about Robshaw, Hartley etc
You have to remember that they both play for Leinster which dominates almost all the media focus and punditry. They only have four teams as it is so the scrutiny is very high- they also hold there players up on a pedestal. O Driscoll in 2013 springs to mind.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Trouble is for me better players are not going.

I would argue that 2017 England media was already calling for George to start over Hartley and Robshaw lost the media also.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Tigers86asw wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:26 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:08 am Wish the Irish pundits would stop moaning about Sexton and Ryan. It’s not a slight against Ireland, better players were picked ahead of them. Can’t remember England going mad about Robshaw, Hartley etc
You have to remember that they both play for Leinster which dominates almost all the media focus and punditry. They only have four teams as it is so the scrutiny is very high- they also hold there players up on a pedestal. O Driscoll in 2013 springs to mind.
Sexton isn't on the same level as he was a couple of seasons ago. And he rarely makes it through 80 mins either, and has a pretty poor injury record. I don't think the 3 10s picked are worse (or better either to be fair!) than he is.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Ryan is better than Hill in my opinion, but Gray should have been picked above both of them.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

JP14 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:10 am
Scott1 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:39 pm I know the Lions fixtures but does anyone have any info on SA warm up fixtures please? Surely they are not going into the first test cold
They have fixtures against Namibia and the USA I believe.
Thanks JP
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
DougalLG

Post by DougalLG »

This tickled me far too much to not share it

Hitler Reacts to The Lions 2021 Squad Announcement
https://v.redd.it/1ucih6mg1lx61
Long time listener, First time caller
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

DougalLG wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:13 pm This tickled me far too much to not share it

Hitler Reacts to The Lions 2021 Squad Announcement
https://v.redd.it/1ucih6mg1lx61
Brilliant! 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Never thought I could bring my self to say this but I really hope Dan Biggar looks after himself.Finn Russell for all of his talent tends to produce either jackass or jackpot performances.The lions can't afford to give anything away in what will undoubtedly be a very difficult series.