Favourite matches of all time

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Favourite matches of all time

Post by Robespierre »

To help pass the time I’m asking the question, “What are your favourite matches of all time?”, either that you saw live or on the box. One of mine was the 2nd Lions’ Test v the Springboks in June ‘97 in Durban where the Lions clinched the series with a Guscott drop goal near the end of the game!! And I was fortunate enough to be there! Another was the Heineken final, Stade Français v Tigers at Parc des Princes! Fabulous game!
Semper in excretia
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Favourite matches of all time

Post by Mark62 »

2 for me, Hand of Back European final v Munster in Cardiff, great event made better by the Munster fans.

U17 county cup final South Leicester v Syston 6 years ago a thrilling 7-0 victory for South played on a covered bog at Leicester forest
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

2010 Prem final, two teams playing good attacking rugby, score going back and forth and then that late Hipkiss try from Flood's restart at the end.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Crofty having a stormer at the Allotment as the Sinners fans headed home in their droves before the hour mark. Can't remember the year but I'm sure we were wearing the platinum Cat sponsored shirt.

The other was the Stade European final. I was quite young but still remember it like it was yesterday.
Kent Tiger
Tiger Cub

Post by Kent Tiger »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:25 pm Crofty having a stormer at the Allotment as the Sinners fans headed home in their droves before the hour mark.
I remember being at that game. There was a large contingent of Tigers sitting in a corner section over an entrance/exit and as the Saints fans streamed past us on their way out we were singing ' oh when the saints, oh when the saints, oh when the saints go marching home' Great fun.

My favourite games have to be my first live rugby match Tigers v South Africa 2009 and my first Prem final at the end of that season Tigers v Saracens. We were sat right above the posts when Hipkiss ran in 'that try'.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Well there’s England beating the All Blacks at the RWC, France beating Wales this 6N, one of my favourite Tigers games was when we beat Munster in 2017 (the last time we had any real proper atmosphere until the Bristol game).

Saints getting their trousers pulled down by Harlequins at Twickers is also one of my favourite matches and one of my earliest memories of going to rugby match was the draw at Big Game I
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
neilf
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by neilf »

Two for me that I was at:
Premiership final V Saracens with the late winning try
&
V Cardiff Blues in European cup with that famous penalty shoot out. We had been in Cardiff since 11.00 and I was instantly sober :smt005
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:15 pm Hand of Back European final v Munster in Cardiff, great event made better by the Munster fans.
+1 the closed roof in the Millennium, as it was then, made for an even more intense atmosphere. Sat behind the delightful Keith Wood who declined not one autograph all afternoon.

Second, Tigers 22- 17 South Africa, 6th November 2009 at Welford Road. Official opening of the Caterpillar Stand and coming-of-age appearances by Ben Youngs and Manu Tuilagi.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Will always remember my first first team game vs Newcastle in 2005 which Tigers won 83-10, will never forget Henry Tuilagi running 40m down the pitch with what felt like half the Newcastle team hanging off him. Still have the match programme somewhere with a rundown of the Newcastle squad which featured future Tigers Toby Flood, Mathew Tait, Geoff Parling, Ben Woods and ex-Tiger James Grindal.
Caerlyr Osprey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Caerlyr Osprey »

Off the top of my head and in no particular order, favourite Tigers games would include:
2001 Heineken Cup Final vs Stade
2007 away game at Munster in Europe. Also the home QF against Stade in the same campaign.
2009 vs the Boks
2007 Prem Final v Glaws and 2010 Final against Sarries.
2007 EDF final against Ospreys

Other games:
1997 Lions second test vs the Boks
1999 Wales v England
1999 Swansea v Llanelli Welsh Cup Final
1992 Swansea v Australia
Swansea Cricket & Football Club - The First British Club Side To Beat The All Blacks, Springboks & Wallabies.
The Ospreys The First Welsh Region To Beat A Touring Side
Leicester Football Club The First Back To Back Winners of The European Cup
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Caerlyr Osprey wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:31 am Off the top of my head and in no particular order, favourite Tigers games would include:
2001 Heineken Cup Final vs Stade
2007 away game at Munster in Europe. Also the home QF against Stade in the same campaign.
2009 vs the Boks
2007 Prem Final v Glaws and 2010 Final against Sarries.
2007 EDF final against Ospreys

Other games:
1997 Lions second test vs the Boks
1999 Wales v England
1999 Swansea v Llanelli Welsh Cup Final
1992 Swansea v Australia
Agree with all the Tigers games mentioned + semi against Harlequins at Welford road and that try from Croft :smt003
A2O
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

This match was a cracker!
1991 World Cup Q Final France v England in Paris.
Good job there were no TMOs in those days or there wouldn't've been many players left on the pitch!

https://youtu.be/t00-5tc05ng
Semper in excretia
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Another one that springs to mind is either 1979 or 1980 standing on the terrace at the old Cardiff Arms Park with my Dad, feeling the singing coming across the pitch from the big stand like a wall of sound watching Wales beat the French in a grand slam decider with Phil Bennett nipping over for a couple.
Can’t have been 80 so possibly 78/79
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Perhaps not a great game per se (24-10 win consisting of mostly penalties) but I enjoyed watching Geordie kick a drop goal from inside his own half vs Glos in 2009
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:54 pm Perhaps not a great game per se (24-10 win consisting of mostly penalties) but I enjoyed watching Geordie kick a drop goal from inside his own half vs Glos in 2009
I believe Dusty Hare did the same thing, Midlands v All Blacks 1983.