Could this be the end for some clubs?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Could this be the end for some clubs?

Post by kpj tiger »

As pointed out in this article the financial implications on cancelled fixtures for rugby teams could be catastrophic, might we even see teams who are already on financially thin ice fold?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... cancelled/
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Could this be the end for some clubs?

Post by teds »

Does it say which clubs? I guess Wasps is looking most precarious?
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

teds wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:42 pm Does it say which clubs? I guess Wasps is looking most precarious?
You'd have to hope so! :smt002
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Wasps must be at the most risk but to be honest clubs like ourselves who make a lot of our money out of gate receipts could be in for a rough ride
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

It's a complex and worrying situation, but I believe we would end up better than most should the Premiership be affected.

Within the next ten days, or even less, I can envisage this happening.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

A lot of ticket money I would imagine is already in due to season ticket sales, certainly at Tigers. I have heard that money taken on the day is pretty much revenue neutral. Whether games being postponed could entitle season ticket holders to partial refunds I don’t know without seeing the terms and conditions. The other issue of course could be the Castres game due to be played in early April which was not included in season tickets.
Some clubs, Sale for example I doubt it will affect that much as they never seem to have huge crowds, and must rely on their wealthy backers
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

If any rugby is to be played, it should be the domestic leagues.....scrap the European games which reduce the risk of spreading......this would free up 3 weekends to make up for lost domestic games.....that is if it is at all possible.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

What forces people to fold is cash flow.

That's where teams could struggle.

We should have plenty of notice, but our wage bill is c.£1m a month (slightly more) and we had three games lined up in what I would assume is April's financial month (27th March so after likely monthly payroll, then 3rd and 10th), then 2 in May and the last game in June.

Given season tickets are now on sale the club may ask people to renew earlier than they planned in cash, or borrow against the direct debit sales. We also have an overdraft facility, other available loans, would likely qualify for any government schemes, any CVC money left over and we have shareholder support.

Wasps are most at risk because it is unclear who owns their bond and if they are fan investors who may waive or delay a bond payment or if they have been picked up by someone like SISU looking to force a default. I think all other clubs will be fine, their debt is owned by friendly people or they have a deep rooted local community to rally if it becomes dire.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

These are sad times and everyone keeping well is the priority.
Hopefully, like my wife and I who are lifelong (40years) season ticket holders, true fans will renew their season tickets and get back to cheering the team on home and away next year.
The problem now isn’t just the health issues but the long term economical effects on so many businesses. Tigers, like all clubs is heavily reliant upon the generous sponsorship of companies.
Here’s to all of us being around next season and for the World to heal.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Ian Cant wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:39 pm These are sad times and everyone keeping well is the priority.
Hopefully, like my wife and I who are lifelong (40years) season ticket holders, true fans will renew their season tickets and get back to cheering the team on home and away next year.
The problem now isn’t just the health issues but the long term economical effects on so many businesses. Tigers, like all clubs is heavily reliant upon the generous sponsorship of companies.
Here’s to all of us being around next season and for the World to heal.
Agreed :smt023
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The fact that it could be the end for some fans worries me more.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:31 pm The fact that it could be the end for some fans worries me more.
Indeed. Sorry Tigers but I won't be renewing our season tickets until I know I'm not dead (trying to defy gov policy and not contribute to the supposed but unproven herd immunity theory)
I'm not cynical just experienced
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

The club does need the proper fans more than ever to see it through these tough times ahead - renewals shouldn't be held back, as that could just make it worse for everyone and the club...
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

chewbacca wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:57 pm
jgriffin wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:31 pm The fact that it could be the end for some fans worries me more.
Indeed. Sorry Tigers but I won't be renewing our season tickets until I know I'm not dead (trying to defy gov policy and not contribute to the supposed but unproven herd immunity theory)
Herd immunity can certainly be beneficial. Unfortunately, it needs approximately 60% of the population to have immunity, eg contract the infection and recover, before it kicks in.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

loretta wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:37 pm
chewbacca wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:57 pm
Herd immunity can certainly be beneficial. Unfortunately, it needs approximately 60% of the population to have immunity, eg contract the infection and recover, before it kicks in.
Beneficial in the long run, not in the near future sadly.

Going on global stats a minimum of 2.5% with the virus end up requiring intensive care. 60% of the UK population being immune would require just under 40 million having been infected. 2.5% requiring intensive care would be touching 1 million needing ICU beds. For perspective NHS England has around 4,000 ICU beds at capacity.

Incredibly tough times ahead for the NHS given it's already critically underfunded and short staffed.

Stay safe everyone!