Players asked to take pay cuts!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Players asked to take pay cuts!

Post by JP14 »

They could do away with the club veto, that system of democracy never works!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 10:25 am They could do away with the club veto, that system of democracy never works!
Totally agree JP, a simple majority should do especially as there are 13 members.

Slightly ironic that now the brown stuff has hit the whirly thing they want yo get rid of something they introduced to get round the cap.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

So our 2 marquee players currently
Manu and Taufua I think.

Taufua should be easy enough to fit into the cap, on the other hand as things stand Manu wouldn't.
cheltexile

Post by cheltexile »

Any changes like removing the marquee players won't come into affect immediately anyway, it will be near impossible with current contracts. That said I can't see a single one of these ideas (even though most of them appear sensible) coming to fruition when you need every single club to agree.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Agree that getting rid of the inflationary marquee player system would benefit our game enormously, it made no sense when it was first introduced as it just meant that richer clubs were able to overspend defeating the whole " level playing field " that the introduction of the salary cap was intended to create. Cheltexile is right when he says that due to contract lengths it may be difficult to abandon the marquee system immediately unless it was introduced with a possible raising of the cap level, maybe by increasing the allowance for home produced players. Failure to do something along those lines could mean a team contracted to pay a couple of players wages representing say a quarter of the cap amount would have to reduce numbers dramatically and overplay or force those with injury onto the pitch when they really need more recovery time.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

If the marquee system is got rid of, we should be ok with Manu until his contract expires, even under current circumstances I can't see him staying post-Lions.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

[/Sorry edit went wrong :smt013
Last edited by wormus on Wed May 20, 2020 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

wormus wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:56 pm News in the Daily Mail regarding Gloucester and Wasps wanting to make the 25% ish! paycuts permanent.
So I bet Jonny May is really pleased that he left the Tigers Family for a managerless, financially bust and dishearteded Gloucester club.
These two clubs appear to be held together with sellotape.. :smt006
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... tinue.html
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

What’s all this about Tigers Family, that disappeared when the game went professional.
Players play for the money, as May has shown there is no loyalty any more.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

See someone in the comments said "Don't forget Leicester Tigers." in regards to "These two clubs are on the verge of collapse."

But I havn't yet seen a indication for that.
There was a player dispute over the wages but it was more they wanted to just see their legal options rather than anything drastic.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

RagingBull wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:59 pm See someone in the comments said "Don't forget Leicester Tigers." in regards to "These two clubs are on the verge of collapse."

But I havn't yet seen a indication for that.
There was a player dispute over the wages but it was more they wanted to just see their legal options rather than anything drastic.
Maybe wishful thinking on the posters part. While a club wouldn't come outright and admit that they're up the certain creek without a certain paddle surely Tigers wouldn't be making the squad overhaul that they have and bring in the players that we have if we were stricken financially. Also, would Smurph announce oublically that we were spending up to the cap next year?
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

BigDan50 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:12 pm What’s all this about Tigers Family, that disappeared when the game went professional.
What would you do if your employer demanded you take a huge pay cut when other employers were queueing up to offer a much better package? I don't know if you have a partner or dependents but Johnny does. What do you thing they're saying?

Johnny May has always given his all on the pitch (IMO) which is more than I think can be said of some.

In any professional field there is loyalty and there is stupidity. The line isn't that blurred.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

h's dad wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:35 pm
BigDan50 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:12 pm What’s all this about Tigers Family, that disappeared when the game went professional.
What would you do if your employer demanded you take a huge pay cut when other employers were queueing up to offer a much better package? I don't know if you have a partner or dependents but Johnny does. What do you thing they're saying?

Johnny May has always given his all on the pitch (IMO) which is more than I think can be said of some.

In any professional field there is loyalty and there is stupidity. The line isn't that blurred.
Sorry agree with bigdan50 here. Ben and Tom Young’s chose to take a big pay cut and May did not. In my opinion you will always get more loyalty from players that come through your academy. May decided to take the money and that is his prerogative
A2O
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

ay2oh wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:49 pm
h's dad wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 12:35 pm

Sorry agree with bigdan50 here. Ben and Tom Young’s chose to take a big pay cut and May did not. In my opinion you will always get more loyalty from players that come through your academy. May decided to take the money and that is his prerogative
You're backing bigdan who has accused Johnny May of showing no loyalty

You're probably generally right about the loyalty of academy players. I know a guy who was really upset when he was effectively pushed out although he doubled his money with his move.

If Johnny had come through the academy and had a brother in the team he might have stayed. Who knows?
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Just like to point out that both ay2oh and I have been edited.