Players asked to take pay cuts!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Players asked to take pay cuts!

Post by BFG »

Who cares who said what when and why, I'll start listening when Leicester are on the up and no longer in 11th place!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

So with all our recent upheaval,the fact that Genge has been in the news about leaving more than once,the fact he has he has publicly shouted down Tigers fans,the fact that any club in the land would have him,the fact that hes publicly announced hes homesick maybe wouldnt make him think to himself "you know what, I'll stay this time but I dont want to tie myself down too long in case things dont pick up here".
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

:smt015 :smt01
Scott1 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:21 pm So with all our recent upheaval,the fact that Genge has been in the news about leaving more than once,the fact he has he has publicly shouted down Tigers fans,the fact that any club in the land would have him,the fact that hes publicly announced hes homesick maybe wouldnt make him think to himself "you know what, I'll stay this time but I dont want to tie myself down too long in case things dont pick up here".
:smt015 :smt015
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I can only find one report that said he has signed on for 2 seasons at 400k pa with a relegation release clause. At the same time Ford signed for 600k. If so good on him but I would ABSOLUTELY understand if he just extended for one season.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:30 pm I can only find one report that said he has signed on for 2 seasons at 400k pa with a relegation release clause. At the same time Ford signed for 600k. If so good on him but I would ABSOLUTELY understand if he just extended for one season.
2 parties in any agreement, no club would take a 1 year extension, for a player not yet reached his peak.

If he’s that homesick how come he’s starting a family here.
Like I say he may miss Bristol the city but not necessarily Bristol the club
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Any thoughts on Genge setting himself up as rugby's Jimmy Hill?
https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/rugby-unio ... 97804.html
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
APM16

Post by APM16 »

Genge showing leadership :smt027 :smt023
Good sign for the future if he's still at Tigers in a few years, by which time I'd have him as Tigers captain (he's more qualified than a Dylan Hartley :smt017 /Joe Marler :smt018 )
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

BFG wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:18 pm Who cares who said what when and why, I'll start listening when Leicester are on the up and no longer in 11th place!
The two things might be related.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

ourla wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:24 pm
BFG wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:18 pm Who cares who said what when and why, I'll start listening when Leicester are on the up and no longer in 11th place!
The two things might be related.
Just to be sure, as some consider that it is 12th this season and others consider it was 10th last season. :smt003
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

h's dad wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:40 pm Any thoughts on Genge setting himself up as rugby's Jimmy Hill?
I’m split to be honest. On one hand it’s a good idea but then on the other, they are disappointed at a 25% pay drop but then are going to put their own money into setting up a new players union. This means that they are going to be paid 25% less and then put money into a Union meaning they’ll have even less money so it seems to me that a 25% drop obviously doesn’t have a major affect.
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:41 am
h's dad wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:40 pm Any thoughts on Genge setting himself up as rugby's Jimmy Hill?
I’m split to be honest. On one hand it’s a good idea but then on the other, they are disappointed at a 25% pay drop but then are going to put their own money into setting up a new players union. This means that they are going to be paid 25% less and then put money into a Union meaning they’ll have even less money so it seems to me that a 25% drop obviously doesn’t have a major affect.
...even more reason to get in independent representation!!!
It is too late now for the 25% deduction but had they had the independent advice they may have been able to avoid the deduction or get a better outcome.
Your reasoning is flawed, it will be like going into a formal meeting in respect of your job being at risk and a member of staff is asked to represent you.
When all is done, your representative is still an employee of the company and they are in a position where they will be walking a fine line and erring on the side of company. The independent representative (Union Rep.) is on your side, has no allegiance to the company and can use, enact, various legal challenges in order for you to succeed.
Should they set up this new body, their will be a totally different outcome, if such a scenario ever arises again.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Redstripeman wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:41 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:41 am
...even more reason to get in independent representation!!!
It is too late now for the 25% deduction but had they had the independent advice they may have been able to avoid the deduction or get a better outcome.
Your reasoning is flawed, it will be like going into a formal meeting in respect of your job being at risk and a member of staff is asked to represent you.
When all is done, your representative is still an employee of the company and they are in a position where they will be walking a fine line and erring on the side of company. The independent representative (Union Rep.) is on your side, has no allegiance to the company and can use, enact, various legal challenges in order for you to succeed.
Should they set up this new body, their will be a totally different outcome, if such a scenario ever arises again.
If they had this in place previously, they’d have been paying into it so would have less money, therefore, I’d say they can afford a 25% reduction now
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It’s a longterm investment, plus they have private investors. Therefore their financial loss is minimal and will hopefully be worth it in the long run. Your argument, as ever, is futile.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Attributed to The Telegraph , in an effort to curb costs, the Premiership clubs are looking to amend/dispense with the marquee system:
https://www.ruck.co.uk/reports-the-prem ... ge-change/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Personally, I would like to see this happen, or at least drop the second marquee.
Since its introduction it has contributed to a distortion of players salaries. However, if such a move requires all the clubs to agree to it, then unfortunately, I can't see it getting through. I hope I am wrong, but the clubs with the sugar daddy owners will lose their advantage and are likely to oppose it.