Players asked to take pay cuts!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Players asked to take pay cuts!

Post by RagingBull »

There will be no club in the premiership that will have it's entire squad go yes I will take a pay cut 100%.
There are clubs who are so much better than us at keeping this stuff in house though.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Nadolo tweeted a nice photo of a bbq at Freddie’s house, headlined our gang, featuring amongst others, Nemani himself, Manu, Vieanu and Taufua, just in case there was any doubt who was the chief string puller in all this.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Obviously players would not be thrilled about a cut in wages, I think we were spending too much on too few players which is why the support squad were not good enough and I think we have used the pandemic to adjust to a more balanced wage policy within the cap and with the cap reduction in mind. Manu has made his decision, good luck to him and to the other leavers, I am looking forward to seeing the ones who stayed and the new signings actually play and taking us back up the Premiership.

If Freddie was having a barbeque at his home with friends I don't see anything at all sinister in that, I just wish I had been invited.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:44 am Obviously players would not be thrilled about a cut in wages, I think we were spending too much on too few players which is why the support squad were not good enough and I think we have used the pandemic to adjust to a more balanced wage policy within the cap and with the cap reduction in mind. Manu has made his decision, good luck to him and to the other leavers, I am looking forward to seeing the ones who stayed and the new signings actually play and taking us back up the Premiership.

If Freddie was having a barbeque at his home with friends I don't see anything at all sinister in that, I just wish I had been invited.
Don’t think the word sinister was mentioned, other than by you, I’m sure it doesn’t need pointing out the invitees and the parts taken during the recent controversy at the club caused by leaks to the press, and social media postings.

There are some supporters that take the position of an Ostrich whenever the Tuilagi name is mentioned.
It has been mentioned that the club owe the family a big debt, imo the debt owed by the family to the club Is much larger.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:51 am
johnthegriff wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:44 am Obviously players would not be thrilled about a cut in wages, I think we were spending too much on too few players which is why the support squad were not good enough and I think we have used the pandemic to adjust to a more balanced wage policy within the cap and with the cap reduction in mind. Manu has made his decision, good luck to him and to the other leavers, I am looking forward to seeing the ones who stayed and the new signings actually play and taking us back up the Premiership.

Don’t think the word sinister was mentioned, other than by you, I’m sure it doesn’t need pointing out the invitees and the parts taken during the recent controversy at the club caused by leaks to the press, and social media postings.

There are some supporters that take the position of an Ostrich whenever the Tuilagi name is mentioned.
It has been mentioned that the club owe the family a big debt, imo the debt owed by the family to the club Is much larger.
I loved watching all the Tuilagi's play (though I was too young to see Freddie myself)

I have no hard feelings about any of them leaving, yes I'm happy for all 5 of those who have chosen to go elsewhere, they do have to get the best deal available to them and we as a club have to ensure our survival, sometimes those objectives align, but unfortunately for 5 players they didn't.

I wish them well and I look forward to their replacements (who are exciting players) playing.

There's always going to be some ill feeling around pay cuts and redundancies but I think it's been fairly minimal.

Unfortunately more has been played out in the media than ideal, but I can even understand why that happens.

Players become legends on the pitch and to my mind the Tuilagi's are Leicester Tigers legends as a group of players, it's a pity they are no longer represented at Tigers but I'm happy for the years they were here and I'll always have fond memories of them on the pitch.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Mark62, I agree you did not use the word sinister so maybe my choice of words was wrong, but your post did seem suggest that there was something wrong with Freddie Tuilagi hosting a barbeque at his home for family and friends, I just don't see it that way.
Starting with Freddie the employment of members of the Tuilagi family be Tigers has been mutually beneficial, that is what the employment of anybody in any occupation should be. That Manu has left us in search of a better deal is his business, we do not know what was said or what was on offer, he has moved on end of story, he will be playing for Sale in the future but I see no reason why he or his family and friends should not have a barbeque without attracting criticism.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:58 pm Mark62, I agree you did not use the word sinister so maybe my choice of words was wrong, but your post did seem suggest that there was something wrong with Freddie Tuilagi hosting a barbeque at his home for family and friends, I just don't see it that way.
Starting with Freddie the employment of members of the Tuilagi family be Tigers has been mutually beneficial, that is what the employment of anybody in any occupation should be. That Manu has left us in search of a better deal is his business, we do not know what was said or what was on offer, he has moved on end of story, he will be playing for Sale in the future but I see no reason why he or his family and friends should not have a barbeque without attracting criticism.
I’ll spell it out for you then, during the recent times, there were a number of different salary negotiations issues, the 2 biggest were Tuilagi and Vieanu, the Taufua situation went on longer than seemed reasonable, and there were rumours that Nadolo was possibly having second thoughts or though nothing further was mentioned.
Now as you say it maybe that these 4 players just went for a lovely bbq at Uncle Freddie’s, but not coincidence that he is advising them all. I’m sorry that it wasn’t obvious that is what I was saying, commenting rather than criticising
As for the Tuilagi family, Tigers have stood by them through good times and bad, and there have been a few of those, not all of which went public.
For every Freddie, Henry, Alex and Manu, there is a Andy , Brian and Freddie junior, who should not have got anywhere a Tigers shirt.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:20 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:58 pm Mark62, I agree you did not use the word sinister so maybe my choice of words was wrong, but your post did seem suggest that there was something wrong with Freddie Tuilagi hosting a barbeque at his home for family and friends, I just don't see it that way.
I’ll spell it out for you then, during the recent times, there were a number of different salary negotiations issues, the 2 biggest were Tuilagi and Vieanu, the Taufua situation went on longer than seemed reasonable, and there were rumours that Nadolo was possibly having second thoughts or though nothing further was mentioned.
Now as you say it maybe that these 4 players just went for a lovely bbq at Uncle Freddie’s, but not coincidence that he is advising them all. I’m sorry that it wasn’t obvious that is what I was saying, commenting rather than criticising
As for the Tuilagi family, Tigers have stood by them through good times and bad, and there have been a few of those, not all of which went public.
For every Freddie, Henry, Alex and Manu, there is a Andy , Brian and Freddie junior, who should not have got anywhere a Tigers shirt.
The same can be said of so many in recent years.