Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Re: Borthwick arrival

Post by Chobbsy »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:37 pm
Chobbsy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:30 pm
Baz wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:23 pm This was in the Rugby Paper some time ago:

"The reason Steve Borthwick hasn’t joined Leicester Tigers yet.
Steve Borthwick’s move to Leicester has been delayed as the Tigers season continues to go downhill.
The 39-year-old’s anticipated move to Welford Road was expected to take place after the World Cup in Japan, where he worked as England forwards coach.
However, the move has gone quiet and according to The Rugby Paper this is due to Tigers failing to reach an agreement with the RFU. "

Anyone know the current status?
I asked someone in the know on Saturday and I was told he is still under contract with the RFU until after the tour to Japan in the summer
I don’t know how in the know your contact is Chobbsy but he was never going to Japan
Very in the know :) actually, but I never said he was going to Japan I said his contract is until after the Japan tour and they are trying to sort that out
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:11 am
Mark62 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:37 pm
Chobbsy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:30 pm

I asked someone in the know on Saturday and I was told he is still under contract with the RFU until after the tour to Japan in the summer
I don’t know how in the know your contact is Chobbsy but he was never going to Japan
Very in the know :) actually, but I never said he was going to Japan I said his contract is until after the Japan tour and they are trying to sort that out
Fair enough but that now seems to have been superseded by the report that he gave his 6 months notice in November thus making him available from May.
Still I have a feeling its all going to be irrelevant this season anyway
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Confirmed by Tigers 1 July. Depending on what happen with this season he may get a game or two to experiment before next season starts.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

On a positive - the speculation is now put to bed.
Irrespective of how/when this season ends (Covid-19) the process gets under way and implementations get us ready for a flying start to 2021/2022.
Welcome aboard Stevie B. :smt023
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

One thing that will take some getting used to is seeing Borthwick in Tigers gear, that might bend the mind.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Focussing purely on coaching (i.e. not recruitment, 'vision', club structure which should be the role of other people), what are the specific quick wins which will significantly improve our performance on the pitch?

Line-out seems an obvious one.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Agree.The Line-Out has to be one of the first ports of call.Should we get this facet of the game fully functional in combination with Scrum and Maul there will be countless opportunities created.Old school can still be very effective and with strength here the pressure should ease on the backs having to perform..Simplistic, yes ; but potent - if we can get it right.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Hopefully he will end the persistent and aimless practice of kicking the ball away. We will have more in attack than one out runners. We will have more than one way to play. We can keep hold of the ball in contact and we don't run away from support get isolated and turned over. That would be transformational :smt003
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Agreed - small increments
1/ Functioning lineout
2/ Support play
3/ Heads up rugby

The defence was better than last season. Blooded youngsters this season.
Attack will come with the above three increments. They are fixable.....

Likewise seeing Stevie B in tiger stripes rather than Barff hoops or Sarries black will be one to Savour and digest.
Come on Stevie B....
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Completely agree regarding the lineout, but you have to wonder, with the experience that we've had at lock, Lavanini, Spencer, Green etc why it hasn't been functioning. I guess that will be Borthwick's task as well. I kept hearing that Green was one of the best lineout operators, particularly on opposition ball, where he was the top stealer last season (I think). That doesn't seem to have translated across to Tigers so far. I get that the lineout is made up of many components, call, throw, timing, lift, jump, catch etc but you'd think that the experience we have would have been able to sort that out.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

RichieB wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:19 am Focussing purely on coaching (i.e. not recruitment, 'vision', club structure which should be the role of other people), what are the specific quick wins which will significantly improve our performance on the pitch?

Line-out seems an obvious one.
Defence. This has got better but can still be improved a lot more. I hate our drift defence, there’s no need for it. Go back to basics. When the backs line up, your opposite player is your man and your responsibility. Having watched the 2 Euro finals on Sunday, these were 2 games where we didn’t concede a try in either match and Healey said that with 5 minutes to go, Tigers players knew they weren’t going to concede a try so knew the games were won with 5 minutes to go. Get this right and we will be in the top 4.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Cant always use blitz defence ,especially if you are not numbered up. If your winger or last man on the outside hasnt bit in and dropped back then you have to use the drift defence using the touchline as a defender. Blitz is in its best form when you are lined up defending multiphase then you can use it to your advantage with aggressiveness and you can get your 13 to rush up first and keep the ball infield.to try and force a mistake. The art of good defence is seamlessly transitioning between the two and having good communication, that's why Allen and guys like Brad Barritt are gold dust!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I am certain that Steve will have a say in new recruitment, and mention a few names of players he feels would fit his style of play.

Best of luck Steve. :smt023
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:44 pm Cant always use blitz defence ,especially if you are not numbered up. If your winger or last man on the outside hasnt bit in and dropped back then you have to use the drift defence using the touchline as a defender. Blitz is in its best form when you are lined up defending multiphase then you can use it to your advantage with aggressiveness and you can get your 13 to rush up first and keep the ball infield.to try and force a mistake. The art of good defence is seamlessly transitioning between the two and having good communication, that's why Allen and guys like Brad Barritt are gold dust!
I'm not particularly qualified to say so but I'd agree with this. It's horses for courses.