Players asked to take pay cuts!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Players asked to take pay cuts!

Post by jgriffin »

biffer wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:04 am I'm perfectly prepared to judge Tim Martin.
Those who judge others are ripe to be judged. Those who constantly take (subsidies, tax breaks, sueing NHS etc) and hedge their wealth offshore in light/no tax regimes are ripe to be judged. At a time when true contributers to society such as NHS staff are risking their lives to help the stricken, in politically contrived dangers (e.g. PPE shortages), yes, we can judge their greed. And no, that doesn't make us some kind of lefty politician it makes us show we have functioning moral compasses.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Is creating jobs for members of society not a contribution, even though you may feel they personally benefit too much from it?
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

BFG wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:25 pm
h's dad wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:42 am Steady on Mark and Traveller. BFG may be right and he finds it not difficult to run business and the economy at this difficult time. In which case in normal circumstances he must find it an absolute doddle and he must be a cash-rich multi-billionaire able to save us all with his loose change.

I don't know but I think there is more chance of Mark being right.
I don't know, I think johnthegriff sends a strong message.
Those who stick together come out stronger.
There are undoubtedly some lessons to be learned here.
Not sure where johnthegriff has said anything to support your arguments that I disagree with?
Your description of billions sitting in banks is grossly naive.
Sticking together is different to leeching off others.

The 8 o' clock applause is nice but is tempered by the abuse that NHS and care staff are getting from a selfish, greed and generally stupid section of the public.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

has announced that 550 non-playing directors and employees will have their salaries cut by 20% for the next two months.
The club will do this by using a government scheme allowing them to apply for a grant covering 80% of a furloughed employee's wages.

Guess the Premier League chairman I've left out.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Daniel Levy
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:36 pm Daniel Levy
Agreed but not that surprised
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Correct!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:10 am Is creating jobs for members of society not a contribution, even though you may feel they personally benefit too much from it?
It is, but if you’ve made £450million off the back of other people’s labour, a wee bit of humanity in the way you treat your staff in tougher times isn’t an unreasonable thing to expect.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

biffer wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:03 am
Tiglon wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:10 am Is creating jobs for members of society not a contribution, even though you may feel they personally benefit too much from it?
It is, but if you’ve made £450million off the back of other people’s labour, a wee bit of humanity in the way you treat your staff in tougher times isn’t an unreasonable thing to expect.
Also off the back of your own labour. I have known a few "wealthy" people in my time, and they all work a hell of a lot harder than 99% of people I've worked with on minimum wage or similar. Humanity is definitely something that should be expected. Paying wages with money you don't have is not.

As a society we seem to be clinging to this idea that every business is owned by a fat cat with millions or billions sat in the bank. Simply not true, not even close. And don't believe every meme you read on Facebook.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:27 am
biffer wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:03 am
Also off the back of your own labour. I have known a few "wealthy" people in my time, and they all work a hell of a lot harder than 99% of people I've worked with on minimum wage or similar. Humanity is definitely something that should be expected. Paying wages with money you don't have is not.

As a society we seem to be clinging to this idea that every business is owned by a fat cat with millions or billions sat in the bank. Simply not true, not even close. And don't believe every meme you read on Facebook.
Tim Martin seems to have handled it with all the deftness of Michael O'Leary but with 43,000 employees his wage bill must be of the order of £80million a month even if there are a lot of low paid part timers. It doesn't take long for that to dig in to your net worth. And how much of anybody's net worth is in cash? And the government is dragging it's feet on how any support is going to work, it may be telling that, as BFG pointed out, 90% of the advertised support is in loans. For those who are confused, I can explain how loans work.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

It does make me smile, though through gritted teeth, how all the buccaneering, free-market, get government off our back, reduce-taxes entrepreneurs are so quick to demand the government gives them a handout. A handout from people who paid PAYE and didn't salt away their earnings offshore.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:03 pm It does make me smile, though through gritted teeth, how all the buccaneering, free-market, get government off our back, reduce-taxes entrepreneurs are so quick to demand the government gives them a handout. A handout from people who paid PAYE and didn't salt away their earnings offshore.
Employer wants employees to work. Government will not allow employees to work. Why should the employer pay them rather than the Government? How long do you think employers should pay employees 80% of their wages for doing nothing that benefits the employer?
The smile through gritted teeth doesn't help any pretence or appearance of sanity.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

A quote from an email from my employer.

HMRC have made clear that to be eligible for Furlough an employee must not complete any financially valuable work whilst on leave.

Basically if you’re working and it’s helping your employer run the business they pay your normal salary, if you’re at home on extended leave your employer pays you 80% and claims it back from the government.

No confusion no middle ground
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:52 pm A quote from an email from my employer.

HMRC have made clear that to be eligible for Furlough an employee must not complete any financially valuable work whilst on leave.

Basically if you’re working and it’s helping your employer run the business they pay your normal salary, if you’re at home on extended leave your employer pays you 80% and claims it back from the government.

No confusion no middle ground
That's all right if you've got money sitting in the bank to pay people who aren't doing anything while Rishi sorts himself out:

"The online service you’ll use to claim is not available yet. We expect it to be available by the end of April 2020." HMRC.

Assuming it doesn't turn out to be a loan of some sort. Whatever it is we'll all wind up paying for it one way or another in varying proportions.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Fair enough and I realise I’m in a fortunate position.
From my understanding it won’t be a loan but as you say we will end up paying for it somehow my guess is a reduction in the tax free amount of salaries.
As you say not all employees are going to be in the same boat, for instance if you started a new job after February 28 you cannot be Furloughed