Borthwick arrival

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Borthwick arrival

Post by Scott1 »

Genge, Tom Youngs (capt), Mulipola, Barrow, Kitchener, Ryan, O'Connor, Kalamafoni.

Genge, T Youngs (capt), Cole, Barrow, Kitchener, Hamilton, O'Connor, Kalamafoni.

Our pack for the first two games of MoC full season. Not exactly depowered or are we talking more recent?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Maugers pack in his last game v Saints

Genge, T Youngs (capt), Cole, Barrow, Kitchener, Fitzgerald, O'Connor, Hamilton.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Dom Barrow ,,,huge waste of talent and potential , should have achieved far more
Last edited by kk20gb30 on Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I remember at WR when Barrow and Wells took Exeters lineout and maul to pieces,so much so that they were actually kicking for goal! I thought that was Doms coming out party,shame how his career went.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:49 pm I remember at WR when Barrow and Wells took Exeters lineout and maul to pieces,so much so that they were actually kicking for goal! I thought that was Doms coming out party,shame how his career went.
With Barrow it was injury & attitude me thinks.

As for our attack there were signs towards the end of Maugers first season that we were developing an interesting & potent attack, why it all fell apart is a combination of a lot of things, not sure anyone comes out of it smelling of roses.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:27 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:49 pm I remember at WR when Barrow and Wells took Exeters lineout and maul to pieces,so much so that they were actually kicking for goal! I thought that was Doms coming out party,shame how his career went.
With Barrow it was injury & attitude me thinks.

As for our attack there were signs towards the end of Maugers first season that we were developing an interesting & potent attack, why it all fell apart is a combination of a lot of things, not sure anyone comes out of it smelling of roses.
mmm I think that TY lamping him didn't help his cause either
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

And him seen necking a 2 pint pot in the stand on telly when he was supposed to be rehabing
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

the best coach I ever played under didn't believe in attack as such - he believed that attack only thrived on good quality set piece ball as well as doing the basics at the breakdown well and retain posession - ie if you have enough ball in rugby you score points as gaps appear.
Obviously you need to tackle and defend well too.....

I think the coaching "to do" list must be around the basics that Saracens / Exeter do so well now and those that seem to have left Tigers. They may not excite but they wear you down and are ultra clinical in the red zone - and it is noticeable how accurate their work is at set piece and breakdown.

And I think these aspects have really improved this season with us (albeit from a terrible base) - but more to do obviously

I don't think we need to coach Ford, Manu, TV etc what to do with good ball in space - what to do with slow ponderous or non existent ball is another matter
Less is more....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

In reality the game has changed little.
The bludgeon precedes the rapier.Old school is still effective.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Genge in MOC'S first matches was not the force he is now. In seasons prior to that Kitchener was rated a good understudy to Parling & Slater. Ryan, not good enough, O'Connor when available was decent but no Julian Salvi. Hamilton never stopped trying but was not Premiership quality, Dom Barrow I had high hopes for but for whatever reason he failed. I think that is a de-powered pack compared to previous years.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Perhaps so jtg,my point being it wasnt all Maugers fault like you try to make out all the time though 😜
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:37 am Genge in MOC'S first matches was not the force he is now. In seasons prior to that Kitchener was rated a good understudy to Parling & Slater. Ryan, not good enough, O'Connor when available was decent but no Julian Salvi. Hamilton never stopped trying but was not Premiership quality, Dom Barrow I had high hopes for but for whatever reason he failed. I think that is a de-powered pack compared to previous years.
Hamilton was a Premiership quality 6 but not a premiership quality 8, I said it then and I will say it now a pack of Genge, Youngs, Cole, Barrow, Williams, Hamilton, O’Connor & Kalamafoni was much better than the packs that MOC was selecting.

We were also unfortunate that Mapapalangi wasn’t consistent enough but he was messed around both position and weight wise.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Bunchy wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:28 am I think the coaching "to do" list must be around the basics that Saracens / Exeter do so well now and those that seem to have left Tigers. They may not excite but they wear you down and are ultra clinical in the red zone - and it is noticeable how accurate their work is at set piece and breakdown.
Part of the genius of those two clubs is that they have a simple attacking structure but one that also accommodates individual talent as well. The Sarries structure and tactics in particular are rather brilliant. If you can find it Austin broke down the Sarries outside channel grubber kick tactic which was all based around pulling a pendulum defence apart and applying lots of pressure.

It's also a lot easier to get positive results at the breakdown when you are the team with momentum. A back pedaling defence finds it very hard to slow or steal the ball as we know all too well.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Scott 1 in no way do I blame Aaron Mauger, I was pleased when he was appointed as I thought he would be an ideal backs coach. Unfortunately he was given the title of Head Coach a position it was impossible for him to fill as the forwards coach at the time was Aarons direct boss Cocker and whilst they were both excellent coaches their rugby philosophies were at odds. Simon Cohen has often said that on paper the two should have made a great team, I agree with that but it just didn't, I don't blame either one sometimes two good things don't blend to make a better one. I like both steak & kidney pie and custard but I wouldn't have them together.
I believe that recruitment once Mauger was announced as coming was geared to his style of rugby, we had our moments but it did not work as it should have done. I am of the opinion that Cocker should not have been the one to go, after he departed we did not improve and Mauge's team selection of a lightweight mobile pack to face Exeter resulting in our forwards getting trounced I think led to Aaron's departure.
It is my belief with the benefit of hindsight that mistakes in recruitment were made and our demise from then on are a consequence, I don't blame anybody as I think that at all times everyone was doing their best as they saw it for Tigers, it just didn't work.
I also believe that we are now on the right path in developing our own players boosted by quality signings; at some point in the future again with benefit of hindsight I will actually know and like you and other fans will make my own judgement of the success or failure of that policy.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Just a bit of gentle ribbing jtg. The signs were there that Cockers was already losing it,how much of that was his fault or board interference only some will know. Our worse decision imo though was rehiring MoC after binning Mauge,I dont think I will ever forgive the board for that ,especially Cohen. The "no stone unturned worldwide search" nonsense is still a bitter pill to swallow. Almost as bad as giving Murphy the job after 1 win in 9 iirc. But like you said I do like the idea of Murphy as DOR and like the Borths dynamic. Let's see,but I am looking forward to being a Tigers fan for a change and will renew next season.