Players asked to take pay cuts!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Players asked to take pay cuts!

Post by JP14 »

Some of the players are being selfish to sue, the ones on peanuts maybe not but I think certain players need to look at the bigger picture.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Notajock forgot to include the government in his list of priority payments, PAYE & VAT are high on the list of creditors, and of course in the event of a liquidation settlements can only be made after all assets are disposed of. I have reason to believe it is not easy to sell a sports ground so it could take some time.
Legally of course the players probably have a case, it is wrong if there was no prior discussion before the reduction was announced.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

JP14 wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:39 pm Some of the players are being selfish to sue, the ones on peanuts maybe not but I think certain players need to look at the bigger picture.
Everyone has their own circumstances............there may be a high earner on £200000 a year and has a Mortgag with say a large payment and other expenses..........it may seem feasible to expect the high earners to take the cut but they still have bills to pay. However, there may be some who are in a positon to take a cut without it affecting them greatly. Very hard times for all and some difficult decisions to be made if businesses / clubs are going to survive.
My company (Not Tigers) have asked me to take a pay cut........seriously need to consider it as there is the potential for the company to go out of business and I will have no job...........not a nice thought!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Looking in from the outside it is impossible to accurately judge the behaviour of others. We don't know the players' individual personal situations, we don't know everything about the clubs' finances. The same goes for the likes of Virgin and Wetherspoons. What's the point in saying "look at me I'm a nice guy!" and paying all your staff and suppliers and then your business goes under in a month and no one has a job because paying 43,000 people takes a lot of money when there's zero coming in (spoons).

These are very unusual times and not paying what you owe doesn't necessarily make you a bad person, it's a lot more complex than that. The whole economy is (temporarily, at least) completely torn apart and thousands of individuals and businesses will be faced with incredibly tough 'no win' decisions. When there is no money in the bank and no money coming in, somebody isn't going to get paid!

This is not the time to judge or shame others.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:19 am Looking in from the outside it is impossible to accurately judge the behaviour of others. We don't know the players' individual personal situations, we don't know everything about the clubs' finances. The same goes for the likes of Virgin and Wetherspoons. What's the point in saying "look at me I'm a nice guy!" and paying all your staff and suppliers and then your business goes under in a month and no one has a job because paying 43,000 people takes a lot of money when there's zero coming in (spoons).

These are very unusual times and not paying what you owe doesn't necessarily make you a bad person, it's a lot more complex than that. The whole economy is (temporarily, at least) completely torn apart and thousands of individuals and businesses will be faced with incredibly tough 'no win' decisions. When there is no money in the bank and no money coming in, somebody isn't going to get paid!

Brilliant post :smt023
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:19 am Looking in from the outside it is impossible to accurately judge the behaviour of others. We don't know the players' individual personal situations, we don't know everything about the clubs' finances. The same goes for the likes of Virgin and Wetherspoons. What's the point in saying "look at me I'm a nice guy!" and paying all your staff and suppliers and then your business goes under in a month and no one has a job because paying 43,000 people takes a lot of money when there's zero coming in (spoons).

It's only complex if you make it complex.
Many billions are collectively sat safely in the bank.
Money accumulated in good times.
In bad times you either keep it to yourself or you share it.
It's not difficult, it just requires a sharing mentality.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

BFG wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:45 am

You are Jeremy Corbyn and I claim my £10
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

I'm perfectly prepared to judge Tim Martin.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:02 am

It's really not difficult Mark.
Life is more precious than money.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I completely agree and all employers for myself and my extended family have taken that attitude.
IMO we need the companies that are strong to still be operating from a position of strength when we get through this, not just in sport but all walks of life.
I feel the RPA have given the players bad advice about taking legal action and admire the likes of George Kruis who are saying look at the bigger picture
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

in this instance players must tread very carefully ; individual rights and wrongs legal or otherwise will (rightly in my opinion) be lost in the reality of where we are all at right now.In the here and now perception is reality , it is not just doing the right thing but also being seen to do the right thing and morally right supersedes legally right in every sense.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:11 am in this instance players must tread very carefully ; individual rights and wrongs legal or otherwise will (rightly in my opinion) be lost in the reality of where we are all at right now.In the here and now perception is reality , it is not just doing the right thing but also being seen to do the right thing and morally right supersedes legally right in every sense.
Completely agree
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

BFG wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:10 am
Mark62 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:02 am

It's really not difficult Mark.
Life is more precious than money.
You are aware that not every business has a lot of money in the bank, aren't you? Particularly the hospitality businesses that are suffering at the moment.

Even many "wealthy" people don't have a lot of cash in the bank.

Let's take the Wetherspoons example. Published £58m profits recently. Pre tax. So let's say £45m after tax - ok, tax payments have been delayed, but they still need to be paid at some point. 43,000 employees - maybe an average of £1000 per month each, just a wild guess. That's £43m gone this month. So even if all that profit is sat in the bank, it will barely cover the first month. Then there are the suppliers that are owed money and a whole host of other costs. Bearing that in mind, and the fact that these businesses are likely to be closed for 3 months, why is it unreasonable that Wetherspoons said they weren't going to be able to pay wages unless the government helped? Maybe Tim Martin has £10m sat in his bank account (unlikely) - BFG might say that the rich should use it to pay wages. Great, he's paid 25% of wages for one month and now he's broke. His employees still can't afford their rent. The business goes under and everyone loses their jobs. How exactly has that helped?

You need to realise that the decision faced by a lot of businesses is not shall I pay my staff or keep all the money for myself, it's shall I pay everyone everything now or shall I try to make sure they still have a job in 3 months time.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark come on now, Corbyn would never like rugby, way too upper class for him!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni