Players Eddie should take to Japan

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Players Eddie should take to Japan

Post by JP14 »

Obviously this is all Covid-19 pending but with regulations regarding that some players (definitely Youngs and Farrell) will have to be rested, what players would you like to see go to Japan?

On my initial list would be
  • Will Capon (Bears)
  • Jake Cooper-Woolley (Sale)
  • Alex Dombrandt (Harlequins)
  • Ollie Lawrence (Warriors)
  • Harry Randall (Bears)
Any other players, can’t think of any realistic Tigers players, perhaps Heyes, Steward or van Poortvliet?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Players Eddie should take to Japan

Post by Mark62 »

I think Genge will go and possibly White. Spencer also a possible outside bet.
Given how little rugby he’s played skipper could well be Mark Wilson.

Outside of Tigers it would be good to see the likes of Obamo , Walker, Atkinson, the James brothers, Dombrant, the other Curry, Joe Simmonds, Hill
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Hopefully we will see a smattering of the 6 Nations squad alongside young talents who can offer something different to the current options.

Joe Marchant will be available after the Super Rugby season so definitely hope he travels alongside Lawrence and maybe Dingwall in the centre.

Note this isn't a travelling squad more players I'd like to be involved against the Baabaas and Japan if they go ahead. By the time you account for injuries and replacements the number of players involved usually gets this high anyway.

1.Genge, Obano, Harrison
2.Dunn, Thacker, Singleton, Capon
3.Stuart, Williams, Collier, Stuart
4.Launchbury, Isiekwe
5.Ewels, Kpoku
6.Wilson, Hill, Dombrandt
7.Ludlam, Earl, B Curry
8.Mercer, Simmonds

9.Spencer, J Maunder, Randall
10.Smith, Simmonds, Malins

11.Nowell, Ibitoye
12.Devoto, Lozowski
13.Marchant, Lawrence, Dingwall
14.Thorley, McConnochie
15.Furbank, Mallinder
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I hope the logical step of allowing any player who played at both the world cup and the 6N to have the summer off is taken. All five of our recent internationals should have the summer off. We need to give players appropriate rest before bruising Lions tour next summer.

Now is also a good chance to get the next level of players we are hoping to push into the England side capped before other unions find convenient grandparents and we have a Haley or Thompkins situation again.

Only Tiger I can see going is White unless there's a couple of injuries at tighthead then Heyes should get a go.

A squad something like;

1.Obano, Hepburn, Harrison(?)
2.Dunn, Singleton, Thacker
3.Stuart, Williams, Painter
4.Moon, Isiekwe
5.Ewels, Kpoku
6.Willis, Hill
7.Earl, B Curry
8.Dombrandt, Simmons

9.Spencer, White, Mitchell
10.Smith, Simmonds

11.Loader, Ibitoye
12.Devoto, S James
13.Marchant, Lawrence
14.Thorley, McConnochie
15.Mallinder, Malins
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

ABClub wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:39 pm Hopefully we will see a smattering of the 6 Nations squad alongside young talents who can offer something different to the current options.

Joe Marchant will be available after the Super Rugby season so definitely hope he travels alongside Lawrence and maybe Dingwall in the centre.

Note this isn't a travelling squad more players I'd like to be involved against the Baabaas and Japan if they go ahead. By the time you account for injuries and replacements the number of players involved usually gets this high anyway.

1.Genge, Obano, Harrison
4.Launchbury, Isiekwe
5.Ewels, Kpoku
7.Ludlam, Earl, B Curry
8.Mercer, Simmonds

11.Nowell, Ibitoye
12.Devoto, Lozowski
14.Thorley, McConnochie
15.Furbank, Mallinder
Marchant plays outside of England so is not eligible by my understanding
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

1. Genge, Obano, Hepburn
2. Dunn, Singleton, Thacker
3. Stuart, Williams, Heyes
4. Launchbury, Kpoku
5. Ewels, Isiekwe
6. Hill, Willis
7. Earl, Ludlam, B Curry
8. Dombrandt, S Simmonds
9. Mitchell, Maunder, White
10. Smith, J Simmonds
11. Thorley, Ibitoye
12. Devoto, Mallinder, Redpath
13. Marchant, Lawrence
14. Loader, Hassell-Collins
15. Malins, Furbank
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:05 pm I hope the logical step of allowing any player who played at both the world cup and the 6N to have the summer off is taken. All five of our recent internationals should have the summer off. We need to give players appropriate rest before bruising Lions tour next summer.

Now is also a good chance to get the next level of players we are hoping to push into the England side capped before other unions find convenient grandparents and we have a Haley or Thompkins situation again.

Only Tiger I can see going is White unless there's a couple of injuries at tighthead then Heyes should get a go.

A squad something like;

4.Moon, Isiekwe
5.Ewels, Kpoku
6.Willis, Hill
7.Earl, B Curry
8.Dombrandt, Simmons

10.Smith, Simmonds

11.Loader, Ibitoye
12.Devoto, S James
13.Marchant, Lawrence
14.Thorley, McConnochie
15.Mallinder, Malins
Some players who played in both World Cup and 6 nations such as Ellis Genge, in fact played very little rugby. That’s why I believe the likes of Ellis and Mark Wilson should go.
As for the Lions far too early to be planning for that in terms of the club.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Chobbsy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:07 pm
ABClub wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:39 pm Hopefully we will see a smattering of the 6 Nations squad alongside young talents who can offer something different to the current options.

1.Genge, Obano, Harrison
4.Launchbury, Isiekwe
5.Ewels, Kpoku
7.Ludlam, Earl, B Curry
8.Mercer, Simmonds

11.Nowell, Ibitoye
12.Devoto, Lozowski
14.Thorley, McConnochie
15.Furbank, Mallinder
Marchant plays outside of England so is not eligible by my understanding
Contracted in England, merely on loan outside. The RFU will spin that whichever way they feel like.

Collier though? He's 28 and has never been more than solid. I'd rather look at Painter, Hill, Judge, Heyes before him.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:34 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:05 pm I hope the logical step of allowing any player who played at both the world cup and the 6N to have the summer off is taken. All five of our recent internationals should have the summer off. We need to give players appropriate rest before bruising Lions tour next summer.

A squad something like;

4.Moon, Isiekwe
5.Ewels, Kpoku
6.Willis, Hill
7.Earl, B Curry
8.Dombrandt, Simmons

10.Smith, Simmonds

11.Loader, Ibitoye
12.Devoto, S James
13.Marchant, Lawrence
14.Thorley, McConnochie
15.Mallinder, Malins
Some players who played in both World Cup and 6 nations such as Ellis Genge, in fact played very little rugby. That’s why I believe the likes of Ellis and Mark Wilson should go.
As for the Lions far too early to be planning for that in terms of the club.
This isn't club rugby it's international rugby. They should be looking at the bigger picture and what successive summer tours will do to players. Genge, Launchbury etc may not have played many minutes but they still had a full summer of contact training before returning to play club rugby. A proper summer off with a full pre season will leave them stronger for the AIs and less likely to be broken before the 6N.

And don't knock the chance to cap a swathe of the next generation before Wales, Scotland and Ireland descend with the shopping basket again.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I understand what your saying but players will tell you that an international pre season/tour in the protected environment that it is in is less arduous than club pre season.
I think the situation regarding Tompkins can be over analysed. Yes he is a great talent but was he ever going to be picked ahead of Manu, Slade or Joseph. Because of the sheer number of EQP there are always going to be players who slip through the net. Polledri is another example but is he better than the other English options, when you look at the players Eddie isn’t even consist present
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Speaking to some of the back room staff on Saturday, it isn't even confirmed that the tour will go ahead due to the current COVID situation
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

- Genge, Moon, Obano
- Capon, Dunn, Singleton
- Cooper-Woolley, Heyes, Stuart
- Launchbury, Stooke, Ewels, Kpoku
- Dombrandt, Earl, Simmonds, Wilson
- Mitchell, Randall, White
- Grayson, Smith, Umaga (possibly Cips if Jones wants experience?)
- Deveto, Lawrence, Marchant
- Cokanasiga, Loader, McConnochie, Nowell
- Furbank
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:02 pm I understand what your saying but players will tell you that an international pre season/tour in the protected environment that it is in is less arduous than club pre season.
I think the situation regarding Tompkins can be over analysed. Yes he is a great talent but was he ever going to be picked ahead of Manu, Slade or Joseph. Because of the sheer number of EQP there are always going to be players who slip through the net. Polledri is another example but is he better than the other English options, when you look at the players Eddie isn’t even consist present
It's not just the summer tour that adds pressure but it then takes away from the pre season the following year. The summer tour is more competitive rugby full of contact. A pre season at the club will be fitness based and will be based all around preparing the bodies for the next season. The lads who went to the RWC basically played one season, the RWC and then another season. Player welfare should come in.

Thompkins I'd have had ahead of Joseph. His best position is 12 which is why he isn't flying fully for Wales. That's also what would have held him back for England as he'd have been behind Farrell.
JP14 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:12 pm - Genge, Moon, Obano
- Capon, Dunn, Singleton
- Cooper-Woolley, Heyes, Stuart
- Launchbury, Stooke, Ewels, Kpoku
- Dombrandt, Earl, Simmonds, Wilson
- Mitchell, Randall, White
- Grayson, Smith, Umaga (possibly Cips if Jones wants experience?)
- Deveto, Lawrence, Marchant
- Cokanasiga, Loader, McConnochie, Nowell
- Furbank
I'd have the Simmons lad from Exeter before either Grayson or Umaga, neither of those lads look ready for international rugby. Whether capping Umaga early might prove an astute choice with Samoa likely to be monitoring the situation and NZ an outside option.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I don’t rate Simmonds as much as Smith, Grayson or Umaga.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

He won’t take Randall or Thacker.