Players asked to take pay cuts!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

h's dad
Super User
Super User

Re: Players asked to take pay cuts!

Post by h's dad »

Crumblies wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:41 pm I think this has to qualify as the most erudite nonsense I’ve ever read:

You: What’s my problem doctor?
Doctor: ‘You now have lung cancer from smoking; You were warned’.

You: ‘Yes but you didn’t say which year I’d get it’.

Tempting as it is to keep trying to get you to acknowledge that as part of your previous posts you effectively insulted the Scientists and medical staff. Now charged with the responsibility of caring for and desperately searching for immunisation against this disease.

Do you seriously think when people on little more than the minimum wage, struggling to feed their family, and pay their bills have just taken a pay cut of 20% that the majority of people give a damn about a sportsman earning in excess of 200k a year has their pay reduced by 25%?

Yes this it can be argued this is off topic for a Rugby forum. But right now it can also be argued that unless we can get through this in the next 6 months or so Rugby as we know it will no longer exist and 200k p.a. will just be a pipe dream.
The original point was that fear of an unspecified possible future pandemic is not a sound reason to avoid taking on a mortgage. Nor is a fear of lung cancer although I would support anybody who wished to stop smoking.

Not sure that I've insulted scientists and/or medical staff, perhaps you can explain how I've done this?

I don't expect the majority do care, I was disagreeing with what was pretty close to an accusation that rugby players are a bunch of overpaid layabouts. I think everybody should share the effort of beating this challenge and we should single out specific groups are individuals for particular suffering. I think that is an unpleasant concept.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

h's dad wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:46 pm
Crumblies wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:41 pm I think this has to qualify as the most erudite nonsense I’ve ever read:

You: What’s my problem doctor?
Doctor: ‘You now have lung cancer from smoking; You were warned’.

You: ‘Yes but you didn’t say which year I’d get it’.

Tempting as it is to keep trying to get you to acknowledge that as part of your previous posts you effectively insulted the Scientists and medical staff. Now charged with the responsibility of caring for and desperately searching for immunisation against this disease.

Do you seriously think when people on little more than the minimum wage, struggling to feed their family, and pay their bills have just taken a pay cut of 20% that the majority of people give a damn about a sportsman earning in excess of 200k a year has their pay reduced by 25%?

Yes this it can be argued this is off topic for a Rugby forum. But right now it can also be argued that unless we can get through this in the next 6 months or so Rugby as we know it will no longer exist and 200k p.a. will just be a pipe dream.
The original point was that fear of an unspecified possible future pandemic is not a sound reason to avoid taking on a mortgage. I have repeatedly stressed this and it is in response to another post. Nor is a fear of lung cancer a reason to avoid a mortgage. although I would support anybody who wished to stop smoking.

Not sure that I've insulted scientists and/or medical staff, perhaps you can explain how I've done this?

I don't expect the majority do care, I was disagreeing with what was pretty close to an accusation that rugby players are a bunch of overpaid layabouts. I think everybody should share the effort of beating this challenge and we should single out specific groups are individuals for particular suffering. I think that is an unpleasant concept.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

If the shut down goes into next season, as it may well do, pay cuts could well be the tip of the iceberg.

Jobs and many of the professional clubs as we know them today may go under. Sponsors will be tight for cash and if rugby isn't being played then they may not be in a position to sponsor sides to the extent they do at present.

I guess the same will apply to many jobs in the medium term with tourism and leisure being the hardest hit.

Challenging times to say the least.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Crumblies wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:12 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:17 am This is a forum for discussion. We are in a very difficult situation together and need to take responsibility following guidance given. Any posts offering advice or saying how we should act which contradict official advice will be removed. The message needs to be clear and everyone listening to the official sources if we are to get through this together. Stay safe, be kind and think of others.
:smt023

And perhaps today of all days we can leave the last words to all the Mums who said to their children

‘Cleanliness is next to Godliness’

Mum always knows best! Here’s to them all

Your Mum had a very peculiar dictionary :smt002
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Old Hob wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:32 am
Crumblies wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:12 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:17 am This is a forum for discussion. We are in a very difficult situation together and need to take responsibility following guidance given. Any posts offering advice or saying how we should act which contradict official advice will be removed. The message needs to be clear and everyone listening to the official sources if we are to get through this together. Stay safe, be kind and think of others.

And perhaps today of all days we can leave the last words to all the Mums who said to their children

‘Cleanliness is next to Godliness’

Mum always knows best! Here’s to them all

Your Mum had a very peculiar dictionary :smt002
If I can't find some toilet roll soon my dictionary will be the same.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

'Quins the latest to announce a 25% wage cut to playing and coaching staff; over half of the Premiership clubs have now introduced a reduction in salary rates (Bristol alone in not specifying figures).....
All told ,a fragile existence.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

'Saints go marching in with a 25% salary reduction frpm April 1st - applied from an undisclosed threshold level :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52025447
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

mol2 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:10 am If the shut down goes into next season, as it may well do, pay cuts could well be the tip of the iceberg.

Jobs and many of the professional clubs as we know them today may go under. Sponsors will be tight for cash and if rugby isn't being played then they may not be in a position to sponsor sides to the extent they do at present.

I guess the same will apply to many jobs in the medium term with tourism and leisure being the hardest hit.

Challenging times to say the least.
Right now it all seems to be about 'business as usual' as soon as possible with the leech Branson in the vanguard of grabbing money along with Tim Martin and Mike Ashley. The problem is, business may well never be the same again unless 99% of the population let it. Rugby certainly will have a massive hiccup, and potentially aspects outside the grassroots (which WILL survive) may be changed forever. Money grabbing and sneering at the low paid is just taking a massive hit as the middle classes need the low paid to survive. However the number of volunteers for the NHS shows what a great lot we are in the main AND how much we value the NHS.
Tigers players are doing their bit, and I doubt that any will think of their rugby before their family, friends, club and its supporters.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Thankfully Ashley and Martin are in the minority and generally businesses outside the public sector like Greggs and McDonald’s are treating staff quite well during this period. It’s self-employed businesses that will struggle the most during this time.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

JP14 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:47 pm Thankfully Ashley and Martin are in the minority and generally businesses outside the public sector like Greggs and McDonald’s are treating staff quite well during this period. It’s self-employed businesses that will struggle the most during this time.
There's a balance to be considered.
Shutting down is all well and good but for the firms you mention there will be a huge hit for their staff. Could their safety have been addressed with suitable personal security measures that leave them at minimal increased risk but kept them working, in a job, getting paid and contributing to the economy.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Brittania Hotels (Pontin's Holiday Camps) dismissed all their staff forthwith but then "generously" took them back under the government 80% pay scheme. They will, however, not add anything themselves to the tax payers' contribution to their staff. Wetherspoons now refuse to pay suppliers until pubs re-open. Branson already mentioned but first to have his hand out for a sub.

And, yes. Rugby players are overpaid. They operate in a weird, distorted market like TV presenters, newspaper columnists and top actors. They are pursuing essentially trivial occupations but are rewarded massively disproportionately. And please don't bring the "It's a short career" argument. That just gives longer for a more normal one. I know there are some on here who appear to worship/ revere people with money , apparently seeing them as morally superior in some way but most are just lucky. In the current state of affairs we can see who the really important people are. Refuse collectors, transport workers, delivery drivers, supermarket workers and people in the emergency services and NHS. There are others. Nobody ever said, "It's a crisis. Is there a rugby player/actor/ restaurant critic in the house?"
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

+1
I'm not cynical just experienced
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Old Hob makes 1 good point that yes maybe rugby players are overpaid but they operate in the entertainment industry and as such their salaries can be, for those at the top level, inflated, that is the market norm.
IMHO it is unnecessary to start bring the Britannia hotels story to this forum, unless there are personal axes to grind.
Also I would hope we can all see who the real heroes are during this crisis, so do we really need to turn this into a political soapbox.

Back on thread I read an article this morning, as usual I can’t now find it, that Wasps have told all staff to stay at home for 3 months, but there are no threats of redundancy. I’m assuming this is non playing staff and can’t remember if it’s unpaid.
If anyone can find a link I would be grateful
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:09 am Old Hob makes 1 good point that yes maybe rugby players are overpaid but they operate in the entertainment industry and as such their salaries can be, for those at the top level, inflated, that is the market norm.
IMHO it is unnecessary to start bring the Britannia hotels story to this forum, unless there are personal axes to grind.
Also I would hope we can all see who the real heroes are during this crisis, so do we really need to turn this into a political soapbox.

Back on thread I read an article this morning, as usual I can’t now find it, that Wasps have told all staff to stay at home for 3 months, but there are no threats of redundancy. I’m assuming this is non playing staff and can’t remember if it’s unpaid.
If anyone can find a link I would be grateful
Don't know about Wasps, but Falcons are:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52049665