5 Greatest players by position

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: 5 Greatest players by position

Post by Scott1 »

Have to put Conrad Smith in there Mark,arguably as important as McCaw in that great Kiwi era
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:33 pm
ads wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:12 pm
Mark62 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:15 pm

Great list. One from history Willie John.
Bit controversial at this stage in his career, Maro Itoje
I'd probably have John Eales in there somewhere.
Absolutely great player. Nickname was Nobody because Nobody’s perfect
Colin 'Pinetree' Meads - an icon within New Zealand rugby who was named the country's Player of the Century at the NZRFU Awards in 1999.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Fullback - restricted to those I have actually seen play in some form or another and in no specific order..
Percy Montgomery
JPR Williams
Christian Cullen
Serg Blanco
Jason Robinson

Honorable mentions Andy Irvine , Paul Thorburn and our own W.H. Hare.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I'll add Clive Woodward to the centres.

Wings: Underwood, Lomu, Duckham

No 8 Andy Ripley
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

For me the wings have to include in no particular order
Lomu
Habana
Campese

Then any 2 from Underwood, Duckham, Gerald Davies, JJ Williams, Chester Williams, Jeff Wilson, Sir John Kirwin and at his peak Julian Savea
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Whilst Savea is the closest thing we have had to Lomu he hasn’t been consistent, if Ben Cohen had been more consistent he would be a good shout for wingers too.

Underwood, Campese, Habana and Lomu all contenders for wingers, I reckon Jonny May deserves a shout.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:27 am Whilst Savea is the closest thing we have had to Lomu he hasn’t been consistent, if Ben Cohen had been more consistent he would be a good shout for wingers too.

Underwood, Campese, Habana and Lomu all contenders for wingers, I reckon Jonny May deserves a shout.
I think Savea is a really interesting one. He scored 46 trys in 54 test matches, .85 trys a match which for test match rugby is truly remarkable.
For some reason his test career dropped off a cliff, but he is only 30 this year.
Imagine if he had kept his form and maintained that average over 100 tests, scoring 85 trys, which would surely have marked him as the best ever.

To put that in perspective Jonah Lomu scored 37 tries in 64 tests which is an average of .58
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:25 pm
Mark62 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:33 pm
ads wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:12 pm

I'd probably have John Eales in there somewhere.
Absolutely great player. Nickname was Nobody because Nobody’s perfect
Colin 'Pinetree' Meads - an icon within New Zealand rugby who was named the country's Player of the Century at the NZRFU Awards in 1999.
Frik du Preez, the greatest Bok lock!!
Semper in excretia
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Philippe Sella can’t be omitted. Outstanding centre!
Semper in excretia
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:17 pm
JP14 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:27 am Whilst Savea is the closest thing we have had to Lomu he hasn’t been consistent, if Ben Cohen had been more consistent he would be a good shout for wingers too.

I think Savea is a really interesting one. He scored 46 trys in 54 test matches, .85 trys a match which for test match rugby is truly remarkable.
For some reason his test career dropped off a cliff, but he is only 30 this year.
Imagine if he had kept his form and maintained that average over 100 tests, scoring 85 trys, which would surely have marked him as the best ever.

To put that in perspective Jonah Lomu scored 37 tries in 64 tests which is an average of .58
Yes his strike rate is impressive but remember he is a winger, I would say a few of his tries especially prior to his All Black exclusion were either gifts or tries anyone could score. Now I didn’t have the benefit of watching Jonah Lomu live on the telly like you did Mark but from what I have seen on Youtube, he created a lot of tries as well as scored them.

Of course correct me if wrong.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Why has my plea to stop this never ending nonsense been removed? You could churn out players names forever.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

LE18 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:43 pm Why has my plea to stop this never ending nonsense been removed? You could churn out players names forever.
My response has also been removed when I asked what you wanted to discuss, and in case you haven’t noticed all threads come to a natural end
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:39 pm
Mark62 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:17 pm

Yes his strike rate is impressive but remember he is a winger, I would say a few of his tries especially prior to his All Black exclusion were either gifts or tries anyone could score. Now I didn’t have the benefit of watching Jonah Lomu live on the telly like you did Mark but from what I have seen on Youtube, he created a lot of tries as well as scored them.

Of course correct me if wrong.
Different teams different times, Lomu was the real first of the giant wingers, and although not common there are certainly more these days.
From memory the majority of Lomu’s trys were scored from out wide as why wouldn’t you want to put him 1 on 1 or even 2 to score
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Despite Lomu playing in a team with Zinzan Brooke, Merhtens and Cullen, the All Blacks team of the 90s were by no means below par but they’re successes will be forever be dwarfed by the 2008-2015 All Blacks side.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Just skip the thread LE18!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer