Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Players asked to take pay cuts!

Post by WhitecapTiger »

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/52449455

Well, I guess we now know a little more about why Gengey's name was prominently mentioned.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Oh good, another body with a finger in the pie.

Who will fund it? Why would they want to, what would they want out of it, and what control would they want?

There is no such thing as money for nothing!
Valhalla I am coming!
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

fleabane wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:59 pm Oh good, another body with a finger in the pie.

Who will fund it? Why would they want to, what would they want out of it, and what control would they want?

There is no such thing as money for nothing!
It sounds like the whole point is that they won't have a finger in the pie!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Genge believes the RPA suffers from a conflict of interest through its RFU/Premiership funding so wants to create an independent body. My only worry is that it will inadvertently detract from the RPA and will add confusion but I wish him good luck.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Big fan of Ellis Genge and I get where he is coming from. The RPA do a really good job in certain areas, but in others their hands are tied as the majority of their funding comes from the RFU.

What I find slightly troubling is having read the article the majority of it just isn’t from Ellis, there are words and phrases that he wouldn’t use.
Anyone who follows twitter will know that one of Genges biggest advocates is a certain England captain from the early 90s who once got fired for his 53 old farts comment.
Ellis is very much one of the acceptable new faces of rugby at present, and I just hope he isn’t being used as the public face by people who have other issues.
This is all IMHO.

What was good to read that the issue between players and club now seems to have been sorted out.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Again common sense spoken about obviously genuine issues but two bodies essentially representing the same group may only lead to further confusion and schism further down the road.Here and now the broader picture has to be addressed by both the clubs and players alike.If nothing else lessons Public Relations and basic communication should already have well and truly learnt by all parties concerned - and I'm sure that this does not just apply to Leicester.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I don't blame Murphy and Youngs for playing a straight bat in some ways but I saw them as glossing over the realities - almost being untruthful.

Most of that Daily Mail article seems to founded in reality.

Genge continues to surprise - and in a good way.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Ellis is a great lad and sadly, with Tigers’ strangely attracting no rich sugar daddy like Bristol and Bath this May mean we lose Genge to Bristol after one more year. Sad if that happens but on the other hand, the aim for Tigers is to ride out this difficult period and rebuild the whole club based on good business and playing sense.
The great thing about the club when we won the Heineken Cup in Paris was every single person from the gate people to the team counted.
Exeter and Sarries have both said they built their team, club based upon what we had done in the late 90s and early 2000s.
Hopefully next season attendances will improve( though considering our last three season’s performances the attendances have been impressive) and the foundations will be in place to be a top side again.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

At the moment a lot of the press are understandably looking for stories to fill the pages! From reading The Mail’s article then listen to Tom Youngs( a top Tiger) and Murphy I think The Mail didn’t paint the best picture.
To be honest, getting the nation fit and healthy and praising all key workers, the NHS, MPs, scientists trying to find cures for cancer and getting a vaccine for the virus, lorry drivers, police, refuse collectors, teachers and all those who are working is the priority.
Last edited by Ian Cant on Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

ourla wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:29 pm I don't blame Murphy and Youngs for playing a straight bat in some ways but I saw them as glossing over the realities - almost being untruthful.

What realities did they gloss over and be untruthful about.
The Daily Mail article was proved to be a gross exaggeration
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Ian Cant wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:34 pm Ellis is a great lad and sadly, with Tigers’ strangely attracting no rich sugar daddy like Bristol and Bath this May mean we lose Genge to Bristol after one more year. Sad if that happens but on the other hand, the aim for Tigers is to ride out this difficult period and rebuild the whole club based on good business and playing sense.
The great thing about the club when we won the Heineken Cup in Paris was every single person from the gate people to the team counted.
Exeter and Sarries have both said they built their team, club based upon what we had done in the late 90s and early 2000s.
Hopefully next season attendances will improve( though considering our last three season’s performances the attendances have been impressive) and the foundations will be in place to be a top side again.
The minimum Ellis would have signed in December was a 2 year extension otherwise what go through the whole process, so not sure where your 1 year comes from.
I for one would be surprised to see him him return to Bristol. The South West yes, Bristol no
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:34 pm
ourla wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:29 pm I don't blame Murphy and Youngs for playing a straight bat in some ways but I saw them as glossing over the realities - almost being untruthful.

Youngs/Murphy admitted that the squad were unclear about the proposals and a number were uneasy about them. But then glosses over what the Mail called "a heated call" that took place. The Mail talks about the players feeling "railroaded" into accepting the proposals. Youngs/Murphy IMO glossed over and tried to make light of these issues.

Also iirc Youngs/Murphy say in the interview there were no lawyers involved. I took as meaning there was no lawyer on the call, which is possibly true. But again glosses over that Bateman clearly did consult and took advice from a lawyer.

Does any of this matter? I am all for strong conversations had to sort out misunderstandings and to get over what is undoubtedly a unusual situation. However, it worries me that the outward voice of the club in Youngs/Murphy wants to try to brush over it. TBH, my concern is with the board/owner/management side. And how they are doing their job. And that stems from actions before this recent event.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:37 pm
Ian Cant wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:34 pm Ellis is a great lad and sadly, with Tigers’ strangely attracting no rich sugar daddy like Bristol and Bath this May mean we lose Genge to Bristol after one more year. Sad if that happens but on the other hand, the aim for Tigers is to ride out this difficult period and rebuild the whole club based on good business and playing sense.
The minimum Ellis would have signed in December was a 2 year extension otherwise what go through the whole process, so not sure where your 1 year comes from.
I for one would be surprised to see him him return to Bristol. The South West yes, Bristol no
Players do sign 1 year extensions so why not?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

ourla wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:51 pm
Mark62 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:34 pm

Youngs/Murphy admitted that the squad were unclear about the proposals and a number were uneasy about them. But then glosses over what the Mail called "a heated call" that took place. The Mail talks about the players feeling "railroaded" into accepting the proposals. Youngs/Murphy IMO glossed over and tried to make light of these issues.

Also iirc Youngs/Murphy say in the interview there were no lawyers involved. I took as meaning there was no lawyer on the call, which is possibly true. But again glosses over that Bateman clearly did consult and took advice from a lawyer.

Does any of this matter? I am all for strong conversations had to sort out misunderstandings and to get over what is undoubtedly a unusual situation. However, it worries me that the outward voice of the club in Youngs/Murphy wants to try to brush over it. TBH, my concern is with the board/owner/management side. And how they are doing their job. And that stems from actions before this recent event.
I agree it doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things. As I recall they said the issues were the same as those affecting any company and that because this was of the uncertainty and unanswered questions caused by an unprecedented situation, the club as well as the players were unsure what moves needed to be made.
As for the lawyer Tom said that no lawyer had been retained by the player group, but that individual players may have sort advice.
I don’t think there was any brushing over at all, just honest answers without breaking confidential details.
You of course are entitled to view it differently
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:52 pm
Mark62 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:37 pm
Players do sign 1 year extensions so why not?
Because he is seen as very important and his contract extension was large. Why go through all the bother for 1 year, for the sake of both parties, it’s not really that difficult :smt015